Seeker and combat ?

How does the Seeker do in combat since they use beams and can't summon mobs to them? It always seems mobs are always in groups and it would be hard to pull one at a time with the skills Seekers have. Been thinking about making one my main. Is this a bad idea?

it all depends on your play style.  Pre-wipe I played a JS as my main, and did pretty good, post-wipe my JE's been my main and my JD's my secondary.  This time around I've found that I depend on the shield leech/energy leech skills and when I play my JS solo I run out of energy (a problem I didn't have when my JS was my main).  If I could remember what I did differently pre-wipe I'd share it, but I do still like my JS, she just has to travel with either the JE or JD.

• 5 months later...

For combat you want any device that improves your reactor cap, and recharge.  Coma is a good device for any Jenquai playing solo, it reduces enemy scanner range.  If you want to fight with energy beams, get a Manticore device, if you're using Plasma beams get a Chimaera.  Use plasma unless the enemy either weak to energy or resistant/immune to plasma.  JT is the only Jenquai that can debuff both energy & plasma.

As with any Jenquai get to EL25 as soon as you can for Combat Cloak.  You'll use it plenty.  Shoot your enemies from behind.  It's been a while since I last played, but unless it's changed, beams & projectile weapons cannot shoot backwards.   Cloak when you're not shooting.  Put 3 points into Fold Space.  Teleport enemy gives you some crowd control ability, it's cheap & casts quickly.  If successful it will teleport your enemy away from you but it's not 100% and can be resisted.  Don't try to tank using shield recharge, play stealthily instead, avoiding damage is a better option than shield recharge when playing solo.