Compulsory Contemplation

Do correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell, the JE's "Compulsory Contemplation" skill is essentially the same thing as the TE's bio-suppression skill or the TT's Befriend skill. I'm aware that you can't change anything on the client side, but since the mechanics are already in-game (in aforementioned classes), wouldn't this make it relatively easy to implement? Would it still require client-side changes (and therefore can never be done) ?

Are you volunteering to code it? Because if you are, that would be a welcome contribution.

The reason there is no skills work going on is a lack of people involved at the programming level, not because we could <crib> code from other skills to Band-Aid a solution together.

There are other properties to CC besides the ones you've mentioned, as well as triggering the correct code in the client from the server on activation.

But I'm confident your skills will be a valuable addition to the team, please speak to Kyp.

• Downvote 1

CC did other things besides the befriend or bio-repress. CC basicly made the mob as long as you maintained the skill and distance to hold it stare at it's navel. It held still and did NOTHING nor reacted to effects around it, nor react to what happened while it was effected, that is an important distinction. The timer to CC was basicly how long you stayed in range and how long your reactor could stand the drain.

Bio-repress = the mob is still mad at you, wants to kill you, will go about doing so as soon as the effect wears off, it will tell any buddies near it that you are a enemy if it can (unless you use the right lvl of skill that represses the communication) and even at the highest lvls of skill, it still can use passive skills. Get the difference?

Befriend = makes the mob be your buddy i.e. temporary ally as long as the effect lasts or until you attack one of it's real allies, or attack it, making it a new enemy. It can use any of it's skills on itself and other allies while it's befriended (like toss rally and stuff). Get the difference?

Both Befriend and Bio-repress have a duration limit, can hit or miss, and can be broken under certain conditions, once the effects wear off, they can and will react to what has befallen them or their allies while under the effects.

CC however  was 100% hit, no hit or miss, basicly makes them null while it's on and not attacked. If you attack their ally while they are under CC, they don't know it and more important won't aggro once it's off. Like the old hogan's heroes Sgt. Shultz was want to quote, "I see Nothing...nothing!" This skill had a limited application, but was valuable in the right fight, not so much to all the others. Just to give an example, during live there were high end RD in Inverness zone, they were paired 50/51, 51/52. with CC a JE could hold one of the RD totally out of the fight while the rest of the group could solo up on the other RD and once the battle was over, then the group could solo up on the other..or for that matter leave the new solo RD alone. If everyone in the group was at least neutral to RD the new solo RD wouldn't even attack..it was staring at it's navel the whole time.

.. and I think you've mistaken brevity for sarcasm.

I read some of your other posts where you have made reference to being a software developer, and I'm inferring from that you have some coding skills. Hence the question if you were offering to code that, and the suggestion to speak to Kyp is a valid one, as he would be the person to discuss any involvement with the coding group.

If there had been sarcasm, it would have been far more obvious.

8 minutes ago, Arthurdent said:

.. and I think you've mistaken brevity for sarcasm.

I read some of your other posts where you have made reference to being a software developer, and I'm inferring from that you have some coding skills. Hence the question if you were offering to code that, and the suggestion to speak to Kyp is a valid one, as he would be the person to discuss any involvement with the coding group.

If there had been sarcasm, it would have been far more obvious.

If I had been offering my skills, it would have been far more obvious.  :-)

Hm, seems to me from an objective view that if you want to see those changes faster, offering wouldn't be a bad thing. But hey, if not, you're welcome to wait until we get around to it. :)

8 minutes ago, Kyp said:

Hm, seems to me from an objective view that if you want to see those changes faster, offering wouldn't be a bad thing. But hey, if not, you're welcome to wait until we get around to it. :)

LOL. I was not for even a second pushing for it to be done faster. I wasn't even aware that it was even in the works at all and you would have realized that if you read my original post more carefully.

As per my original post, you can see I am asking whether it's even possible to do it at all or not (because I don't know if it requires changes on the client side or not). Now that I know you guys have it on your roadmap, I'm quite happy.

Well, a reasoning individual can infer from Arthur's first post that it's possible, I would assume being a logical person (since you must be as a programmer) you would have also gathered this.

*edit*

Before what I said is mistaken, I mean specifically not cribbing code and mish-mashing, but that it IS possible to do it right.

1 hour ago, Kyp said:

Well, a reasoning individual can infer from Arthur's first post that it's possible, I would assume being a logical person (since you must be as a programmer) you would have also gathered this.

*edit*

Before what I said is mistaken, I mean specifically not cribbing code and mish-mashing, but that it IS possible to do it right.

Firstly: Ouch, that was a rather subtle and uncalled for jab.

Secondly: What you're saying doesn't even make sense anyway:

"Well, a reasoning individual can infer from Arthur's first post that it's possible"
- You mean his response to my post? How is that an argument? I said this:

"As per my original post, you can see I am asking whether it's even possible to do it at all or not"

It seems as if you are saying I'm unreasonable for not seeing Arthur's response to my question before I asked the question. Wow..

Have a nice day Kyp.

No, I mean Arthur's first post, while it is a reply to you, it is still his first post on this thread. I'm not saying you're unreasonable, I just made the assumption, given that he said he'd seen you suggest elsewhere that you were a programmer, that you would see that from his response. I would have.

Not a jab at all, promise you if I jab you, you'd know. It seems this time you are mistaking my directness as rudeness. I am a direct person and don't believe in beating around the bush so I say exactly what I'm trying to say the first time. I do not concern myself with offense to others because that makes for inefficient communication. The vast majority of the problems in this world are due to poor communications in my experience.

My apologies Kyp. I may have misunderstood you... because even now I am not so sure what you are trying to point me to with Arthur's first response. I assumed you were meaning I should have realized you guys were going to implement the contemplation skill and that it is possible. Forgive me if I am being dense, but what exactly is it that I should have seen from his response if you were not referring to the contemplation skill?

LoL .. sometimes reading the forums requires popcorn for the show.

Kyp means that my original post refers to this : yes, the skill can/will be coded at some future date, skills development and implementation is not currently a priority, nor is converting some older content to new mechanisms (I refer specifically here to the high-end/endgame stuff). When it is time to attack that area, it will not / cannot be a cribbed or mishmash of two other skills for all the reasons I pointed to briefly and Matt explained more thoroughly.

With our current timeline for migration, development and available staff assignments, we're literally burning midnight oil here (as you can guess we're currently doing prep work on the server migration and bugfixing Sunrise while replying) and then all have to get up tomorrow morning for work.

The pendulum will swing back, and some of those other issues will also be looked at. I'm sure that when it does, there will be suggestions for more new content while our focus is on remedial patching and enhancements, or some other issue will be pointed at while we're working elsewhere. THAT was why I asked if you were volunteering lol.

LOL.. yes indeed.. bring on the popcorn.

Anyway, there was obvious misunderstanding here.. while I was talking about X, you guys were talking about Y.. or whatever..

Yes, of course I could see from your (Arthur) first post that it was possible. Here's the comment that started this confusion:

"...I was not for even a second pushing for it to be done faster. I wasn't even aware that it was even in the works at all...   ... As per my original post, you can see I am asking whether it's even possible to do it at all or not... "

I said this because Kyp seemed to think I was trying to hurry you guys up and bitching about why it's taking so long. I was simply pointing out the fact that it's odd for him to extrapolate that from my original post where one could see at that time (before anyone replied) that I didn't even know it was possible... so how come he thinks I'm moaning about it taking so long when I didn't even know it was already on the roadmap?

Then the confusion really set in with this response:

"Well, a reasoning individual can infer from Arthur's first post that it's possible...."

LOL. I think we can all see what's happened there now and lay it to rest.

All the best guys. Keep up the good work.  :-)

Dang it...scrapping the bottom of the popcorn bag..time to trudge off and refill it, I'm thirsty, maybe a coke to go with it.

KK, here is the thing, there are "other" players with a nastier disposition that have felt it was their due to complain about A,B or C skill not working.....or X,Y or Z content in or not in and "why haven't they got that in or fixed that or what takes so long to do N". They have felt it was their RIGHT to criticize the free game, the unpaid staff and whatever they percieved is or isn't working to their satisfaction or fixed fast enough or responded to.

Not only is it not their right to be abusive, even IF the game was a subscription, the staff paid or the game complete or not, it's simply not conducive to get someone to do something for you, paid or not, if you treat them like shiot. So, in the past, the Dev's have had a two step process of handling people, if the person complaining (they are saying you aren't btw, I'm just explaining).

Step 1. If they have the skills to help and speed up the coding etc. they are invited to audition for a slot to be part of the fix rather than the problem. Some good folks have stepped up in the past and pushed this thing forward.

Step 2. Told that as a free game,  player supported, unpaid staff EMU.....if they don't want to help and can't refrain from being abusive, if they don't like it, lump it, the door is that way --->.

To my knowledge very, very few folks have had to be banned for assbaggery. They are rather tolerant from what I've seen, but like everyone else, they don't like to be criticized for what is a labor of love. I know I don't. So they offered you response #1 without comment and some brevity. It may have been taken wrong since they have to say it so much, sort of like the wal-mart greeter that has to say, " welcome to wal-mart......have a nice day" 10k times each day, day in and day out....you get it going by rote.

They say they didn't mean offense, I'm sure they didn't, see above as to why it was what it was ^^^^

:) as always great job guys....thanks for what you do, keep it coming I'm a  fan.

Matt

Edited by Mattsacre
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Matt; it's quite a crappy attitude some people have, so I guess I can understand if the staff get frustrated when some people behave in such a manner... however, it's also not very nice to be on the receiving end of that frustration when you haven't been the one causing the frustration. I never made a single complaint whatsoever, let alone said anything about it taking too long.

Anyway, never mind that... I think that bag of popcorn is getting a bit mouldy now...  :-D

Regarding my development experience, I am a .NET developer (mostly MVC web development). I am not a game developer. So I probably wouldn't be of much use to you guys. But if there is anything you think I might be able to help with, feel free to reach out.. I will let you know if I can help or not.

If you have experience with C# you could contribute, most of my content development tools are written with it. :)

Never know for sure until you ask, but I don't expect anyone to do so, it has to be something you volunteer for as it's a lot of work and whatnot.

11 hours ago, Kyp said:

If you have experience with C# you could contribute, most of my content development tools are written with it. :)

Never know for sure until you ask, but I don't expect anyone to do so, it has to be something you volunteer for as it's a lot of work and whatnot.

Well, without further info it's hard to tell whether I'd be interested (or even have the right skillset). Send me a private message with further details and I can let you know whether I'd be up for it or not.