Since it's coming up on computer upgrade time of the year what are you guys running?

What are your plans?

My Current tower is:  http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Scootemagoo/library/Thermaltake core x9?sort=4&page=1

Thermaltake Core x9 case (air cooled atm but with new hardware comes more opportunities)

2 evga 670 SC 4gb cards ran in or out of sli (depends on the game e&b doesn't seem to care one way or another)

AMD fx-6100 stock clocking xboost enabled in the bios

16gb of gskill ddr3 ram

Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer MOBO

Coolermaster 212 evo cpu cooler(was a lot quieter then the 80mm fan on the original cpu cooler.. silence is golden)

2 200mm fans in the front a 120 and 140mm in the back (120 to be replaced with another noctua 140)

Logitech g402 mouse and a g910 keyboard

Sound Klipsche r6 reference earbuds best 80 bucks I ever spent on a computer.

Evga b2 750 psu Semi modular gonna probably pick up a full modular psu and train and tuck wires again. See the psu pictures for why.

1 Samsung evo 850 500gb m.2

2 Samsung evo 850 250gb ssd's<-- 1 currently it's match is in my laptop I plan on buying 3 more and dumping the 1tb rotationals.

2 WD Green 1TB

1 3tb Seagate.

Future plans first purchase is going to be an Evga 1070 SC black edition(it's a black case and mobo..)<-- done

Tax return intel 6700k/not sure on mobo maker but evga seems to be a common theme and probably 16gb of good ram,

I'm looking at a 1440p monitor or a second 1080p not sure which yet but something 30ish inch is in my crosshairs.

So post up whatcha runnin and what you want to do with it.

Update I am running the 1070 SC Black now(pictures in the pbucket link) and maybe a benchmark maybe. 1000+ fps in e&b is hilarious about that vsync option LOLOL.

Update 2

So since it's now almost tax season (early jan 17 atm) I'm getting ready to do the dirty and buy the parts to update my comp.

Motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132927&cm_re=z270-_-13-132-927-_-Product

CPU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117726&cm_re=7700k-_-19-117-726-_-Product

I'm working out ram atm it'll be 2 x 8gb and probably gskill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232217

I finally decided on ram 2x8 Gskill Ripjaws 5 3200 14/14/14/34 ram. If I need more I'll buy a second kit.

Evga will get money for a psu again, this time a fully modular gold 80 or better either 650 or 750w as I do intend on buying a second 1070 in the future.

Yes this computer will be fast.. I've always tried to buy good parts I am a firm believer in buy quality once and not junk 2/3 times.

So yes this is going to cost roughly 650-700 bucks for mobo/cpu/ram. Ryzen is on delay, so unless it makes a comeback before mid feb I'll be doing intel for the well first time I paid for it and second time on running it vrs 4 different amd proc's over the last 15 years..

Do I need this much computer, probably not but I'm trying to not build a new computer for 3-5 years maybe a gpu update but the mobo and stuff should last me into 2020 and beyond.

Have an opinion or comment please feel free to add one this is an open forum and what would you do differently?

I could go with a cheaper mobo and a 7600k instead but I want a good/excellent sound card/dac which this has, and water cooling headers and usb 2.0/3.0/3.1 etc connectors and until hardware is only usb 3 or faster life still happens. As for the cpu why not >;) you only live once.

All righty. I grabbed my ankles.

Motherboard

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132927

(See Above Picture)

Ram
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232217

Water Cooling
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181103

(See Above Picture)

CPU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117726

The computer is complete, games are engaged and holy stuffins batman is it fast.

I'm highly impressed with the hardware I chose, the motherboard software(ai suite specifically) not so much. It's buggy as hell to install it.

20170218_014151_zpswfhlhjni.jpg

*that 240mm radiator looks so tiny*

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18104835

This is a 3dmark benchmark at 5.2ghz(yes it overclocks exceptionally well, I got a pretty good silicon lottery cpu)

This shows the hardware inside so you can see whats up. Any questions please feel free to ask.

I am impressed with windows 10 as I had the amd fx6100 install and drivers on my m.2 drive and it took about 5 minutes to redo itself and the drivers and it ran fine.

I did reinstall windows again and damn near ran into the commiecast 1tb dl limit for the month reinstalling games for the second time in 3 days.

As a whole the corsair h110i v2 runs flawlessly and the software works without issues. No Complaints. I'll give it 1.5 thumbs up and only because i have a stupidly large case and the lines on it are to long... or way way to short. Now if I can pop the lines out and stick g1/4 fittings in it would get a 2 thumbs up and a rezeviour and a 480 rad instead of a 240 but I digress.

Asus software not so hot a lot of bugs on installing a few things ai suite and the soundcard software(altho once installed the soundcard software is pretty decent and .. holy stuffins does it sound nice). If you are contemplating a new build, Buy a nice mobo with the new realtek or creative sound cards onboard. They are far superior to the realtek 1220 that has been out for years. This is one reason alone to buy a gaming mobo.

Ram what can we say z270 base is 2400mhz ram i bought is 3200 and as it's on the qvl list from asus it ran xmp1 and clocked the cpu to 4.8 without doing a thing, I tinkered with settings and got it to run stable at 5.2 and produced the benchmark I posted the link to above with the stars aligning I could crack 17,000 (I had a 20002 graphics score on a previous test), which is pretty damned good. Windows crashes at 5.3ghz so 5.2 is about it's limit, which is more then I expected.

In short I'd like to see a similar amd cpu in ryzen, I've had amd systems for years.. But as a first time intel buyer.. HOLYF***, this things fast. I hope the amd's run as well as this does.

Comments opinions(no you can't have it so don't ask... MINE!!)

I'll post here anything I find interesting bad ram performance etc..

I sure hope dropping 800+ makes it faster then a amd 6 core

LOL, I got you beat....my laptop which I played, has some sort of power, not starting up problem. I starts up and before it gets to the start page just quits. Since I'm not a techie, I've let that computer sit around while I consider either having to pay to have it looked into, or actually waiting and buying a new one.

While I ponder that, I've been playing this game at a much more primitive POS than you Prre. How about a 2002, off the shelf, wal-mart special: Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz 1G Ram windows XP Dell (dude, your going to get a dell...your going to hate it.) :)

OK Magoo, here goes:

Tower case is 10 years old now, has seen 3 systems in its lifetime: Black Silverstone Temjin TJ10 NVIDIA Edition.

Mobo is a 2 year old Asus Republic of Gamers Crosshair V Formula Z. Still sold as an AMD flagship board too.

Processor is an AMD FX 8350 Black Edition 8-Core. Runs at 4.5 GHz with minimal heat and no issues.

Packed the board with 32 GB of AMD Radeon R9 2400.

Video uses a pair of 2GB PNY GTX 660 XLR8. Not much these wont run. I might trade these out for a pair of Titans down the road.

Primary storage is a Samsung 512 GB 850 PRO. Plenty fast for anything installed. Other storage is handled in a pair of 2TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1, because i'm tired of losing my backups. Then 4 more 1TB Barracudas for anything else.

System cooling is handled by a Thermaltake Water 3.0 closed loop cooler. The radiator uses 2 120mm fans and is silent. The case has 3 additional 120s ran through a Zalman MFC2 digital controller.

Audio is handled by a SoundBlaster ZxR pushing a set of Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultras. Has a tenancy to shake pictures off the walls. The legacy Creative Alchmey sound drivers give full 3D sound back to EnB. It's nice to hear a rocket launch behind you and explode in front.

All is powered by an ancient Thermaltake Toughpower 750 watt. 10 years old and still kicking. A modular power supply would be a nice upgrade.

A set of cathode black lights makes the case glow.

Lets see if I cant dig up a picture of it...

Its a bit dusty, but still works.

20160921_024038 (Medium).jpgI took advantage of Black Friday and bought a pair of ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo editions. Took some time and cleaned the case and got the lights working again. Bought the Nvidia branded SLI bridge connector. Had to upgrade the ancient 750 watt power supply for a 1000 watt Toughpower for the extra PCIE connectors. 

20161222_225300 (Medium).jpg

Edited by Higginz
  • Upvote 1

Somewhere in a closet I've got a Compaq Armada M700, it plays the game as long as you don't leave the station.  Beyond that I've got a couple laptops bought from pawn stores, most are slowish but can handle the game

• 3 weeks later...

I built my computer a couple of years ago. A website called pc part picker helps a lot. It will help you make sure your parts are compatible and your power supply is the right size. Plus it will shop around for you to get a good price. www.pcpartpicker.com 

Edited by ses2994

• 4 weeks later...

I built mine back in 2013 which I game on it.

The thing is built into a Thermaltake Chaser MK 1 case

Has a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 board
Has 16 GB's of ram

2x nVidia EVGA 650 TI Boost cards running 2 GB each

850 Watt power supply

AMD 8 core running 4.0 GHz processor

Will get pictures of it but I must find where I put them. But any who that's a short, sweet, simple run down on my gaming machine.

On 2/7/2017 at 11:47 PM, Mauiman said:

I built mine back in 2013 which I game on it.

The thing is built into a Thermaltake Chaser MK 1 case

Has a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 board
Has 16 GB's of ram

2x nVidia EVGA 650 TI Boost cards running 2 GB each

850 Watt power supply

AMD 8 core running 4.0 GHz processor

Will get pictures of it but I must find where I put them. But any who that's a short, sweet, simple run down on my gaming machine.

Believe it or not I have 2 670 sc's 4gb cards still and the asrock x990 mobo so I can appreciate this.