Goodbye to you all.....

I know from working with another emulator project (UO) that sudden changes like this often boil down to technical or human errors rather than abuses of power; and a hasty decision based on the former case is often regrettable in hindsight. So I would have waited to see if it is the former case (but as an innocent bystander maybe there's more context I'm not aware of).

It's none of my business really, but that also begs the question of why you put an internal dev team issue out there for all of us community members to read and comment on.

If every dev team member jumped up and left every time a new surprise inconvenienced him or her, I'm sure the project would run out of dev team members fairly quickly.

Thank you for the work you put into the game though.

If every dev team member jumped up and left every time a new surprise inconvenienced him or her, I'm sure the project would run out of dev team members fairly quickly.

I put it here so I could read the responses as my forum access will be removed.

Its not a new surprise. Its an old one returned.

A simple message to me with an explanation via the forums on the 2 occasions would have been sufficient.

I'd have to agree with Proteus. To me it sounds like a simple error, especially since you were re-classified to 2 different things. If someone was personally changing your status, you'd think that once they saw you were given your Dev status, they would have put you back on "player." (What they wanted you to be in the first place) Not change it to something else.

Someone was probably just tinkering around, and something broke. Happens all the time. Probably also why you weren't notified, since it wasn't done intentionally, no one knew there was a problem.

Of course this is all from an outsider and I can only go on the info that was given.

Sounds like this has been a long time coming, and this is just the last straw for you. Sorry that this has been so frustrating, but if you arent finding anymore enjoyment out of this project, maybe it is time to move on. Thank you for all the work that you have put into resurrecting this great game. Good luck.

Well,

I can't say I didn't know the hammer was falling. I can say that I'm not the one who pulled developer access to the play server. I don't think that anyone posted notice as they should have and I will see to it that the powers that be do so, but here's the situaton.

Everyone should realize by this time that we are serious about a *PLAYABLE* Earth & Beyond Emulator. I mean, afterall the name of this project *IS* The Earth & BeyondTM EmulatorSM. So here's the deal...

Each one of you should know there is a NET-7 EntertainmentTM (NET-7) Code of Conduct (CoC), a Terms of Service (ToS), and an End User License Agreement (EULA). If you don't know there are these *legal* documents, then you had best look in these forums and find them! If you disagree that this is just a hap-hazard project then I do apologize; the developers of this project, both content and server/master code, are serious about the completion of this project. If you disagree with any part of these documents then I do apologize but... tough titty said the kitty!

To this date there have been gross neglect, abuse of administrative powers and worse. By worse, I mean that the last player wipe and migration from Stress Test 3 to Stress Test 4 was the direct result of a small group of players lead by 1 asshole with administrative abilities who blatantly abused authority, disrupted gameplay and singlehandedly destroyed the balance in the game mechanics of ST4. Those individuals out there reading this post *KNOW* who you are. And this will no longer be tolerated. The "Developers" have direct domain over the server located at dev.net-7.org. The play server is, however, the domain of the individuals that this project was originally meant for. Those people are YOU, THE PLAYER! The ones who in the back of your minds and the depths of your hearts held out hope that some day you would be able to fly the skies of Earth & Bayond once more.

To this end, these protection steps are now being put in place. If you are a Developer ranked player, you have complete domain on the development server. The play server, however, is the domain of the Players and will be treated as such. If you are a developer and are reading this, and you do not have a direect responsibility to the maintenance of the play server then you will no longer have access. If you are a Developer, I would suggest that you go and re-read the NET-7 CoC. It is my suggestion that you take every word in the legal documents posted in this forum, seriously, to heart. The hammer is falling and it will hit its target tongiht at midnight. While there may be a grace period of 24 hours or so for complete compliance by the development staff there WILL BE a deadline. Any staff members with questions regarding the penalties for non-compliance need to report to Davidr99, Lead Developer or his appointed representatives for a complete breifing.

Why am I telling you this?

First off, I'm replying to this post because apparently no one has actually posted notice and YOU need to know.

Second, it is the personal responsibility of myself and my department to insure that the play server is properly managed and is the best and safest atmosphere for the returning player community their family members and friends that it can possibly be.

The GM staff no longer has any sympathy the for whiney baby, why did you do this, why did you do that, people who, instead of just playing the game, complain at every step thinking that the more alligator tears they show or the more squeek they can add to the wheel that it will make a difference in the way the game is developed or managed. --NO MORE--

This project is RACING toward completion. Earth & BeyondTM EmulatorSM is already more functional than any single MMORPG emulator under development. Complete with Races, Classes, Factions, Skills, Missions, TRADE MACHINES, and every other componanat of the original game as close to live, as we have found evidence to make it.

The working development staff of this game have given their sweat, time and sleepless nights to see that this game is as perfect as it can be for YOU. I, along with my staff at the GM Division of NET-7 EntertainmentTM will give this project every ounce of energy that we can muster to make sure that this game is safe, friendly and an environment that your children, and even in SOME CASES, your Grandchildren can play wtih out fear of cheaters, abusers an other forms of foul play.

So there it is... now I know I have done 2 things in this repsonse, I have said way too much but, I have also not said enough. If anyone reading this post decides they are going to leave the project then so be it, it will be on my head. But if you are reading this post and you are serious about seeing this project to completion, then YOu are the people that deserve to be here anyway!

Everyone, The notices are simple. The CoC is located in the "Announcements" section of this forum, the Player Rules re located in the GM General forum of this board under "Rules to Abide By." All documents pertaining to rules, regulations, conduct and game play are now located in the E&B Emulator Wiki. I suggest that ANYONE reading THIS post, be it player or staff, go read the rules and codes that you are required to abide by. These are the NET-7 Bylaws as they relate to the the staff and to the public. These rules are LAW and cast in stone. They are YOUR responsibility to read, know and understand.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

Sorry guys but Im resigning from the team and project.

I was a DEV back in the days when we only had SOL to fly around and i worked on the sector / content planner and I did the original layouts for Earth, Luna and High Earth Sectors.

After about 18 months on the EMU I left due to real life issues.

At the beginning of this year I came back to the EMU with a lot of free time to dedicate to the progression of the game.

Again I was given DEV status as I was assigned to the Web Dev team.

About 4 weeks ago my account was set to DEV ingame and on Forums due to my team status, then for reasons unknown to me it was reset to player.

After speaking with AFvet on TS, he reset me back to DEV status.

I now log in to find its been set to HLP, with no notice or explanation.

The above reason is why I have decided to leave the team as I will not be part of a group where people with "power" have free roam to reset others accounts without prior notice.

How much effort does it take to compose a message via the forums with an explanation to whats going on. Answer = Very Little.

Ive been assigned to work on the new Net-7 site and in particular the User CP. HOW CAN I DO THIS WHEN I HAVE THE BASIC LEVEL OF ACCESS !!!

I need to be able to log in as a varying number of account types to see if the information displayed is correct.

Anyways..

Enough is enough.

Please delete my 2 accounts linked to my user name as I will not be logging in anymore.

Ill keep my forum access so I can see how things are going.

Good luck with the rest of the EMU and I hope you get it working back as LIVE was or better.

Fly safe.

out.

Hey Shadex,

I am really sorry you are leaving because of lack of access to the play server. I am in the process of redoing a lot of access to the servers. We have had a few problems with access and the other night we decided it would be best if we limit who has access to commands. I am in the process of adding 2 new types of access levels, one for the new graphics team and one for the web development team. Until this is all worked out I will be keeping you guys at the access level of "helper". At this time I do not feel we need to give dev access to people who do not need to be using the slash commands. Many of the slash commands can make the server unstable.

Thanks,

David

The GM staff no longer has any sympathy the for whiney baby, why did you do this, why did you do that, people who, instead of just playing the game, complain at every step thinking that the more alligator tears they show or the more squeek they can add to the wheel that it will make a difference in the way the game is developed or managed. --NO MORE--

Could we have some elaboration on this one?

I understand this to be a stress test, an experimental/testing build to determine what if anything is broken or need changed or rebalanced. I don't see how it is useful to express a confrontational attitude between people who are attempting to provide feedback therefore and the GM team?

Edited by Mneme

...By worse, I mean that the last player wipe and migration from Stress Test 3 to Stress Test 4 was the direct result of a small group of players lead by 1 asshole with administrative abilities who blatantly abused authority, disrupted gameplay and singlehandedly destroyed the balance in the game mechanics of ST4. Those individuals out there reading this post *KNOW* who you are. And this will no longer be tolerated...

First of all, THANK YOU for posting and letting the community know what is going on. It is greatly appreciated. I am curious about the quoted section though. If someone was abusing their powers to further along themselves, and from the wording their friends, will action be taken against ALL of them or only the person who abused the powers? Sadly it seems most players are only concerned with playing the game and reaching max level, they forget this is a TESTING phase still.

Reguardless, I hope you guys get it all ironed out and it makes things easier on you guys in the long run.

... By worse, I mean that the last player wipe and migration from Stress Test 3 to Stress Test 4 was the direct result of a small group of players lead by 1 asshole with administrative abilities who blatantly abused authority, disrupted gameplay and singlehandedly destroyed the balance in the game mechanics of ST4. Those individuals out there reading this post *KNOW* who you are. And this will no longer be tolerated.

WOW is T20 playing this game too???

sorry couldn't resist..

DRAMA

DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA

Don't mind me, I'll be enjoying a damn fine job of emulation while remaining wilfully ignorant of the internal squabbles of the people who make it possible. I think this is the right way to go for most here. I've been on the inside on too many mod and server projects, I just want to enjoy it from the outside.

Well,

To this date there have been gross neglect, abuse of administrative powers and worse. By worse, I mean that the last player wipe and migration from Stress Test 3 to Stress Test 4 was the direct result of a small group of players lead by 1 asshole with administrative abilities who blatantly abused authority, disrupted gameplay and singlehandedly destroyed the balance in the game mechanics of ST4. Those individuals out there reading this post *KNOW* who you are. And this will no longer be tolerated. The "Developers" have direct domain over the server located at dev.net-7.org. The play server is, however, the domain of the individuals that this project was originally meant for. Those people are YOU, THE PLAYER! The ones who in the back of your minds and the depths of your hearts held out hope that some day you would be able to fly the skies of Earth & Bayond once more.

I have ferreted out all the pretty pictures you paint, and have left in that which bothers you the most. Interesting as it is, you blame one individual for something which anyone and everyone with the powers you listed can and have done for their friends. I was here during ST3, i saw how people (perhaps just 1 person, who knows) abuse power and deleted another players items, made loot only/end game items 0% quality. Yet you seem to think that 1 person swayed the game to a point where a new stress was needed yet fail to mention that a player was stripped of beta+/dev status and systematically abused by those still with the power to do just that during that stress. You fail to mention that after this happened to the man, other players were given items that DO NOT drop in game, yet not a damn thing happened to those giving the items, or the players receiving them. Perhaps the player stripped of status was on the outs and those still with the power didn't really care that what was good for the goose is good for the gander. And quite honestly after this happened to him devs came in market channel, asked, and gave people the exact same shit he gave people. yet...they are still devs and he, acording to you, is an asshole...kinda fucked up , isn't it.

Lets be fair here, don't look for a witch hunt until you have all the facts, don't call out someone and call them an asshole on the forums until you know for sure their intentions to test things in this game were an abuse of power and not for the betterment of this game. Why do I speak for the person I assume your calling an asshole? Because if it's who I think it is, he's more of a man than you for not saying a word as this happened and sucking it up to keep beta testers that have been here from the start, playing. Cause believe it or not, that shit pissed off a whole lot of dedicated people and we'd be saying goodbye to more than just Shaddex for that witch hunt gone wrong.

I understand quite a bit of what you said man, but calling someone out 2 months after stuff happened and being the person was disciplined (stripped of beta/dev powers) by the devs is infantile.

Now the question is. Since I spoke up and defended someone, do I get the same treatment? My uber lv 5 gear reduced to zero? My account banned for speaking the truth? Who knows, after the way this person was treated I don't put anything by anybody. All I know is i want this game to succeed and i would like to be there when it does, but by God if your going to talk shit about someone get your facts straight and keep the rules fair for everyone.

/end rant

edit: And for the record, I never got anything item wise from the man I am speaking about. I got his time dedicated to helping me level my character, and that's it.

editx2 : Shaddex, I hate to see you go dude, you have been an asset to the community and I hope that one day you will reconsider and come back to us.

Bye Shaddex :/ Sad to see you go. You were a hard worker, a good worker.

As for other stuff... guys, I hate to say it, but the drama has always been there inside the dev team. It just gets worse the longer the project goes on, and the more team turnover that occurs because new guys are fighting with old guys and older ways of doing things, and more reorganisation of the team also causes more friction & drama.

Now many of us are "mature" people. Over 18, and comfortable with dealing with anyone IRL and getting along well. BUT, maybe it's anonymity, maybe it's the immaturity factor of liking games and escapism or whatever... but whatever it is, some of us here just do... not... get along well, nor work well together. Others will always exploit their power, and yet others will always plot revenge and risk hurting everyone. I was personally disaffected by drama, and by someone above me. Sure I was pissed for awhile, but it's not worth it. Everyone just get over it :D Game goes on.

AF-Vet is great, but I must disagree with him about how serious a project this all is. This is a fun project. This is and must be entirely not serious. Nothing can be truly "legal" per se, because we are always in a grey area of legality with an emulator - allowed/allowable yes, but never 100% legitimate or legal. No one can claim against the emulator players/devs, nor can the devs claim against anyone, because this is still all someone else's property. I think the more serious, and "professional" some devs try to be, the more drama happens. Bad stuff.

Everyone just needs to enjoy themselves, no matter which side of this community they are on.

Relax

Props to Shad for his new "position" in the community ;) and newfound enjoyment.

• Upvote 1

uh...maybe i'm missing something here...you guys are DEV's so you have free grazing rights and all the uber commands etc on the DEV server....so...they decide due to abuses of powers and odd stuff with the /slash commands that it is time for the play server to be play only and limit access..to play accounts only (hey I'm a gm they did it to me too)

so....like you did not see this coming as the project nears completion or did you just like the DEV title behind your name on the play server?...if that is the case well...thanks for your prev help but the project is moving along to the point where (i think i'm correct here jump in if this is not guite right) where eventually the gm's will only reply to gm bug tickets and are anon on play server as of right now anyway. the...devs will only be on the dev server and the play server will stay "pure" so to speak for players only...any dev's or gm's or others not of an admin class or some such will just be playing their regular toons like everyone else ..but there is a whole dev server out there to explore/fix/create/beta test and the rest of the work needed for the project that will (i hope) migrate in a more timely fashion or regular schedule to the play or live server...

a nice little biosphere of development /test to play server ..to feedback.from play server ..to dev server ..........repeat process etc

so....i guess suck it up ..........the toons they be a changing

end of my rant

searing

• Upvote 2

new to the project/forums so not clue about the background of this... but have to say I'm disappointed to see this.. Shaddex is a good guy, helped me out quite a few times over the years on Pegasus.. his name was one of those old familiar ones I was glad to see here..

but like I said I'm 100% ignorant about whats going on here lol :D

if i may....

i have beta testesd in many games over time and one thing i know of is when it falls apart and this is usually how it starts. plz remember the coc and other rules should be followed but they are not ment to use to bash or to subbmit people into a spacific group of conformist. they are guide lines and nothing more, designed to protect from leagal action not dev/playr dissaplin, if wrongs had been commited thoughs of power should disscuss and recomend a course of action and all involvrd be heard, since there is no reemburcement for the time spent on this game it would be hasty to assume any of you have more power then the other.if u truly mean its for the playrs like myself then act like leaders and maintain dignity dont bash or disgrace for miner infractions. as you said this is a stress test; so what was learnd? how can it be prevented? what needs to be done to discourge it? is banishment a nessessary evil? do we inform or do we abuse our own powers to punish? ask these questions first then work together on its outcome that includes the violators.

I like what i have seen so far and hve cudosed u all, but remember it took all of u to get it this far dont forget that or the goal.

hope it works out cause i would hate to see a great team like all of you stumbal and fall.

shep......

If the stories about how some [DEV] have used their slash command powers ingame are true, then I belive it was a very good decision to strip them of their powers on the play server. Good call!

//Wex

I look forward to being arrested if i break the CoC and EULA *laws*. I remember why i stopped coming here now.

You obviously didn't stop coming here dude. Go troll somewhere else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the stories about how some [DEV] have used their slash command powers ingame are true, then I belive it was a very good decision to strip them of their powers on the play server. Good call!

//Wex

100% agree.