Playing a TT after a 12 year absence.  I got the mission to p/u oxygen and insignias.  Bought the O2, no money for insignias.  I'm trying to find a way to earn some money via missions, but I don't see how.  I guess I can't mine or scavenge.  I haven't fought yet, with that lvl 1 laser, so until I figure it out, grinding out explore XP.

Ideas?

Talk to the NPC's at your starting station, they have missions that will help you get started.  Explore the nav points in your starting sector, you should be able to kill the mobs there without much difficulty even with your L1 lasers.  When you kill a mob, they will leave behind a corpse that you can loot and then return to the station and sell the loot to one of the vendors for some credits.

Have you ever heard the expression "It takes money to make money"? The TT is the very personification of that saying. :) First of all, make sure that you are running trade goods correctly. You want to buy from the trade vendor, obviously, but you want to sell to the trade vendor on the destination station too. Do not sell to the weapons or equipment vendor, you won't get the same price.

What you want to do is load up your cargo hold with as many O2 canisters as you can buy, and take them to Loki Station. Then sell them, and buy Manufacturing Robots or whatever is available to sell back at Earth Station. Keep running back and forth until you have enough money to entirely fill your hold with the Manufacturing Robots. Note this amount of money, because no matter what else you do, you never want to let your available credits drop below this level. Any time you need cash, you can at least run back to Earth and completely fill your hold with trade goods.

Once you've built up a lot of money, you should be able to buy goods for Somerled Station. I think the Vac Sealant on Loki is what you want to start running. First you will need to find the gate to Somerled, though. It should be on the opposite side of the High Earth sector from the gate to Earth, down where the nav path makes a circle. Explore down that way first before you plan to start making runs.

No, the TT can't mine, and combat is hard at first. But once you get your Recharge Shields skills and unlock Missiles, you should do okay. Honestly, I have found that in this emulator, just the trade XP I get from loot keeps me from having to do trade runs, as long as I trade everything I loot to another player before I vendor it. But you may still want to do trade runs any time you want to make a lot of money fast. Just remember, you have to have a lot of money to start with, or you can't buy the goods that make a big profit. So do the trade run BEFORE you're broke. :D 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the good advice.  I've found it to be true.  My TT is OL 50 now and I have a TS that's OL 48 with all three individual levels at 75%.  I'm having a blast.  I have over 1 million credits on both characters, so money has not been a problem.  You gave me some great advice.   You were right on the money regarding selling loot and not having to do trade routes.   I'll soon be upgrading to lvl 4 missiles on both characters and I'm confident kills will come a little quicker.  I love kiting.  It reminds me of kiting in Everquest. :)