New EnB interactive map [url has changed, 2010-02-24]

Screenshot #2:

th_enb_interactive_map_2.png

And my to-do list:

DATABASE
+ All objects that appear in radar should go in the NAV group, regardless of type.
  + Done.
- The rest should be filtered such that no objects appear on radar. (I hope this is correct.)
  - Decided not to.
- Need to determine the MOB types (ship, organic, etc.)...
+ 'Sector gate to' data seems to be messed up.
  + Done.
+ Check if planets/stations can also 'gate' to somewhere...
  + Done. They can.
- For ores, the level of the sector object doesn't reflect the level of ores. Is this the case with MOBs as well? What is the significance?
APPLICATION
- Add the MOB distribution data to the sectors table.
- Gather similar data about ore.
- When changing the zoom levels, the scroll amounts should be scaled properly as well.
- Show mouse coordinates.
- Show system names next to sector names.
- Add another map for the galaxy with locations of systems/sectors.
- Add respawn times for ore.
- Add planet/moon images for astro bodies
  - Is there a way to differentiate between the two?
- A search feature?
  - Mobs and ore will need unique IDs then.
- Make sure status of checkmarks are looked at or reset before loading map settings.
- MOBs and loot need to have levels displayed as well.

Update status of the to-do list:

DATABASE
+ All objects that appear in radar should go in the NAV group, regardless of type.
  + Done.
- The other groups should be filtered so that they contain no objects that appear in radar. (I hope this is correct.)
  - Decided not to due to unique data regardless of group. They are rendered multiple times instead.
- Need to determine MOB types (ship, organic, etc.), then add them to the app.
+ The 'sector_gate_to' data seems to be messed up.
  + Fixed.
+ Check if planets/stations can also 'gate' to somewhere...
  + Done. They can.
- For ores, the level of the sector object doesn't reflect the level of ores. Is this the case with MOBs as well? What is the significance?
APPLICATION
- Add the MOB distribution data to the sectors table. Gather similar data about ore.
- When changing the zoom levels, the scroll amounts should be scaled properly as well.
- Show system names next to sector names.
- Add respawn times for ore.
- Add planet/moon images for astro bodies
  - Is there a way to differentiate between the two?
- A search feature?
  - Items will need unique IDs then.
+ Make sure status of checkmarks and other input elements are analyzed or reset when refreshing the browser.
  + Done. All settings except checkboxes are retained after a browser refresh. Checkboxes are reset.
- MOBs and loot need to have levels displayed as well.
- Test in multiple browsers.
- Individual 'label' checboxes for each group?

The buttons all work now too.

• Upvote 1

OK, it's up and live. Link:

http://isometricland.com/enb/enb_javascript_map.php

Hopefully it performs better than the Flash map which has a tendency to use 100% CPU resources.

Here's the updated to-do list:

DATABASE
- NAVs
  - Not sure exactly what the 'nav_type', 'is_huge', 'exploration_range', and 'object_radius_patch' fields in 'sector_nav_points' mean.
    - Currently I only take 'in_radar' into account when determining what to draw. Should I refer to them instead?
  - Should determine how much EL a NAV point awards, and how much can be gained per sector in total.
    - Not sure what to look for. 'base_xp' is always set to 0 in the database.
  + Check if planets/stations can also 'gate_to' somewhere...
    + Done. They can.
  + The 'sector_gate_to' data seems to be messed up.
    + Fixed.
    + Done.
  + Only the NAV collection should contain objects that appear in radar. MOB and ore collections should be filtered so that they do not contain any of these objects.
    + Decided not to due to unique data that appears for each object type. They are simply displayed multiple times (i.e. once per collection) instead.
  - Not sure how to differentiate between the planets and moons.
    - Might have to do so manulally.
- MOBs
  - Not sure what the 'intelligence', 'bravery', and 'altruism' fields in 'mob_base' mean, and whether they are worth listing.
  + MOBs and loot need to have levels displayed as well.
    + Done.
  - Not sure what the 'mob_count' field in 'sector_objects_mob' means.
    - Is it the number of MOBs per spawn point, regardless of the associated creatures?
    - What if the value is 1 and there are multiple creatures referenced? Are more than one spawned?
  - Need to determine whether MOBs are ships, organics, etc.
    - The database only lists numeric codes. Do not know what the codes correspond to.
    - Not a big priority, regardless, since people tend to know this beforehand.
  + Add the MOB relative distribution data to the sectors table. Gather and add similar data about ore.
    + Done.
- Ore
  - Not sure what the 'fields' and 'pop_rock_chance' fields mean in 'sector_objects_harvestable'.
    - Is 'fields' the shape of the resource field? I.e. circle, sphere, etc.?
  - cannot figure out where the respawn times for ore are in the database.
  + Not sure what the number after the name in the 'descr' field of 'assets' means.
    + Represents the differently colored 3D models: cyan, yellow, magenta. Has been removed.
- Loot
  - Drop items have varying quantities which should maybe be listed.
    - Not important enough, IMO.
  - There is no way in the database to determine exactly *which* MOBs drop *which* items, AFAIK.
APPLICATION
  - Maybe just list object coordinates in tooltips instead.
+ Show system names next to sector names.
  + Done
- Add images for planets and moons.
  - Is there a way to differentiate between the two in the database?
- Add a search box.
  - Not likely.
+ Make sure status of checkmarks and other input elements are analyzed or reset when refreshing the browser.
  + Done. All settings except checkboxes are retained after a browser refresh. Checkboxes are reset.
- Test in multiple browsers.
- Add individual 'Label' checkboxes for each group to toggle group labels.
  - Only if people complain.
Edited by posfordfan1220

For some reason the link is not working for me.

When I click on the link I get a confirmation box, I click OK and I'm sent to http://isometricland.com/enb/enb_ja and get

"The requested URL /enb/enb_ja was not found on this server."

Same for me , the link is cut off. Here is the full link http://isometricland.com/enb/enb_javascript_map.html

Oh, and this map truly rocks! A whole lotta great info there!

TooTall

this kind of map absolutely _needs_ to be 'gmap' style, so port it to gmap api and make it zoom all the way out to galaxy map.

dont get me wrong... it's nice map, but in it's current state, it's like half baked pie. zoom needs to be mouse wheel, 'scroll' should be click-drag.

this kind of map absolutely _needs_ to be 'gmap' style, so port it to gmap api and make it zoom all the way out to galaxy map.

That's a very good idea. Just this past week I saw one someone had made for a different game.

dont get me wrong... it's nice map, but in it's current state, it's like half baked pie. zoom needs to be mouse wheel, 'scroll' should be click-drag.

Everything's coded from scratch in HTML. I don't want to override normal expected browser behavior too much. I also don't have an existing tool library to take advantage of, so it would be a lot of work.

[edit]

Something like this I'm guessing. Note how many system resources it consumes. Not something I'd want running in the background while playing a game.

Same for me , the link is cut off. Here is the full link http://isometricland.com/enb/enb_javascript_map.html

Oh, and this map truly rocks! A whole lotta great info there!

TooTall

The links are working fine for me.

However, someone's sig on Page 1 is freezing my browser.

Love all the data in the map, but currently is down... B)

clicky

Not Found

The requested URL /enb/map/enb_javascript_map.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at isometricland.com Port 80

TooTall