What Is A Feather Worth In Creds?

Hi there:

We've got a brisk economy going on now with both creds, and feathers being traded in large amounts here weekly.

It would be excellent if we could come together to agree on the value in creds a feather has. I always thought a feather was worth 200m creds until this week when one of the larger feather merchants laughed and said basically (No, feathers aren't worth anywhere near that much). He believes a feather to worth about 100m creds.

Basically, the members of the market determine the value of an item.

How much do you guys think a feather is worth in creds?

Thank you for your time, and have a Blessed Valentine's Day!

Like all things for trade, a feather is exactly worth what someone else will pay for it.

What is a credit worth, a ruble a dollar a frank or a peso? Exactly what someone else will exchange it for the currency you have.

International money market is just that, a market, people exchanging one currency for another depending on how stable or what it is backed up with. That's why the stock market has been plummeting, since the governments of the world have taken away the backing of their currencies with precious metals away, the currencies are backed by a promise, they say their money is worth X vs. something else, the currencies have been in essence devoid of a true metric to set comparetive values, so they have been kind of backed by petroleum. As the price of crude oil falls, it grows increasingly hard for currencies values to have their values set, so it has a destablizing effect on the world exchange rates, because, well the money isn't backed by anything more solid than a promise, and you can guess what a politicians "promise" is worth :/

So we all could agree on a "value" of feathers, agree to agree, but then the problem is supply and demand. Someone will go farm a bunch of feathers and undercut the "agreed" value of feathers. That is the weakness of OPEC, for OPEC to set the value, they have to have every member not undercut the value, sell only the amount agreed upon (so supply don't exceed demand) and also control the majority of the available oil, OPEC is at it's weakest now, because they can't get their members not to over produce and don't have control of all the recent producers coming on line.

Since you aren't the only feathers owner, nor do you control where and how many others can farm them, nor get them to stick to a set price despite how many are farmed, any pricing agreement set down here would be worthless.

The world has FAR more diamonds in reserve than are in circulation, all the big boys got together and agreed to limit the amount released each yr. And the asking price of what is released. The "conflict" diamonds they like to bemoan about,  isn't that they care what happens to the poor and down trodden to get the diamonds, or how many are murdered in the process, it's about their control of  world supply vs. demand and their profits, keep in mind that may of the places the big diamond brokers get the diamonds they do sell, irregardless of if they are "conflict" or not, are also hell hole places as well, they don't lift up the populances were they mine what they have either.

Aye. What Mattsacre says.

A feather is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it; and also whatever someone who owns one is willing to sell it for.

There might be a guide price that could be used to commence haggling... But even that is going to be prone to fluctuation.

Best approach if you're trying to buy a feather is to tell the Market that you WTB a feather @ 50% of the maximum price you are willing to pay for it, and haggle upwards.

And if you're trying to sell a feather, then tell the Market that you WTS @ 150-200% of the minimum price you are willing to sell at, and haggle downwards.

But given that the raw Credit Economy in the Emulator is as near irrelevant as the Real World's Currency Economy these days, the quantity of "Feathers <> Credits" sales are negligible compared to "Feathers <> Items" trades.

Feathers are not something you can camp without paying much constant attention like most things, They take time to acquire , And to farm actively will guarantee one of your ships being locked out of BBW permanently,

Some people may be willing to sell them for 100 mill . To me given the situation with credits if I were willing to sell a feather at all you'd be talking double that , IF I was feeling nice enough to sell for credits at all.

That's my feel of the situation

Credits  really don't do you a whole lot of good on the vast majority of things . Making prices on more challenging to acquire items reflect this in my view.

I'd rather have a feather then a billion credits its more useful and easier to trade.

Edited by chaotica

Feathers are still easy to get. use a key from the Gate raid you just did to get into BBW /Paramis just can't dock. Losing red faction is not hard to get back. As they said above. It is what ever you can milk out of the buyer.

As I said if you can get someone to sell you one for 100mill , Good for you!, I advise you buy as many as you can afford, Most people who have a lot of feathers are either using them to improve gear, Or  have so many credits, Both cases they are unlikely to sell at 100 mill.

Have to highlight something Syber said: "Feathers are still easy to get."

The trick, I think, is to designate some 'toons as "Feather Hunters", never to darken the halls of BBW/Paramis.

My chief Feather-Hunters have negative RD Faction around -65k. But on the upside, are absolutely adored by most other factions.

Pays your money and you takes your choices, I guess.

Have to highlight something Syber said: "Feathers are still easy to get."

The trick, I think, is to designate some 'toons as "Feather Hunters", never to darken the halls of BBW/Paramis.

My chief Feather-Hunters have negative RD Faction around -65k. But on the upside, are absolutely adored by most other factions.

Pays your money and you takes your choices, I guess.

Anyone thinking of going down this route, make sure you do your Mark/Seal of the dragon mission from Jinx and probably the Nitrous Oxide Mission in Paramis before you start.  You can start the mark/seal mission when you reach 150, you need to have completed the 4 missions from Tzu at OMP, and you need good RD faction (I don't recall the exact number, +4K or +6K I think).