Arena Competition

liuu

Greetings EnB people,

I was thinking about a suggestion for people that want to play PvP so here is my idea.

What you think about arena competition with seasons? One season per month or two with unique rewards so the PvE players will be tempted to join.

Example:

First place - A non tradable and non manufacturable item that you posses to be made a 200% with an extra skill.

Second place - same like first but you can choose one of the goodies.

Third place - some unique device

I bet that some of you will be realy excited to have your precious non manufacturable item at 200%?

Imo it will be a lot of fun! What do you guys think? If anyone like the idea i would like to share more.

Liubosa

Ooo PvP, My favorite subject.
Kind of coincidental, after looking up at the winter night sky a few nights ago and seeing Orion.
Pick up on the conversation here V, there is a lot of information in this thread where everyone has input.
...................................................PvP

My proposed sectors:
https://forum.enb-emulator.com/uploads/post-1135-0-16584500-1333075978.jpg
https://forum.enb-emulator.com/uploads/post-1135-0-07116500-1333075858.jpg
https://forum.enb-emulator.com/uploads/post-1135-0-48490500-1333075894.jpg
https://forum.enb-emulator.com/uploads/post-1135-0-25236100-1333075961.jpg

[attachment=3355:Rigeldesc.jpg]

[attachment=3356:Bellatrixdesc.jpg]

Or may be the first place can use some unique model for his main char? Mordana cruiser or RD ship for example? I don't know if it's possible, but the idea is not bad?

It has been looked at in the past but not working and TBH would take alot of work and time to try and get it fixed.

So atm there are more pressing things that time is devoted to as we catch up in the storyline.

I think you would agree that is more important right now.

But it has been said that possibly in the future it can be looked at again when time permits.

And it's been said time and again, have your pvp if you wish...but only if there is ZERO impact to pve environment.

So sorry,

your idea for seasons..fine pve'rs  won't be bothered.

your idea to "lure" pve'rs to pvp, only time would tell and if there was zero impact to pve *shrug* pve'rs wouldn't mind.

BUT, your idea about unique rewards like: non-manu to 200% with xtra skill, non-manu to 200% minus the extra skill,  unique device.....THOSE would effect pve...that would be a non starter from the get go.

If you want something to "lure" in pve'rs to pvp, think along the lines of rewards that work only in pvp, or vanity  items, like titles or ship paint jobs, pve grade items (no better than be got off the shelf or manufactured) with unique names of visual (not stat) effects.

I can assure you, (with a reasonable confidence of near universality in consensus of opinion), that rather than "lure" pve'rs into pvp play with such rewards as you have proposed, if implemented you would, instead of "lure" them, you will enrage them.

There have been numerous posts about pve vs. pvp in a pve intended game, concerning this issue. And every time, something as a reward that was usable in pve, that was superior in some way other than "vanity" status, it was roundly shouted down.

You want seasons and tags or titles? Pve'rs would shrug, good for you good luck.

You want a spiffy paint job for your ship or some special logo? Cool, enjoy! Maybe i might try for that it's looking awesome.

You want some gear that isn't one iota better than can be got by other means, except it says you got it through pvp? No skin off the pve'rs nose.

Want as a reward, something that is Best In Slot (BIS) or better in some way than we can get through other means outside of PvP......SKREEEECHHH! Whoa..not a chance. To get that item they would be FORCED out of pve play (in a pve environment game) and into pve to get it.....non-starter.

Let me counter here, would you accept that you had to log on 100 hr.s of game time of mining before you could arena once, than have to log another 100 hr mining so you could try arena again? You wouldn't like that would you? But that would be the reverse concept, you would be FORCED to play as a miner for 100 hr to gain access to something better. We would be "luring" you into mining!

Please, don't "lure" us into things, if it was fun and exciting and desirable we would gravitate to it without a "bribe" to do so. "Luring" pve players into pvp is like the  creepy guy in the trench coat at the park offering little kids candy......."do you want this candy little kid? well just look what's under my trench coat and you can have it......." ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wait a second ...

1. You are using the word "lure" way too much and by your post i only understand that my idea is to "force" people to do something that they do NOT want.

2. I don't want to "lure" anyone, but to make something interesting and different. I don't need rewards, i want to PvP from time to time. The rewards are for those that love the loot.

Don't like 200%? Ok!

Don't want unique loot? Ok!

Want some paintings? Ok!

It's an idea, not final thing. We give suggestions only, not final decisions. 

3. Please don't compare me with a creepy guy in the trench coat at the park. I don't get things over the internet personal, but this is making me feel kinda offended. Don't forget that when people are reading posts on the forums some sentences are leaving more impression than others. I am an adult and have family and kids. Comparing me (even when you are joking) with that kind of things is making me furious.

Thanks for reading and let's all forget about the arena idea that will lure people into a trap.

Liubosa.

Liuu, you have to over look what Mattsacre says most of the time. We do. he has a tendency to say way to much and gets off subject a lot.

Enjoy  the game 

Noo, Not Mattsacre. :)
(I luv Mattsacre, in a Platonic kind of way.)

[attachment=3357:It's a trap.JPG]

I couldn't resist Liuu. I hope In my life time that we will see some non-arena type of PvP, my hands are tied.

So let me rephrase it, your word was "tempted"....I believe if you look up definitions "lure" and "tempt" might be near enough to be interchanged.....

My beef was this:

your idea was to offer as a reward, to tempt people to engage in pvp that they may not be naturally inclined, a set of rewards not achievable through any other route in pve.

My point:

I and others in the past have expressed that this was not a acceptable reward if it was usable in pve and was superior stat wise. The pvp environment impacting the pve universe is something repugnant to us. If your attempt to tempt players into a pvp session had as it's rewards vanity items, titles, tags what have you, or if the gear earned through pvp was not in any way superior to what is achievable through pve, that the item might be named something else or have a title attached, that too isn't something that I or others would be bothered by.

The effect:

If you offer items through pvp, that can impact pve, that the item is superior to what's in pve, (to use your word force people into pvp) might be too strong a term, but, I contend it amounts to a bribe in effect. A person that want's BIS will be if not forced then compeled to engage in pvp to get an item that is BIS to use in pve. A undesired dynamic effect not acceptable by many of us pve fanatics.

I'm sorry if you took offense to the  creepy guy/trench coat thing, it's just that BIS rewards seem like "candy" to get the folks (kids) to engage in behavior they wouldn't consider otherwise (pvp), all offered by a "luring" entity (trench coat guy) to me.

Don't let my ranting discourage you coming up with ideas or posting them.....

It's just that pvp ideas have been posted in the past and pve'rs have been adamant about pvp not impacting pve, superior gear would do that. But don't misread me either, I'm NOT adverse to pvp or people into it getting their fix, just the 2 universes being co-mingled, i doubt pvp'rs would like a pve achievable "insta-win button" being usable in pvp from pve....it's a two way street there. Just keep the stuff separate is what we ask.

Thanx, Matt

I think the average PvPer only wants to PvP with the equip at hand on a volunteer basis. I will repeat--There does not have to be PVP "gear" to PvP. Even a simple "on" switch or mission (Go pray at the Mordana Tabernacle or something like that to become PVP) is sufficient. No loss of gear. If someone wants to smoke someone outside of OMP and I'm not involved, why do I care? Doesn't bother me.

I think the average PvPer only wants to PvP with the equip at hand on a volunteer basis. I will repeat--There does not have to be PVP "gear" to PvP. Even a simple "on" switch or mission (Go pray at the Mordana Tabernacle or something like that to become PVP) is sufficient. No loss of gear. If someone wants to smoke someone outside of OMP and I'm not involved, why do I care? Doesn't bother me.

As long as you can't "accidently" get into pvp. There are other games out there that those player's who don't know how their "open world pvp" works get into a flagged for pvp state. If buffing someone that is in pvp would thereby flag you into pvp as well, that is undesided. Probably from a pvp standpoint as well. I can't imagine a pvper liking being in a hot match and have their opponent nearly dead, then having a heal tossed to the other guy if the match wasn't the healer engagable from the beginning.

I've played other MMO in the past were you could get flagged, i'll pick WoW as an example just to show what does and can happen.

In that game there were 2 "sides" alliance and horde. Quite often, either for a kick of it, or some achievement, one or the other side would raid camps of the other, killing all the npc/bosses/players that flagged for pvp. I and others, ignorant of what or how the open world pvp worked would be lured (there is that word again :)) into getting flagged for pvp. We would be fresh out of our start zones and into the first batch of quests and npc's and stumble into a raid against us going on. If we were healers or buffers and saw another player getting owned, or a npc, our first inclination would be to help the other player with a heal etc. There was no popup telling us that if you healed the other guy it opened you up to being the other faction's next victim, or that if you did so, you would be flagged for pvp for the next 15+ minutes. So you tossed the heal and BAM! the other jackasses would jump you like a junkyard dog on a steak. Dang. lesson learned don't heal someone flagged for pvp....ok. But wait! lesson not over! So your ghost comes back in the nearest grave yard, and you got to run to your corpse, guess what, your still flagged and the other side guy was a griefing type of butthole. He was camping your corpse and instantly kills you again....oh, and your flag was restarted. So you can keep doing that time and again while the 2 stroke joke gets his jollies. Or you get to corpse run and cool your heals for the +15 minutes until your pvp flag wears off. *Yawn* for the simple "mistake" of helping someone, you get to waste a bunch of your time so some other sicko can get their griefing jollies.

I could care less if 2 or more folks want to pvp anywhere they want, I suggest a instance to cut down on lag or other player interference, but if others want open world...fine. But if it's to be open world, there are a few precautions they need in place first so that crap like WoW don't happen. They need a "are you sure, are you really sure" 2 step engage popup so the uninformed don't get stuck in pvp. They need a "challenge" pvp system, so that when the 2 sides are formed, be they 1 on 1 or multiple of X on X, more players don't "jump" in and throw the match. That's why I argue for instance or zone pvp, rather than world, everyone in there accepted a pvp flag and there are not accidental engagements or a match throwing save from a new late arrival. That's what is good about arena, everyone there knows they are there for pvp, the teams be they 1 on 1 or 5 on 5 are preset, and when the match, (be they whatever form they take) is over, it's over. No way to grief people for periods of time while they wait for a timer to expire etc.

What I liked about the arena of old was, you went in with whatever gear you had and were in there until it was over, it let the ammo tosser not have to underwrite their pvp in ammo costs, beamers could shoot all day with no additional costs, so could the ML/PL users, they just had to put at least 1 round in their guns. You went in arena with high sig engine or a poor device lay out? Oh well, next time plan ahead before you hit the yes button. Arena let you try out different mixes and sets of gear to see what worked best for you, but didn't commit you to the next hr of harassment, waiting for a timer to expire. Arena also didn't make the whole thing a gear fest. Lot's of pvp is simply boils down to who has the better gear, that is so boring to me, arena had the side game and co-operation needed to win, someone with inferior gear could still contribute to a win scenario. If you want to match a JE  head to head against a TT, fine, to me that's boring, poor JE. But arena had the TT running around trying to keep the group healed, the miners mining globes to run to the goal and the warriors duking it out or running as guardians, I found that far more fun than head to head pvp.

It was all about the arena. Instanced pvp, not open one.

You want to pvp? Go inside and do whatever you want with no impact on the others

As long as you can't "accidently" get into pvp. There are other games out there that those player's who don't know how their "open world pvp" works get into a flagged for pvp state. If buffing someone that is in pvp would thereby flag you into pvp as well, that is undesided. Probably from a pvp standpoint as well. I can't imagine a pvper liking being in a hot match and have their opponent nearly dead, then having a heal tossed to the other guy if the match wasn't the healer engagable from the beginning.

I've played other MMO in the past were you could get flagged, i'll pick WoW as an example just to show what does and can happen.

In that game there were 2 "sides" alliance and horde. Quite often, either for a kick of it, or some achievement, one or the other side would raid camps of the other, killing all the npc/bosses/players that flagged for pvp. I and others, ignorant of what or how the open world pvp worked would be lured (there is that word again :)) into getting flagged for pvp. We would be fresh out of our start zones and into the first batch of quests and npc's and stumble into a raid against us going on. If we were healers or buffers and saw another player getting owned, or a npc, our first inclination would be to help the other player with a heal etc. There was no popup telling us that if you healed the other guy it opened you up to being the other faction's next victim, or that if you did so, you would be flagged for pvp for the next 15+ minutes. So you tossed the heal and BAM! the other jackasses would jump you like a junkyard dog on a steak. Dang. lesson learned don't heal someone flagged for pvp....ok. But wait! lesson not over! So your ghost comes back in the nearest grave yard, and you got to run to your corpse, guess what, your still flagged and the other side guy was a griefing type of butthole. He was camping your corpse and instantly kills you again....oh, and your flag was restarted. So you can keep doing that time and again while the 2 stroke joke gets his jollies. Or you get to corpse run and cool your heals for the +15 minutes until your pvp flag wears off. *Yawn* for the simple "mistake" of helping someone, you get to waste a bunch of your time so some other sicko can get their griefing jollies.

I could care less if 2 or more folks want to pvp anywhere they want, I suggest a instance to cut down on lag or other player interference, but if others want open world...fine. But if it's to be open world, there are a few precautions they need in place first so that crap like WoW don't happen. They need a "are you sure, are you really sure" 2 step engage popup so the uninformed don't get stuck in pvp. They need a "challenge" pvp system, so that when the 2 sides are formed, be they 1 on 1 or multiple of X on X, more players don't "jump" in and throw the match. That's why I argue for instance or zone pvp, rather than world, everyone in there accepted a pvp flag and there are not accidental engagements or a match throwing save from a new late arrival. That's what is good about arena, everyone there knows they are there for pvp, the teams be they 1 on 1 or 5 on 5 are preset, and when the match, (be they whatever form they take) is over, it's over. No way to grief people for periods of time while they wait for a timer to expire etc.

What I liked about the arena of old was, you went in with whatever gear you had and were in there until it was over, it let the ammo tosser not have to underwrite their pvp in ammo costs, beamers could shoot all day with no additional costs, so could the ML/PL users, they just had to put at least 1 round in their guns. You went in arena with high sig engine or a poor device lay out? Oh well, next time plan ahead before you hit the yes button. Arena let you try out different mixes and sets of gear to see what worked best for you, but didn't commit you to the next hr of harassment, waiting for a timer to expire. Arena also didn't make the whole thing a gear fest. Lot's of pvp is simply boils down to who has the better gear, that is so boring to me, arena had the side game and co-operation needed to win, someone with inferior gear could still contribute to a win scenario. If you want to match a JE  head to head against a TT, fine, to me that's boring, poor JE. But arena had the TT running around trying to keep the group healed, the miners mining globes to run to the goal and the warriors duking it out or running as guardians, I found that far more fun than head to head pvp.

In a game like Asheron's Call, there was no way a person could be accidentally PvP flagged on any non-PvP server. You actually had to do a mini-quest to be flagged. No non-PvP person could buff that player in any way. It was totally open on the server, and PvP and non-PvP alike coexisted in peace because of the way it was done, mainly, that there was no way for a non=PvP player to be affected by a PvP player. Most people, myself included, simply went to the full-time PvP server. Still, some people were always curious about PvP, so they stayed on their PvE servers and did the optional PvP. All the gear on the PvP server was the same as the PvE server, as the gear used to kill mobs was quite good at killing other players. Pvpers learned to adapt their character type and play style to the PvP environment.

I wouldn't even worry about play balance in this game. This game breeds team possibilities, given the many skills different character types bring to the table. I don't think we'll have PvP, but if we do, I relish the challenge of taking a weaker ship and trying to put my strength against a tougher opponent's weakness and see if I could survive. I'll bet every PW will want an Ambush Omega to see those sneaky cloaked JD's....

lol I too bet the progen will all be sporting those in pvp,. Given how material intensive all the agrippa stuff is to make, I wonder if the JE will still be mining the stuff needed to make it or the JS the comps....in essence if they did they would be fueling the war machine killing them :) The good part in arena is you don't expend ammo, so the progen wouldn't have to farm up more worm bits than they already  do to feed the fletchetts!

There are a few other scan cloak devices that can be got as well, bet those would go up in demand, hey, they might even allow a traitorous jenny in their group just to see the other jennies (of course they can't really trust the traitor can they?So they will have to keep a close  eye on them as well :) Oh the paranoia!) ^_^

Edited by Mattsacre

In a game like Asheron's Call, there was no way a person could be accidentally PvP flagged on any non-PvP server. You actually had to do a mini-quest to be flagged. No non-PvP person could buff that player in any way. It was totally open on the server, and PvP and non-PvP alike coexisted in peace because of the way it was done, mainly, that there was no way for a non=PvP player to be affected by a PvP player. Most people, myself included, simply went to the full-time PvP server. Still, some people were always curious about PvP, so they stayed on their PvE servers and did the optional PvP. All the gear on the PvP server was the same as the PvE server, as the gear used to kill mobs was quite good at killing other players. Pvpers learned to adapt their character type and play style to the PvP environment.

I wouldn't even worry about play balance in this game. This game breeds team possibilities, given the many skills different character types bring to the table. I don't think we'll have PvP, but if we do, I relish the challenge of taking a weaker ship and trying to put my strength against a tougher opponent's weakness and see if I could survive. I'll bet every PW will want an Ambush Omega to see those sneaky cloaked JD's....

IIRC, "Scan Blind (Activate)" would negate "See Cloak", and "Scan Boost" would negate "Scan Blind"  (Sextans) so I wouldn't fret to much about it. It'll be a good game of cat and mouse.