27 Professions!

Rackle

Yup, 9 professions aren't enough!

I recently came back from a long break and was pleasantly surprised to discover new skills for most professions (such as new wormhole destinations for the jenquai explorer).  That got me thinking that those new destinations are a perfect addition to a JE that wants to specialize in travel.  However other JEs may want to specialize in combat or trade.

So rather than providing everyone in the 9 basic professions with the same new skills, why not have those new skills be part of a specialization?  There`s no problem with equipment restrictions: the specialized classes are still one of the 3 base races and one of the base 9 professions.  They only differ in their skillsets.

A possible implementation would be to give every skill to every profession but control their access via the chat/mission data.  For example: Hello Progen Sentinel, you wish to learn how to build reactors?  Sadly you chose to specialize in combat rather than trade.  Your brain just couldn't handle all that information!

On the downside, I wonder if the client would handle displaying so many skills...

Does this  really need a answer?

1. no changes to the client allowed, this has been set in stone and repeatedly re-enforced,  long legal reasons but it boils down to "not going to happen"

2. if the hurdle could be met, all the new coding for every class and skills? boils down to "not going to happen" the devs do all this greta game in their "spare" time from RL...why would they want a second non-paying job?

3.so you met those hurdles? Content development, so now every chat tree is going to have to do not only a class check, profession check and race check, you got to add a specialization check, and write all the chat trees to match and acknowledge them.....um "not going to happen"

4.those hurdles met? now you have to rewrite and balance the combat, manufacturing, exploring, trading perimeters of the game so the new specializations don't cause imbalance to those....notice a trend? "not going to happen"

5. Those hurdles? pfft..we can do this! (not)... so now you have a L150 class toon and you want to specialize them....how? So you have a geared out PW and he want's to specialize as what? A miner? What about the PS that didn't have those 6 weap slots to get to 150....does he get to specialize into a warrior now? How? He sprouts 2 more weapon slots, combat trance, HDC, higher crit, shield sap, shield inversion and access to warrior gear? How?  Not going to happen :)

Hehe, I think you may be playing the wrong game, maybe you meant to play EVE :)     GL with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

>> 1. no changes to the client allowed

So where are the new skills coming from?  JE's of 2002 were able to wormhole to Witberg, Vishao and Venus?  I don't think so.

>> 3. so now every chat tree is going to have to do not only a class check, profession check and race check>

I don't see why that'd be needed.  At most, each specialization skill would need to have a modified chat tree, so if there are 5 specialization skills for combat, trade, exploration that's 15 checks to add, an easy task for the amazing Talk Tree Editor.

>> 5. What about the PS that didn't have those 6 weap slots to get to 150.

You seem to be talking about hull upgrades, which is not what this post is about.

• Downvote 1

ok as far as adding more classes or add more races,they cannot as far as I know,but we "enb emulator" have the blessing of the 3 new classes that were made but didn`t get put in before "sunset" of old live..some features of the original classes that were in the works at the time of old live,example "compulse contemplation" for the je class still hasn`t been put in the emu,but the dev team did get the extended wormhole,and ammunition build put in...so the emu team is still doing a great job of making "add on`s" to the existing 9 classes if they can..

• 8 months later...
On 2/15/2016 at 3:32 PM, cimbad said:

ok as far as adding more classes or add more races,they cannot as far as I know,but we "enb emulator" have the blessing of the 3 new classes that were made but didn`t get put in before "sunset" of old live..some features of the original classes that were in the works at the time of old live,example "compulse contemplation" for the je class still hasn`t been put in the emu,but the dev team did get the extended wormhole,and ammunition build put in...so the emu team is still doing a great job of making "add on`s" to the existing 9 classes if they can..

What this crew has done is nothing short of amazing. I loved this game from day one of beta (i was in closed beta like way closed beta) Honest truth where earth and beyond is today is close to what the good folks of west wood wanted not totally there but close. Had this been a WW game only and not a EA game who knows how long it would have lasted. I wish and hope that some how this crew of developers and players can simply get full rights to enb and take it where it should have went. 

And im back and here to stay my long period of beta burn out is now a thing of the past hehe in game main char name seto novaflare is my wheeny alt PP Hes gona get some levelen loven soon enough. I to think it would be pretty sweet to see a few new classes or hybrids added but if its not in the cards its not in the cards.