New Player Guide To E&b

[attachment=3313:Net-7 char guide.JPG]

+1 magoo to you.

May I suggest a Jenquai Defender, if your just joining us. :)
Shame on you 4Log ! :)

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

My Main in Live and in the EMU is a Jenquai Defender and I only play Jenquai. <--Not true currently playing TE and TT..12/4/2015

A Noobies guide.
So to Cloak or Not to Cloak. That is the Question.
(To be or not to be or act like a JD :) )
Everyone has a different way of playing any character, Play whats fun and comfortable to you in any style.

Conformity is boring

When ever a skill level or item availablity dictates a change in the combinations of the provided buffs. I'll provide a suggestion or two.
Check the Data bases, part of the fun of the game is coming up with your combos.

Solo Cloak Based Combat and build.
Your Cloaking speed, Weapons fire rate and Total damage and any D.O.T. (Damage Over Time, ie; Plasma) will play the major roles here, with Total Cap on your Reactor, Psionic Shield, Weapons Energy Conservation and Reduced ship signature playing the secondary roles.

Reactor: Highest cap, with +Recharge, + cap(Gallina, Draco, Cygnus), Reduced ship Signature (Pleiades) or any combination of.

Shield: What ever style you play your shield should be the best you can get. Higest Cap, + Cap, +Recharge (Defender's Doumaru). I personly don't put much into deflects but i'm sure others do.

Engine: Lowest Ship signature (Halley), + cloak (Pegasus)

Device: +Reactor Cap (Power of the Elements, Advanced Weapon Control System), Plasma DeBuff (Rada, Chimaera's) , Weapons Energy Conservation (Taniwha's Pride) Improved Psionic shield ( Corona Borealis, Aegis of the Warder)

Weapon: Highest Damage with a Refire rate at or near 4-6 seconds. remember that most Weapons that have a higher damage also have a higher reload time. The trick here is to Fire And do as much Damage as Possible and cloak. Use all Plasma. You Want the D.O.T. to keep the NPC taking damage while your Cloaked.

Energy Leech, Cloak and Combat Cloak:
Pure and simple, You will have to Subsitute one of your Weapons barrage for the Activation of your Energy Leech.
Get behind your Prey, Deactivate cloak and Hit the activation of your Energy Leech as soon as possible, And then Recloak. Do not be surprised if you get hit with some weapons damage.
Energy Leech takes 5-6 Seconds from Activation to Transfer of energy AND Combat Cloak Takes a Minimum of 3 Seconds to Cloak you. It takes an NPC 2 to 3 Seconds to turn and Fire on you.
That Leaves 5 To 6 seconds of Damage headed in your direction ! How Much danage can you inflick in 5-6 seconds ?

I have found:
That Installing something to help with your cloaking time can go a long way.
Waiting for the NPC to or for you to get about 1.00-2.00 k (Your Beams and Energy Leech Range will dictate) away from you before you activate Energy Leech, increases (Although slightly) Minimal Damage.
Install Something for Maneuverability, Improved Cloak and reduced Signature these items will help you (they Should) with Missile Defense. Look under Ship Stats "Missile Defense"
Sum Up:
Fire..Cloak
Fire..Cloak
Fire..Cloak... Low on energy
Decloak.. Activate Energy Leech (5 secs)
Cloak
Repete if necessary.

When your out of Combat Get a Psionic Shield up.

Group combat, Combat Cloak
Use the Highest Damage and D.O.T. damage possible. Your refire Rate will be as high 9.0 - 11 seconds.
NOW If your using Combat Cloak For the Double Damage Buff Keep In mind that The Double Damage Buff ONLY is supposed to work on UNModified Beams for 5 Seconds after decloaking, I believe that Means that if you have a Enhanced Beam or Enhance Weapons Damage item installed it will ONLY use the Beams Damage listed in the Beams description.

Lets think about that a second for L9 Beams.
Glare Of Devastation: 1535 base x 2 = 3070 (Damage every 11 seconds)
Emerald Devastator: 936 base x 2 = 1872 (10.8 sec)
Black Streak: 780 base x 2 = 1560 (6.0 sec)energy
Devastating Gaze: 1320 base x 2 = 2640 (10.0 sec)
Defenders Pride: 1030 base x 2 = 2060 (8.0 sec)

Taking into consideration the highest reload, 11.0 seconds.
Using Combat Cloak thats 11202 base Damage
D.O.T. Average of the four plasma beams lasting every 5 seconds.
D.O.T. avg 2115 every 11.0 seconds

Total every 11.0 seconds 13317 damage ! (using Combat Cloak.)

Psionic Shield Based Combat and build:
Your Psionic Shield, Reactor Cap and Recharge (passive and Activated), Shield Cap, Weapons Energy Conservation, Weapons Enhancedments, Weapons Fire rate, Reduced Ship Signature and Maneuverability will all play the major roles here. Summons, Critical Targetting, Beam Range, Increased Beam skill, Ship Speed, Fold Space, Hull damage Control and Device DeBuff will play secondary roles here.
This Tactic is not for the squeemish !

Reactor: Highest cap, with +Recharge, + cap(Gallina, Draco, Cygnus), Reduced ship Signature (Pleiades), Increased Beam Range or any combination of.

Shield: Higest Cap, + Cap, +Recharge, Hull Damage Control.

Engine: Increased Maneuverability, Increased Speed , Lowest Ship signature, Hull Damage Control

Device:Improved Psionic shield ( Corona Borealis, Aegis of the Warder), Weapons Energy Conservation (Taniwha's Pride), Shunt Shields (Martyr's Heart), +Reactor Cap (Power of the Elements, Advanced Weapon Control System), Plasma DeBuff (Rada, Chimaera's decreased NPC Plasma resistance).

Weapon: Highest Damage with a Refire rate anywhere from 4 to 8 seconds. The use of D.O.T. weapons keep the NPC taking damage while your between refires. IMO use a 2:1 Plasma to Energy weapons load out, Mix the damage type up a NPC may be more or less resistant to one or the other. I like a wide range of Refire rates without suffering High damage lose doing it.
You'll want to hit your target as fast and as hard as possible. You want to be able to kill it before it kills you.

Psionic Shield:
You will need to Max out this skill and Use any Item that will increase its damage absorbtion. You will basically be Spamming this skill but time it right so that you can get another Shield up just before the one fails. Energy Conservation Is Key. Know your Killing fields and the prey your hunting, know its refire rate.

You will be loosing energy at an alarming rate! The Reactor with the Highest Cap and Recharge rate will be essential. Use ANYTHING that will increase its Capacity and recharge. Have you hugged a Jenquai Seeker today ? :) Remember to keep enough energy to be able to cloak should you get into trouble.

Energy Leech:
Use the Energy Leech as soon as you have a fresh Psionic Shield up Use it like a One TWO punch and Make sure you have enough energy to activate the Energy Leech.
Timing the Use of The Energy Leech is also key, You want to maximize it use and Amount Utilized.
What Am I saying?
You can only Leech 1 or 2 times per NPC or NPC AREA Mob and get the Maximum amount of Energy Back to you or your Group.
You DO NOT Want to leech when You have a Nearly Full Reactor. Its like when you fill your Car up with gas, you don't go when its 3/4 Full You fill it when its almost empty and you have enough to
get you to the Gas Station. !
DO NOT underestimate the Energy Leech it is a very potent Weapon and Skill. Remember Everything You do, everything your group does, and everything the NPC do requires energy.
Take away their Energy you take away their way to Fight, to Defend and to Escape !

12/8/2012
New tactic and findings:
I have come across 1 or 2 NPC that were, For some reason Immune or defencive to Energy Leech, But in the same battle there were 1 or 2 that would join in to try to defeat me that were not.
In the past I would focus only on the higher Level NPC and ignore the smaller ones after I summoned them in front of me and got back on the main target.

During the battle I was running low on energy and couldn't get any from the High Level NPC that was Immune. I scrambled to think of a way to get energy or I was going to die.
Then my Focus went back to the annoyance's that were the Lower Level NPC. They had the Energy I needed!
I leeched the Energy I needed from the other NPC to keep up the fight and came out the victor !

Summon:
Divide and Conquer, Max this skill. You will have to pull indivdual targets to you especially at Higher levels.
Your Not a PW for pete's sake! :rolleyes:
If you are jumped from behind by another NPC summon it front and center then get back on your original target. This way when it dies you'll have the next target right in your sights.

Weapons range, ship speed and Fold Space
You want to have your weapons range at its highest, the longer it takes for the NPC's damage to hit you and for the other NPC thats behind him to get within range of you the better. Use any engine or device (Cat's Paw) that will increase your distance from any NPC thats trying to get within range.

Fold Space
If you have too many NPC attacking you Get the one Behind you and send it out of their weapons range. Try to install an item that will increase your Fold space distance find one with another beneficial buff attached to it.

You really do have to pay attention and use every skill the JD has in order to survive.
IMO thats what Makes playing a Defender so fun.

Lets Be careful out there the Universe is a dangerous place.

I want to point out one last thing you WILL get more XP killing 2 lower level NPC than trying to kill a High level NPC in the same amount of time.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Edit: 12/4/2015

Oh yea using Energy Leech is a Major aggression magnet it is very easy for you to steal the aggro from your main tank and adds greatly to your DPS.

Utilizing Energy Leech in Psionic Shield Based Solo Or Tanking Combat.
Energy Leech and Psionic Shield:
Use the Energy Leech as soon as you have a fresh Psionic Shield up Use it like a One TWO punch and Make sure you have enough energy to activate the Energy Leech.
Timing the Use of The Energy Leech is also key, You want to maximize it use and Amount Utilized.
What Am I saying?
You can only Leech 1 or 2 times per NPC or NPC AREA Mob and get the Maximum amount of Energy Back to you or your Group.
You DO NOT Want to leech when You have a Nearly Full Reactor. Its like when you fill your Car up with gas, you don't go when its 3/4 Full You fill it when its almost empty and you have enough to
get you to the Gas Station. !

DO NOT underestimate the Energy Leech it is a very potent Weapon and Skill. Remember Everything You do, everything your group does, and everything the NPC do requires energy.
Take away their Energy you take away their way to Fight, to Defend and to Escape !
------------------------------------------
Jenquai Defender (Guide by Phorlaug) The Jenquai Defender has a hybrid of Exploration and Warrior skills. While not the strongest fighter or explorer, the combination will allow this class to stand up to many enemies found while exploring the galaxy.
Strengths: Cloaking, fold space, psionic shields, summon enemies and great reactors.
Weaknesses: Light armor, small cargo hull and poor shielding.

Jenquai: jd_clip_image001.gif
The Jenquai are the descendents of the first explorers to map the far reaches of the solar system. Jenquai ancestors struck out from Earth on giant long-haul deep space shuttles knowing that turn around time from when they reached their destiny to when they returned to Earth would be measured in years.

Over time, the Jenquai ancestors became accustomed to living in harsh alien worlds and their genetic structure evolved into the current Jenquai race of today in order to take advantage of the different environments. The Jenquai have turned the pursuit of knowledge and the clarity of logic into a religion. Most Jenquai feel that the universe as a whole is the divine power and that all life encompasses that power.

Jupiter, well actually its orbiting moons, is where the noble Jenquai live. They're masters of science and technology and without them we'd still be puttering around space at sub-warp speeds. They're the true explorers of the galaxy. Going with the Jenquai means your ships aren't physically tough, but you'll make up for that with a wealth of technologies and mental powers that bolster your position in whatever you're doing.
Path of Dark and Brightness

Once you have docked at Ashanti Maru, speak to Ten'Shao Anala. She will be standing in the rear of the base before the baydoors. Speak to her by walking towards her and left-clicking on her. Your mouse cursor will turn into a talk bubble icon once you are in range to speak with her.

You should spend a few minutes and answer Ten'Shao Anala's questions. If you answer them correctly you will gain experience. A true Jenquai Defender would of course know that the Shinwa died in his first engagement because he did not know himself. And as a true Shinwa, you should have noticed the light and dark side of Europa. If you answer the questions incorrectly, you will still earn some experience.

It's time to see Ten'Shao Anala to complete your training in Summoning. Exit Ashanti Maru by clicking on your ship.

Open your Navigation Map and plot a course to The Sun at Noon to speak with U'nai Amitola. On your Navigation Map, the Sun at Noon is located below you. If you aren't sure where a location is, let your mouse cursor hover above the various question marks to see the name of the location. Click on the Sun of Noon to plot your course and then click on the warp button. U'nai Amitola will be circling around the Sun at Noon. She should be easy to spot by the green icon that is displayed next to his ship. Target her by clicking on her and then press the Message Button.
The Sun at Noon
You must use your new Summon skill to summon your shadow to the Sun Trap. Start by going to the Sun Trap. It's near The Sun at Noon.

Target your Shadow That Follows and then Summon it by pressing the Summon button on your shortcut tray. (You could also use the corresponding key on your keyboard. In this case, it's the number 5). Wasn't that easy? Speak again to U'nai Amitola who will give you her evaluation. She can still be found circling the Sun at Noon.

Now we're going to summon a drone while in combat! Open your Navigation Map and plot a course to The Trial of the Horde. It is located directly below you. Press the warp button.

Once you're at the Trial of the Horde, speak with U'nai Wakisa. He'll be circling around the Trial of the Horde.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I love what you guys have done here. Its a great guide for new players because the game is a little different than what the game was like back in the day. ( i hate saying back in live because to me its live now)  I know you guys are super busy but it would be even better if you showed some video of gameplay also. A JD video from Phorlaug would be amazing.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Newbie Question~

And BTW, thank you for all of this info. There is more that I have

forgotten about E&B than what I remember!

My question:

Are some areas off-limits until you reach a certain level or do a certain quest?

I can't remember, but it seems that some gates won't work for me, so

I assumed that I was missing something.

Thank you!

Some gates are faction or class restricted. All starter sectors are an example of the latter while gates to Red Dragon space (Paramis/Blackbeards wake) are an example of the former.

You can never use a class specific gate but you can access faction specific gates once you reach 2000 of the required faction.