VMWare 1, 2, 3?

Sad, and hateful, as it sounds, you won't get help setting it up. I posted a month or so ago asking a question about it without any response. All I can tell you is setting up VMPlayer 3 isn't hard, the common issue seems to be adjusting something to allow the net7 proxy to connect on both 'machines'. Hope you get it working, but dont hold your breath :/

as i use virtualbox for my virtual fun then thats what my guide here is for. vmware you have to buy to create your own images (i know you can do it with player with some fiddling) where virtualbox is free for private use

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads - install virtualbox, add new machine where you select windows and something like 15gb drive (i would choose dynamic size to keep it down), when you run the machine first time it asks for a install image/disk, from there it's just like installing windows on a normal machine. once windows is complettly installed shut it down again and choose settings for your virtual machine, look for video options and eneable 3d support. start your virtual machine again and enter failsafe mode (spam F8 i believe it is), once in press CTRL to release your mouse and install guest additions (found in one of the menues of the virtual machine window) once installed reboot and you should be good to go

i might have forgotten something as im not at home right now and can't look at my own settings but im quiet sure i got it all

if you want i could do a more detailed guide later on

I use WMware player which is free.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

It works perfect on my system now although I couldnt get it to work with Vista. Instead I installed XP on another hard disk and run it there (ie with XP as both host and guest). It is very easy to set up! The only thing I had to change was the network settings. The default was 'NAT' which I changed to 'Bridged' with the 'Replicate' box ticked.

//Wex

It works perfect on my system now although I couldnt get it to work with Vista. Instead I installed XP on another hard disk and run it there (ie with XP as both host and guest). It is very easy to set up! The only thing I had to change was the network settings. The default was 'NAT' which I changed to 'Bridged' with the 'Replicate' box ticked.

//Wex

On my system (a four-ish year old machine, an average Dell Crapcision with expected innards, plus 2y.o. updated nVidia g-force and 1GB RAM) running XP can manage a VMware Player 3.0 with an XP guest system.

Performance will be somewhat choppy though, and you may need to kill sound on both the host and guest instances to tolerate it, as well as slam graphics down to the lowest settings.

This set-up is fine for muling items between toons, but I probably would not want to take two toons into combat (though I am giving thought to leveling a JE just to taxi around as needed)

Dual Core systems and anything as recent as two years ago should do just fine, though I can;t speak to Vista and how that handles things.

The network settings that Wex was speaking of are found when you edit the virtual machine settings from the VM Player when the guest system is powered off. (not in the guest OS networking settings).

well most problems ppl have with net-7 on VMware is the difference of network adapter configuration,

just set it to bridged and not nat or host only , so net7 proxy wont have to deal with 2 same IPs trying to connect

everything alse can be found on wiki or vmware site ...

tried using virtualbox but the game acts as if there is no 3d card installed. It also will not recognize my soundcard. I have checked the settings and have 3D enabled and Directsound selected. Any ideas?

note: Running x64 vista on both main PC and the virtualbox.

tried using virtualbox but the game acts as if there is no 3d card installed. It also will not recognize my soundcard. I have checked the settings and have 3D enabled and Directsound selected. Any ideas?

note: Running x64 vista on both main PC and the virtualbox.

Try downloading tools for virtualbox

//Wex

Yeah...I wound up finding that out my self, that you can't duplicate a Vista OS. :(

as i use virtualbox for my virtual fun then thats what my guide here is for. vmware you have to buy to create your own images (i know you can do it with player with some fiddling) where virtualbox is free for private use

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads - install virtualbox, add new machine where you select windows and something like 15gb drive (i would choose dynamic size to keep it down), when you run the machine first time it asks for a install image/disk, from there it's just like installing windows on a normal machine. once windows is complettly installed shut it down again and choose settings for your virtual machine, look for video options and eneable 3d support. start your virtual machine again and enter failsafe mode (spam F8 i believe it is), once in press CTRL to release your mouse and install guest additions (found in one of the menues of the virtual machine window) once installed reboot and you should be good to go

i might have forgotten something as im not at home right now and can't look at my own settings but im quiet sure i got it all

Thanks Benom, I had VM Ware and was putting up with the choppy video. Today I tried virtualbox and its 100% better. I am actually going to run 2 instances of it now since it allows me to switch screens so easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no love w/ Sun's VirtualBox.

I installed 3.14 today... (newest release 2/10/10)

Installed XP and did some updates and made sure to enable 3d and 2d support which both are ENABLED.

Installed Add-Ons and choose the option to Include Direct3d support. (installed in safe mode)

128MB ram and ENB Config still states i dont have 3d support.

Any ideas?

UPDATE :

Just ran DXDIAG on my virtualbox and it states both direct draw and 3d support are enabled. Direct Draw passes all tests. But Direct3d Acceleration failed 2/3 of the tests. The 1st 2 fail.

Still no love w/ Sun's VirtualBox.

I installed 3.14 today... (newest release 2/10/10)

Installed XP and did some updates and made sure to enable 3d and 2d support which both are ENABLED.

Installed Add-Ons and choose the option to Include Direct3d support. (installed in safe mode)

128MB ram and ENB Config still states i dont have 3d support.

Any ideas?

UPDATE :

Just ran DXDIAG on my virtualbox and it states both direct draw and 3d support are enabled. Direct Draw passes all tests. But Direct3d Acceleration failed 2/3 of the tests. The 1st 2 fail.

Start the VirtualBox VM (assuming Windows of some flavor) in SAFE mode. Then install the client additions and reboot it.