Repository of known issues

Floss

Hi,

If there is some way to have a compiled list of known issues/bugs, this would be extremely helpful for knowing the following:

1) What bugs are/aren't known

2) What bugs need player assistance to recreate

A simple table/listing (doesn't need to be fancy) would help the comunication between player/dev to make this process more efficient. Right now it's not clear if there is value in posting a bug or if it's already known (no replies to 95% of threads).

I have to imagine there is some sort of internal workflow in place for tracking these. Making that public would be helpful for us to provide useful feedback and not just grind trade runs all day :huh:

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

some time back (about a year or so ago) they formalized the position of beta testers to have mantis access so that they could hear a bug report, look to see if it had been reported, see if it was repeatable, then if necessary file a bug report. the reason for that was because player bug reporting had massive redundancy and was largely poorly recorded and described. everyone here is on volunteer time only so there is a good chance weeks could go by without them having spare time to make changes. so my advice would be talk to beta testers, remember not all the things people put down as bugs are bugs, many of them are just areas that have not been fully developed, there just isn't code to deal with some things yet.

Posting the known bug list would still cut on the chatter. I agree the player base shouldn't have write access to it, but read access could at least reduce the amount of redundant/unnecessary threads if an issue is already acknowledged as a known issue. Without that the bug forum utility/productivity is really limited.

• Upvote 1

http://mantis.net-7.org

I beleive anyone can get a reader account to look at existing bugs

Thanks, setup an account on Mantis, but there are only about 14 bugs on there? I understand this is volunteer, but that is a far cry from the amount of issues posted under the bug section of the forum.

Need more beta testers? I'd be happy to contribute and don't want to appear as an ungreatful whiner ;) I'm not a coder at all, but can write a clear concise ticket :blink:

Mantis was hit at the same time as the forums.

That is a fresh database, thats why its nearly empty.

Bugs are only logged in Mantis as and when the Beta Testers have confirmed them.

Not everything posted in the bug sections is worthy of a mantis report too.

Mantis was hit at the same time as the forums.

That is a fresh database, thats why its nearly empty.

Bugs are only logged in Mantis as and when the Beta Testers have confirmed them.

Not everything posted in the bug sections is worthy of a mantis report too.

(Playing devil's advocate)

15 bugs in 1.5 months isn't really... a lot. I could probably think of 15 that I can personally confirm and recreate.

Either we need more beta testers or more active beta testers. Logging them at least puts them on the radar to acknowledge the existence of the bug, and if they are deemed to be inconsequential, mark as closed, and move on.

A few I can think of quickly that are game breaking and not on that list - these are far from minor.

1) CTD on gating

2) Cloak not working properly (jenpies are broken)

3) Combat trance broken for some players

4) Mobs that don't shoot back period even if being damaged (exploitable)

5) Player hull/shields not displaying correctly in a group (i.e. I have 100/10000 hull and no shields, but my TT sees me as full)

I feel like we are having a circular conversation here :P

Me: "Would like to know known issues for reporting purposes/efficiency."

Dev: "Mantis tracks issues."

Me: "Mantis doesn't look complete."

Dev: "We don't record all known issues."

back to...

Me: "Would like to know known issues for reporting purposes/efficiency."

If something is already known, posting a new bug thread = clutter = less efficient system?

well the whole idea of the play server is not about efficiency, things would probably develop faster without us here to bitch. i was really supprised ST3 lasted as long as it did and am happy they couldn't bring themselves to close it down again, but remember that most of the purposefull development happens elsewhere and these bugs are just a distraction untill everything actually gets added. once all the games systems are in place it makes alot better sense to go bug crazy but as is i've seen problems squished only to araise again in many occasions due to implimentation of new features and hate to see that there was dev time wasted there.

long and the short: it's great you want to help but don't stress over it, feel free to report to betas but the world isn't going to end if you don't get that report in.

well the whole idea of the play server is not about efficiency, things would probably develop faster without us here to bitch. i was really supprised ST3 lasted as long as it did and am happy they couldn't bring themselves to close it down again, but remember that most of the purposefull development happens elsewhere and these bugs are just a distraction untill everything actually gets added. once all the games systems are in place it makes alot better sense to go bug crazy but as is i've seen problems squished only to araise again in many occasions due to implimentation of new features and hate to see that there was dev time wasted there.

long and the short: it's great you want to help but don't stress over it, feel free to report to betas but the world isn't going to end if you don't get that report in.

Well said, Endorsed by me :)

Well said, Endorsed by me :)

My logic is failing to compute the purpose of the bug threads if we don't need bugs to be reported :P No stress here, just looking at it from a PM point of view and strugling to see how this makes sense from an information management and support system implementation standpoint. Volunteer doesn't have to mean inefficient, and if time is the constraint, efficiency is important.

(Let's the horse die peacefully, it has been beaten enough, goes back to trade runs).

Thanks Slayer for the feedback.

My logic is failing to compute the purpose of the bug threads if we don't need bugs to be reported :P No stress here, just looking at it from a PM point of view and strugling to see how this makes sense from an information management and support system implementation standpoint. Volunteer doesn't have to mean inefficient, and if time is the constraint, efficiency is important.

(Let's the horse die peacefully, it has been beaten enough, goes back to trade runs).

Thanks Slayer for the feedback.

Well said, "Endorsed by me" as said by Slayerman.

I too went through this. almost word for word and I could point you to my discussions had the Great server crash of 09 not happened. So I hit them with a few contributions and settled back to just play. If I find something nasty I report it to a beta and forget it. If I run into it again, I go someplace else or work around it, knowing that I did all I could to report the issue as I saw it.

All you can do.

Oh and whining in new player sometimes make me feel better about it, but not always. :)