Since I've taken it upon myself to write install guides for the game on various new windows formats it's now time to run windows 10 thru the blender.

First off, Microsoft my hats off to you and about time you got it right. Yes 10 is that good.

Okay with that out of the way lets get to how I installed the game.

First windows 10 is not the pos windows 8 and most certainly 8.1 was for installing games and other older software.

It's very similar to windows 7 in mannerisms with a compatibility and running stuff so far as I have found.

It doesn't require wierd settings or fancy software or spectacular knowledge of the inner workings to make stuff work.

You install it and use it.

I had the game previously installed from my conversion to 10 (I install games and large install folders to a seperate drive from my os drive) So I had a functional folder to begin with.

You will need 2 folders (I'll provide at the end of the article) The Net-7 install folder and the Release folder from a previous install.

About 2gb of hard drive space and a internet connection.

If you read my windows 8.1 article ( https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/11263-windows-81-the-install/) this is going to be very familiar.

I suggest on 64 bit os's to install older pre windows 7 games to the root of your os drive if possible C:\Games\ is my suggestion.

64 bit windows and 16/32 bit games can be a problem. The game is directx7 so it qualifies for the root folder install.

If you have a previous install such as mine, open your net-7 folder(if you are running from a previous install location) and go in and delete the 4 text files:

Client-FileList.txt

Client-Version.txt

Net7-FileList.txt

Net7-Version.txt

Then run ( E:\Games\Net-7\bin\lLaunchNet7.exe  In my particular case)  your LaunchNet7.exe from the net-7/bin folder and locate your game install folder/Release/Client.exe file let it update and adjust your firewall if needed.

Go thru your net-7/bin folder and your game install folder and right click the game exe's:

Net-7/bin

LaunchNet7.exe

net7proxy.exe

Game install\Release

Client.exe

Earth&Beyond\EBCONFIG\

net7config.exe

VIDTEST.EXE

You need to right click these and open properties and in the Compatibility Tab(this is going to deviate a lot from 7/8)

Only check the Run as Administrator check box.

I found that using the compatibility check box to run as windows xp wont allow multiple instances of the game.

I was getting the dreaded E&B is already running box. I tinkered with it and unchecked it on the client.exe and I can log as many clients in as I want.

If you have issues please post them so I can look at the issues on my side and see if i can replicate them.

You only need to do this to these files

This is if you have a previous install

For those of you starting with a fresh install.(crosses self says a couple holy c**** just kidding) This is pretty easy.

Download the net-7 and release files at the end of the article.

If you followed my earlier advice and made a games folder in your root of your drive (such as C:\Games\ )

Step 1

Create a Earth & Beyond folder

Unpack the release folder into the newly made earth and beyond folder.

Unpack net-7 to the game folder.

In the net-7 folder open the bin folder and right click the LaunchNet7.exe and  right click and pin to your start and or your task bar(I use taskbar but I do most certainly love the 10 start menu Did i mention i really like 10??)

Step 2(yes copypasta sue me I'm lazy)

Go thru your net-7/bin folder and your game install folder and right click the game exe's:

Net-7/bin

LaunchNet7.exe

net7proxy.exe

Game install\Release

Client.exe

Earth&Beyond\EBCONFIG\

net7config.exe

VIDTEST.EXE

You need to right click these and open properties and in the Compatibility Tab(this is going to deviate a lot from 7/8)

Only check the Run as Administrator check box.

I found that using the compatibility check box to run as windows xp wont allow multiple instances of the game.

I was getting the dreaded E&B is already running box. I tinkered with it and unchecked it on the client.exe and I can log as many clients in as I want.

If you have issues please post them so I can look at the issues on my side and see if i can replicate them.

Step 3.

Go back to your launchnet7 shortcut you created in step 1 and run it.

I had to install .net2.5/3 and windows installed it automatically via the dialog box.

net-7 will want to know the current location of your installed game client.exe (hint it's in your release folder)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IMPORTANT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Step 4.

Update the game as required.

The game files require about 1.3gb approximately.

Since we are installing the game via this method you will not have any registry settings.

You must click yes or continue on all of the boxes that come up when you start the launcher/client the first time.

If you fail to click yes or continue on the next error dialog boxes your game probably will not run till you click yes/continue.

Yes/continue.. do I make my point clear?

You were warned.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> End of IMPORTANT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have not tried to install the game via the demo or net-7 with the currently availble unified installer.

So please relate any problems with it if you run across any.

If the forum mods would be kind and sticky this, I believe people will find it very helpful.

Good luck and see you out in the universe.

As a side note I reformatted this morning and I didn't have the net-7 or client.exe.

So I went to net-7.org logged in and downloaded the net7unified installer and ran it and let it update.

When I got done with the ms dot.net stuff I didn't have the client folder, so I made the Earth & Beyond folder.

I created the release folder also and inside of it, I made a text file called client.exe.(right click the open area create text file/renamed it Client.exe and forced it to change the extension)

So I ran net7 off my desktop and pointed it towards the folder and had it update the game from there and as I was letting net-7 verify files I deleted the client.exe and let it fully update.

Worked fine the launcher replaced the file and off it went.

So another alternative install method.

Added the client unlocker till I write an article on that subject.

release.zip

Net7MultiClientUnlocker.zip

Net-7.zip

Edited by Tradermagoo
New Stuff >:) Updating net-7.zip

hi

installed windows 10 today, wasnt aware u had found a work around for win 8.1, anyways, i tried to follow your directions, im not very computer smart. I got the game to load a couple times, even though it was only 3/4 of my screen size. i couldnt get end config to work, was trying to do the performance test, kept getting an error. I deleted everything and started over, now, when i try to login, as soon as i hit enter, i get dumped right back to desktop. I will try all this again on the weekend, will try to have other laptop running, maybe i will get lucky and u will be on to assist me with the new os. You have been very helpful to me in the past.

Normally getting dumped back to desktop at the map screen is a bad video card driver.

If you would like, I can remote into your computer using teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com )and have a look at your setup and see if i can solve the problem.

Poke me in teamspeak (www.teamspeak.com and ts.net-7.org look for Scootermagoo[GrA] ) I do work during the US daytime hours so.. have some patience I might not be home.

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed Win 10 (Cant find a darn thing...  missin Win 7 already, but perhaps it will grow on me.

After entering the game, all works well, however after a few min it starts to freeze up, just a sec at first, then a bit longer, then longer till it locks up. After a few times of this I loged in and sat outside OMP, same thing happened without me moving.  Any ideas?

With assistance from your handy guide, (thank you kindly for documenting it), I have the game client successfully running on windows 10. I am having a problem with the handoff between servers such as when docking. The client just hangs at the loading screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

With assistance from your handy guide, (thank you kindly for documenting it), I have the game client successfully running on windows 10. I am having a problem with the handoff between servers such as when docking. The client just hangs at the loading screen. Has anyone else had this problem?

Check to be sure you have the prototype reorder box checked on the launcher. That is usually what causes the hangups on gating/docking.

Edited by Alurra

Had a little problem after following this in windows 10.

Following the instructions was good. Except that you need to install the client and install the net7 in the games directory in whch after you click all the .exe's  and run under admin in the directions the net7config.exe will not be there. So had to run the launcher and install the patches in which the net7config.exe appeared in the directory.

I ran into the problem with the game launching in windowed mode after I ran the net7config even though I had the windowed mode unclicked.

Ran the vidtest and windows 10 asked if I wanted to run in in compatibility mode and that worked. I ran the launcher and it still was in windowed mode. So ran the e&bconfig and windows 10 asked me to run it under compatibility mode windows xp service pak 3 and it ran where I was able to click the box and run the game.  Hope this helps

I had the same sort of problem as theswartz.   Game ran fine but i couldn't use enb config to set windowed mode or the resolution, every time it tried to run either it resulted in a crash and an error message in the app event log.

I changed compatibility mode on

Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\vidtest.exe

Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe

to windows xp and bingo all works ok.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i just installed a fresh game onto my new windows 10 coputer and dit not have to change any thing of the setting. just down load the ENB game and the net-7 unified installer.

instal the game then run the net-7 unified installer, update the net-7 launcher by running it and your done.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having issues where I can't swap windows and when I do the program will not register the mouse clicks on the window I switched to keyboard works fine though. Second I ran the net7 config utility and it doesn't change the resolution and I have to run the EnBconfig instead. I'm using Windows 10 as well. Please any help would be appreciative.

5 hours ago, efialtis said:

If you are using dual screens make desktop 1 your leftmost screen in the setup and it should solve your mouse issue.

Oh but even when I had it two clients working on the same screen that is screen 1, which is my most right screen, I still can't control the second window. Heck can't even swap to it. are you sure if I did that it would work with both clients then I really don't want my Cintique to be my number 1 monitor forever. Because my Citique is not connected by HDMI so I don't want it to be number one.

Edit ok I did that and now I can't even use Alt + Space to open up the move option on the window, Also can't right click on task bar to get the option to move the window in 10.  Also still have the issue that Net7config will not alter the game resolution still stuck with using the old ENBconfig. Is there anything I need to do for the game to reconize the Net7config instead of the enbconfig?

Edited by tigrean
Adding more info
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When you have dual screens you must make the leftmost one in your setup as your main and the extended should be to the right of that main screen.

In my setup the ID2 screen is the main and ID1 is the extended to the right side of the main. ID2 is connected via DisplayPort and ID1 via DVI-D.

Think of it as a x/y chart. Coordinates to the left of your main screen  get 'negative' values that the game wont understand.

You can run your screens any way you like but this is the only solution i know that works with this very old game.

I only use the enb configuration program (run as admin) which can be found under EA games\earth & beyond for my screen resolution setup and it works just fine. Never needed anything else.

Dual Screen setup.JPG

Edited by efialtis
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Dunno if this has been said but when the two clients are on top of each other on screen 2 (follow Efi's instructions on how to set up screens)  simply place cursor over the tab on the task bar and both client windows will appear above the task bar side by side. Move cursor over one of them of your choice and right click , the option to move(drag that client window over to screen 1. I believe this might only work if you have the clients set to window mode but thats how i run the game so i dont know about non-window mode).Use the TOOLS tab on launcher to set res and window up and dont forget to allow the TOOLS setup to to run its Performance Test (click OK when its done) also dont forget to do EVERYTHING in ADMIN mode. And one other thing is make sure ALL 4 box's on left of launcher are ticked ........ non on the left . Good luck :)

Edited by Prrekoorb
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really miss this game and want to play again.  I have followed the steps in all the options here to install and update and change permissions and all I get is error "Server Failed to respond to Login attempt"

Just to be clear on the matter.   You do NOT run the shortcut that any E&B installer put on your desktop.  You launch the Net-7 app.  Then click [Play] button (assuming it got done updating) on the Net-7 app and it will launch the game for you.

If you try to launch the game using the E&B shortcut, it will not connect because the game is trying to connect to the old EA servers which are dead and buried.  The Net-7 app sets up a proxy that remaps the game to the emulator servers.

• 2 years later...

I made a post in another thread but got no response. Installed to my gf's laptop after I did a fresh win10 install and everything is good except it gives me the EA response when I try to log in. I installed everything like I always have and this is the first time I've had this issue.

Machinegunbob 

Press windows key on keyboard / or windows icon on default  taksbar laucnh bar 

then windows tab open up press the spacebar

type **launchnet7** ( without the * ) open te app in menu or click on netlauncher7

pin the opened app to your taskbar by overing over it with mouse and clicking on right button for the hidden menu

hope this help

Edited by Moulinneuf
  • Upvote 1

Not sure why I'm having such issues but even going through all the stuff in this topic that I still get the EA response when trying to log in. typically I install the enb and then run the net7 installer and all is well but on this laptop I'm having to jump through hoops. Maybe throw a video recorded install would solve my troubles if possible? if not no biggie. thanks for the help though.

For some reason the video on youtbe showing Earth and beyond install got removed / private ,so sorry o video.

Have you tried to uninstall the game with the windows 10 app system ? 

and reinstall with the earth & beyond emulator installer from ( have to be logged in to net-7 toget it ,I think)

https://www.net-7.org/?#downloads

once you do on the net7 launcher make sure the client line says

C:\Program Files (x86)\Net-7\bin\LaunchNet7.exe

• 11 months later...

So coming back after 7 hiatus, i seem to have issues getting into the games.  i've been though all the posts and tried the suggestions to no avail.  I can now get to the login screen but no further.  My forum and net 7 accounts still existed however they are both the same.  That's the only thing i can think of.

Old story but any thoughts.

Running w10 insiders version

image.png.0ccdbab16bf7a3e08743463849bb9f7f.png