Windows 10

Not to mention that windows 10 will have a yearly based fee. fyi

Are you sure about this? If possible could you post a link?

Thank you in advance,

Mim

----------- Edit ------------------

I did find this link, and it sort of... debunks the Win 10 yearly fee...

http://www.winbeta.org/news/stopping-fud-there-no-yearly-subscription-fee-windows-10

Yeah, no yearly fee, and its their plan for that to be the last OS they release. The whole point of it is to try to make it easier for people like us to develop code with one standard system, and they'll focus on devices and security for the OS.

Redmond Mag called it UWP I think, Universal Windows Platform. It may have been renamed since I read about it.

I know about those.  I had a SlingBox that had a forced super secret update (read we did not have a choice).  It did brick my box.  After many emails it was replaced.  But Microsoft wouldn't do that. ;)

I installed Windows 10 yesterday.  No issues yet except a bit of lag this morning in game.  Others have experienced some issues with the config program for EnB, but I will let them tell it if they are so inclined.

I installed Windows 10 yesterday.  No issues yet except a bit of lag this morning in game.  Others have experienced some issues with the config program for EnB, but I will let them tell it if they are so inclined.

The lag is most likely based on all the data W10 is sending home to MS, incl. all your personal content like emails, your WiFi passwords, keystrokes etc etc etc.

Using Windows 10 is basically putting all (ALL!) your strongest secrets on display - incl. online banking passwords.

I am completely baffled, no1 saw the privacy (lol) statement of W10 so far (in detail) - cuz no1 would even think about using it in that case.

Have a look...:

https://i.imgur.com/iHge6RJ.jpg

I didn't quite get the same information from what I read as Zack did. I do see where they collect data, or that particular Cortana program does, but isn't that essentially the same as SAM in the older OS system learning your speech and/or Siri for Apple? Sure sounds like it to me.

I also noticed that while everyone is saying 'forced' updates, I see an option for delay updates, which, if able to read further into it, I would assume is very very much like the options available now in Win 7 to either not install them or to install them.

Of course none of my systems have Win10 so I will have to restrict my opinions to only what I can read and not to personal experiences.

Fly Safe

-Alurra

I also noticed that while everyone is saying 'forced' updates, I see an option for delay updates, which, if able to read further into it, I would assume is very very much like the options available now in Win 7 to either not install them or to install them.

Up to Windows7 you can completely disable updates.

In Windows 10 you can only delay them, but you will not be able to completely dismiss updates - so yes, it's a "forced update".

Of course you can put the update server URLs in your local hosts file and point it to 127.0.0.1.....  ;)

AFAIK... This is the price that users who acquire Windows 10 for "Free" are being forced to pay.

It is the "Business Model" that Microsoft have come up with to explain to their (largest) shareholders why they are giving away such a enormous and key pillar of their revenue generation model.

And it is not so much about gathering personal data for Orwellian, Government-Mandated purposes... (The NSA, GCHQ &c. do that anyway...) It is about selling the information gathered to other corporations for "Targeted" advertising and marketing purposes.

It is the same Business Model that Facebook uses: have the facility free-to-use; then sell on the information acquired to other businesses that will pay for such information.

Critically though...

No large "Enterprise" is going to allow the kind of snooping (and associated bandwidth) that is compulsory with "lesser" versions of Windows 10; particularly in the Finance, Government and Security Sectors. If Microsoft insisted that the data-gathering facilities of Windows 10 could *NOT* be switched off with "Enterprise" editions of the OS, no large business or Public Sector enterprise would purchase Windows 10 (and MS would miss out on yet another Business Refresh Cycle, just as they did with the debacle that was Windows 8.x).

So if you don't want to be giving all of your information away for free (so that Microsoft can profit from selling it on), then you have to purchase Windows 10 Enterprise.

Interestingly enough... Microsoft has not yet officially released Windows 10 Enterprise, nor given much of a clue to how much it will cost (though we can assume it will be more expensive than the $200 "Professional" edition).

The overt justification for this is that most large Enterprises don't rush to do Enterprise-Wide upgrades of Operating Systems: many large businesses are only just completing the upgrade cycle from Windows XP to Windows 7 (others are still to begin..!).

A more subversive explanation would be that MS wants to encourage/entice Small-to-Medium Sized Enterprises to pick up the "Free [sic]" versions of Windows 10 over the next 12 months; before releasing the *ONLY* version that Large Enterprises (with unavoidable regulatory requirements) would be allowed to buy.

Moral of the Story:

There is *NO* such thing as a Free Lunch.

:(