Sun Radiation And Other Environmental Damage

paul

Yeah, it did.  The radiation from Aragoth Major reduced your shields at first.  There was a red "tail"* effect going from your ship, in the direction away from Aragoth Major.  At some point down the path, whether you were going towards Remote Minefield or Field of Danger, the radiation would also drain your reactor bar.  When you reached that point, the effect from Shield Inversion was used to depict it.

This tail effect applied when you were near the star in Glory's Orbit, but I think that there the environmental effect was magnetism.  In the northern part of BBW there was a large field of L7 & L8 with the occasional L9 mixed asteroids/hydrocarbons, with a gravity shear.  The gravity shear had the same graphic effect as having been debuffed with gravity link.

* I called it a tail effect, because I can't think of a better way to describe it, unfortunately I don't have a screenshot to show for it.

To give a rough idea on the shield drain from AP, live a L5 shield would drain a few ticks a sec. a L6 would stay even and not drain unless of course the sundivers shot you :)

This is kinda my point, it shouldn't mater what size your shield is... If you don't have the required radiation/heat protection you should get your butt kicked.

And you're kinda missing my point. No. Yes there should be more detrimental effects as you enter the suns corona etc. What should those effects be? Should your shields flow in reverse? Should they display little dancing cherubs? Should time flow backwards and you meet your grandfather, kill him and thereby create a time paradox? No.

The AP sun/star should cause more and more as you get closer drain to your shield...I.E. dmg. But if your shields recharge rate exceeds what that constant drain is, then you should see no shield pool drain. My point was, during live, if you had a sufficient shield recharge, right about the L6 shield range (per my post), you saw no shield pool drain, UNLESS you got dmged by mobs, THEN their dps and the already dmg from the sun was added and you actually saw dmg to the pool. What was happening in effect was the suns constant drain to your shield, effectively was a shield recharge rate reducer, like the debuff of that name.

The JE environmental protection bubble negated the shield recharge detriment, so any dmg to the pool was real time dmg from the sundivers. There was no additive detriment to your recharge rate.

The not as then live but as now live problem is: They don't calculate shield recharge during dmg taken such as combat.

I have posted on this problem before in other subject forums. Namely the problem of 0 shield recharge during combat and the negative effects to the whole device lines that PS had. Namely the ShieldGen/Refuge/Restore lines of devices. During THEN live your shield never stopped charging even during combat. If the dmg you were taking was below the recharge rate of your shield you never saw any dmg to your pool. Currently live, if you take combat dmg. your shield stops recharging for 5 sec. So if you park your ship next to a mob that you could flick your finger and it dies, like a CL 8 mob and you with L9 shields. eventually given enough time, that L8 mob could kill you. This is because if it kept nicking you within that 5 sec. your shields never start up again, he would 5 hp you to death over time even if your shield had a 100k pool. If you want to test this phenomenom, park a ship next to Traders Fort for 30 min- 60 with a high level shield. when you return to your ship you will see that your shield is dmged........by a L5 mob! :)

The detriment to PS devices is they have boosts to shield recharge rates 10+%, 20+% 25+% etc., and in the case of restore devices 500x%+ for 10-12 sec. These devices were usable during LIVE to significantly make the PS more durable and to help others also. The only true healer during live was a TT, the PS was the 1/2 healer, they didn't actually heal you they HoTed you. Can't remember the exact  cooldown on the restore from live, but you could EVEN DURING COMBAT heal your shield for 1/3-2/3 every minute or so with a good lvl and quality device.

Yeh, I got kind off of subject there, but the point is, that during live the environmental shield buff wasn't a necessity if you were sufficient shield lvl, it was rather a convenience. If you were going to engage in combat within the corona of the suns effect, you were inefficient if you didn't have the buff, without it you had to keep warping out to either the station or one of the moons to let your shield refill after the suns drain and the mobs dps thumped you. What happened then live is what happens in mercury (not GO) now. If your shield isn't big enough on the recharge, the pool slowly drains down to 0 as you are in the areas effect. This then left you shieldless, but not hullless, your hull was never eaten by AP (and now mercury) unless you got hit by a mob.

Edited by Mattsacre
  • Upvote 1