So You Want To Be A Game Developer?

Kyp

Hello there,

The Earth & Beyond emulator team is seeking several talented, spirited, and knowledgeable folks to work with us in updating and adding to the Earth & Beyond storyline. More specifically, we would like to recruit those who have a more extensive knowledge of each of the racial backgrounds from the live game. Those being Terran, Progen and Jenquai. It is a hard job, and sometimes thankless I would admit, but it’s a very rewarding thing and it teaches one a lot of lessons about what it’s like on the other side.

Part of the delay with content recently has been the extremely limited schedules of those of us that have the knowledge to put together missions that both make for a more enjoyable play experience and not violate the storyline as we have it. This position would mean a few things, first and foremost abiding by all rules specified in our Code of Conduct for developers. You would need a microphone and the ability to attend meetings. These occur at 1pm US Eastern Time on Sunday to try to allow for everyone around the world the chance to participate as we do have developers from all over. Next, you need to be driven to create things, it would help if you were proficient with the idea of writing dialogue or even being willing and able to listen to coaching and constructive criticism.

What this job doesn’t require? Contrary to popular belief it doesn’t mean knowing how to program in any major programming language (although this, or an understanding can help to diagnose problems you might have). We provide our content developers with a tool set that they log into and manipulate a GUI interface to build missions and other items for content for the player base.

Anyway, we’re seeking, and we’re hoping some of you are brave enough to answer the call. If you think this sounds like you and you’re willing to give us 5-10 hours a week to help things move along, please send me a private message here in the forum and introduce yourself. We’ll take it from there.
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Evermoore ??, please tell me this is a typo    :unsure:

Evermoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I have posted a new article on the Facebook page, we are actively seeking additional content developers who meet the requirements listed. Please contact the page or myself directly via PM if you think you meet the requirements.

Since this is one of the most often asked questions: You do not need to know how to write programs to do this job.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Kyp,

I realize this is a very old post, but if you're still looking for content developers, I'm interested. I'm a developer myself, so there's one plus, albeit a web dev - I don't know much about game development.

In addition, I have been thinking about creating a replacement for enbmaps.de. I posted about it under "General", because I couldn't find anywhere more suitable. I was hoping someone in the dev team could help supply nav point data for me to generate the maps with. You can find the thread here:

As others have pointed out in that thread, I can scrape the data or use CTRL+T one nav point at a time and extract the data from the logs. However, that is somewhat tedious and not something I'd like to do if it's at all possible for you guys to simply extract the data from whatever native format it's in and export it to CSV or something like that.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Hi Kyp,

I used to program in machine language years ago and I was published many times.  I am proficient in visual basic.  I'm willing to learn a new language.  I am a retired DR. and Love this game.  I am willing to help.  I would be particularly interested in helping with new content ( new sectors ) or getting the Racetrack in Glenn back open ( or even the slot machines, never in the game ).

Thank you for the consideration and contact me for private info to continue this conversation.

Teflon

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 8:55 PM, TeflonPrime said:

Hi Kyp,

I used to program in machine language years ago and I was published many times.  I am proficient in visual basic.  I'm willing to learn a new language.  I am a retired DR. and Love this game.  I am willing to help.  I would be particularly interested in helping with new content ( new sectors ) or getting the Racetrack in Glenn back open ( or even the slot machines, never in the game ).

Thank you for the consideration and contact me for private info to continue this conversation.

Teflon

Shoot me a PM and we can talk some more.

• 3 months later...

When it comes to the background Terran was extremely racist to Proggers and Jeggers as Trip and Will called them. In-Game racism if it is to another faction was acceptable and highly encouraged by Trip.  Real World Racism will never be acceptable and players banned.  One of the biggest problems when the game was live, PvP there were too many variables and was impossible to have PvP due to friendly/enemy factions and you can become an enemy to your own faction. 

When it came to ground combat, it is not possible even with today's technology.  STO and SWG JTL proved how impossible it is.  STO Atari sold the game because it was a very expensive upkeep and SWG Sunset.  SWTOR did a very inexpensive form of space combat. a pre-programmed rollercoaster ride which players hate.   It is best to keep EnB the way it was created.  One thing which was planned and never implemented jumps to other galaxies, but would require more servers.  In 2004, SWTOR being developed and needing more servers, EnB Sunset.  ALL EnB servers were used for SWTOR.

Why were Space Stations not made bigger and more immersive?  The game was not based on the stations, but updating space and keep space more immersive.   Guild ships were not implemented because they were to big and should not be moved around.  Gates are better used with current player ships which are small and gate sized.   The hidden player ships Terran Scout, Progger Privateer, and Jegger Seeker were not implemented so players can play other races besides TERRAN LIVES MATTER!

Now with all the current events which went on with Real World there would have been a memorial to Space Shuttle Columbia, there would have been 3 new factions Terran Lives Matter, Jenquai Lives Matter, and Progan Lives Matter.  Leader of Earth would be something similar to Empress Conny Crump the X, Presidente Donnie Crumple the V, and President Dementia IV.  Game was designed in a way to be changed and using live events.  If any of you were around in Beta with the attack of Earth Station, Earth Station could have become Red Dragon Territory.  LONG LIVE RED DRAGON!!!

With the timeline now being 20 years now, the Game Developers here can make this game more expansive by creation of Chavez Space Station which players wanted when game was live.  Due to involvement with Westwood/EA I can steer you in right path on how game was to progress.  But, cannot be fully involved. 

One thing Net-7 would have been changed in 2016.  Would have been changed immediately and that would be change "supplying the galaxy with news" it would have been changed supplying the galaxy with "Fake News and Propaganda" knowing Trip all too well he would have changed NET-7 to FAKE-7.           

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are in fact several Chavez stations  dock able ingame at this time and have been for quite some time,  you must have good Chavez faction to dock with them

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/4/2021 at 4:00 PM, Woodstock DGM said:

There are in fact several Chavez stations  dock able ingame at this time and have been for quite some time,  you must have good Chavez faction to dock with them

Is there a way to search that?  I know the Chavez Capital Ship, of course, I seem to remember Eris in Ceres/Thule (possibly the sector itself) is Chavez related, but I can't think of any more than that

*edited to correct spelling error

Edited by Stoop

ah, thank you Woody, I wasn't aware the Ermites were actually Chavez (though I suppose common sense should have told me otherwise since a Chavez mission sent me there)

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I'm a former Live Player and 10-year full stack web dev wanting to help with any free time I may have.  How best could I do that?  I have experience in Java, C++, most types of Databases, python, even most modern AI toolkits.  Can DM a resume if needed.  :)

On 11/24/2023 at 6:51 PM, J4V3N said:

So, I'm a former Live Player and 10-year full stack web dev wanting to help with any free time I may have.  How best could I do that?  I have experience in Java, C++, most types of Databases, python, even most modern AI toolkits.  Can DM a resume if needed.  :)

Do that, but I guess what i'd say is weakest point presently is probably more content developers to write things up and basically create the missions, NPCs, personalities, etc

/edit ... to me that is.

Edited by Kyp
Updated

• 1 month later...

We were talking about device icons in-game (i.e. how many devices re-use icons from various Ore's or Junk which opens up the possibility of mixing up your devices with junk) and how more unique devices icon's are sorely needed, e.g.

Power of the Elements

Ward of Living Stone

Crystal Force Emitter

(I'm sure there are many more, but these are just some recent examples I'm familiar with; perhaps someone could provide a dump of all the items which share an icon?)

Anyway, @laracraft mentioned having worked on a game that was trying to emulate EnB's style and having some unused device art which might be applicable as well as a general ability to create device art in the EnB style.  I just wanted to mention it here and put them in touch with you @Kyp as this would be very cool if we could get more unique icons, especially for very widely used / desirable devices.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.