2 things missing from LIVE to hold player interest

BLOODSHOT

87 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• I agree on both counts.
    • I agree on the AH.
    • I agree on prospecting.
    • I disagree on both counts.

the two things that the LIVE version needed, where simple to say.

but without it, it detracts from the game for both the casual gamer and the hardcore gamer.

[vocabulary, from what i understand LIVE means that, back in the day when EA games ran things, that was what is referred to as LIVE.]

1, it needs an AH. auction house.

anyone that has played WoW knows that when you want gear, the AH is ALWAYS worth a look.

it gives the crafters an outlet for their goods and it gives everyone a place to look for gear.

its just too important in modern online gaming not to have it.

[E&B didnt have an AH right?]

2, EVERYONE needs access to prospect.

i played a terran warrior. with game time cards.

IF my terran warrior had had access to an AH for his

http://www.earthandbeyond.ca/community/coolstuff/enbplaner/enforcer.html

build weapons and build engines skills...

and if at level 45 he had been able to unlock Prospect 1 [somehow, whatever pre-reqs fits i dont really care]

THEN i would have had continued interest.

because every ship can work on combat and trade levels, BUT only the 2 explorers could work on exploration thru prospecting [if memory serves.]

=======

these two things would have made the game MORE for everyone.

without them... [shrugs] only the hardcore E&B player wants the good ole days back REALLY bad.

my 2 cents.

-BLOODSHOT

AH has already been suggested many time's and it probably wont happen because it would most likely require major tinkering with the client. As for non explorer's being able to mine...that's just a horrible idea. What should be done is exp for mining should be reworked in such a way that it is worth it for people to be grouped with miner while they are mining.

AH has already been suggested many time's and it probably wont happen because it would most likely require major tinkering with the client. As for non explorer's being able to mine...that's just a horrible idea. What should be done is exp for mining should be reworked in such a way that it is worth it for people to be grouped with miner while they are mining.

i still dont agree.

everyone can combat. everyone can trade run.

everyone needs to be able to mine. [at some point.] its just too interesting a part of the game.

WHY am i fighting? its fun.

WHY am i doing trade runs, its logical.

WHY am i in this asteroid field?

make mining gear on non explorers take up a weapons slot. [without it geared, non explorers cant mine.][or something]

that way explorers dont feel... quite so ... i duno. redundant.

i downloaded the stuff to play and while i was downloading i was surfing the forums.

you guys are too hard-core on this...

T'was a good game. but its still missing that special something. [iMO]

i duno i may install and give it a whirl since its free, but...

As for prospecting for all classes, never going to happen, the skill is meant to be only held by a couple, ok, now a few. As for the AH idea, on Peggy I remember auctions being held all the time on private channels by individual players. They'd simply announce the auction on the market channel with the channel # and those interested would participate in a live auction. These were much more fun than the AH idea since folks were bidding live and ragging each other in the chat, all respectfully of course. In the end, sometimes you got a deal, others it might get pricey. The concept also left allowances for individual flexibility like starting bids and other factors.

Another time we used auctions on Peggy that I personally enjoyed was loot distribution for public raids. We'd auction for known potential drops of the good stuff once we locked in the groups which would attend, then gather the funds as items were looted. Someone from the hosting group would manage the collection of all the extra stuff used in crafting or had any value and action it after the raid was finished. At the end of the raid and auctions, proceeds were gathered and split between all attendee groups equally. While it did tend to take quite a while to complete the process, everyone involved had the chance to pull in some good profit. On a bad day you would pull about 15 mil but a good day might net 35 mil or much more. It really depended on how many participated, how badly they wanted things and how much over all was available to spend.

Some will like this idea, others wont. I've heard all the arguments from both sides and both sides have merit for the opposing reason. However, Since it should be up to the group hosting the raid, be it a guild or a couple of guys who just want to try it, it should be left to them to decide the distribution methods. If its not your style, don't participate.

In any case, the flexibility of communications in Earth and Beyond mixed with the entrepreneurial efforts of the people who played negated the need for a structured AH. Then again, there will always be the forums, assuming we can get them to work efficiently enough to do it. They're already available in a very limited and buggy condition in the news terminals on the stations. I haven't fully explored how much works just yet but it gives me hope.

auction house would be cool if it was possible.

prospecting, nahh. What would be the point of being an explorer? You can tell by how much outrage happened over the prospecting bugs that most explorers spend a great deal of time mining. Making this apply to warriors and traders would lead to a great deal less explorers. Giving such a vital part of explorers to other classes would disrupt the balance of classes.

• Upvote 1

Easy answer:

1. NO

2. NO

If everyone can prospect, we can delete the explorer class. And after this give everyone the ability to build everything in game and then we can delete all classes, except the TE, he can then build everything, mine everything and kite/kill everything. WOW! YES! GREAT!

And the old auction house idea... FORGET IT! We have a good comunity. We play together. We talk together. A auction house would kill this all.

There was a recent thread which talked about allowing additional device/weapon slots to be purchasable. Now you're asking for all classes to gain the ability to prospect! I mentioned in my reply concerning the additional slots that there'd be a request for skills to be made available to all classes. The whole point of enb is the strengths/weaknessess and various abilities of each class/profession improving the community aspect of the game. The same applies for the AH idea ..... the Market channel is a great place (imho) and theres usually someone available to answer your questions and provide you with the things you need without the need for any Auction houses. Sure it may work but i'd much rather ask in Market and fly out to meet the seller/builder, it just adds an extra flavour to the game we all love.

No and No. The market channel encourages players to actually do some interaction with each other. And Orion used to use the private channel auction system too. That's enough to cover it.

And prospecting has to stay explore classes only. If'when explore xp and general mining issues are fixed obtaining ores won't be so hard. Most people found EnB mining fun and relaxing. Asking for explore on warrior classes makes as much sense as wanting critical targeting on the explore classes.

just my .02

I would be ok with everyone getting mining if EVERYONE could also build ammo :) see I can be reasonable... just a little trade off to make it happy happy for everyone :blink:

/edit oh and of course these would be jump through rings of fire to get skills I imagine... but imo I am good with that too

the third thing is open the level cap from 50/50/50.

im talking about making the game MORE.

not rehashing old news.

[im not a coder so i dont know what is practical, im talking about what would be fun.]

more systems, more levels for everyone, open the level cap.

make prospecting in some form available to everyone.[with restrictions for non explorers. like prospecting gear takes a weapons slot i think might be appropriate.<?>]

and add an AH.

if all that was in i would buy time cards again.

im talking something real here.

for casual gamers and hardcore gamers.

and i never razz anyone. in real life or anywhere else. [someone said something about the auctions in the live chat.]

i dont WANT an army of characters... o my guy hit level cap and its time to level cap some other guy.

so yea im interested in more versatility for everyone.

eventually all classes get many abilities.

what if level cap was 200/200/200?[or whatever][more then it is now]

see what i am saying?

damn straight i would by time cards for that.

This game is balanced out in the way that some classes get some skills and others other skills.

Why on earth change that.

Prospect is Explorer only for a reason.

Explorers prospect ore, TT's need prospected ore to build some components, other classes need components to build diff stuff.

Balance.

On the AH issue, EnB was out way before WoW.

Was never intended to have an AH, this is why Market channel is there.

Iff u need exploration make an explorer on a second account and group up with your warrior class and mine til your eyes pop.

This is how i gotten my exploration on my Pw.

Got a high lvl Explorer with my pw in formation.

Cheers *Zap*

there is alot of potential for 3 separate experience bars.

THAT was the coolest part of the whole game.

get bored doing 1 experience bar? switch to another one no problem.

that is what makes the game. i think.

but i dont want to have to switch chars to do it.

call me a lazy gamer.

but a tractor beam is a tractor beam. <shrugs>

i bet if the game had had the two things i mentioned then we wouldnt be here...

we would still be paying EA games...

i know i would have.

the third thing is open the level cap from 50/50/50.

im talking about making the game MORE.

not rehashing old news.

[im not a coder so i dont know what is practical, im talking about what would be fun.]

more systems, more levels for everyone, open the level cap.

make prospecting in some form available to everyone.[with restrictions for non explorers. like prospecting gear takes a weapons slot i think might be appropriate.<?>]

and add an AH.

if all that was in i would buy time cards again.

im talking something real here.

for casual gamers and hardcore gamers.

and i never razz anyone. in real life or anywhere else. [someone said something about the auctions in the live chat.]

i dont WANT an army of characters... o my guy hit level cap and its time to level cap some other guy.

so yea im interested in more versatility for everyone.

eventually all classes get many abilities.

what if level cap was 200/200/200?[or whatever][more then it is now]

see what i am saying?

damn straight i would by time cards for that.

Yes, level 600 cap....that's gotta get our vote, damnit why didn't we think of that?

And yes totally agreed, you shouldnt have to make an army of characters while most other people would like to. You're too goddamn genial to refuse this for.

Any other great ideas?

• Upvote 1

Mining is basically useless as it is due to the excessive amount of creds making it simpler for a builder to just rip components for ores. If I want ores, I'll just rip soemthing to get them (2 minutes) vs hunting for a supplier.

All end game ammo that I'm aware of is vendor/looted components (zet/archos are dead).

As a TT I've had no use for an explorer to supply me, that the last thing I would suggest is making them even more useless.

The answer is NO and NO. You have more than one player slot, so you can try classes that play differently. That's much better than the "everyone has the same skillset but a different texture" type factions other games have. That would remove the distinction between the classes and would make the game boring.

Auction House would be possible by using a web-frontend inside the in-game browser or an IRC-like system using in-game chat. No insurmountable technical difficulties. But I don't think the development time needed would be worth it.

the two things that the LIVE version needed, where simple to say.

but without it, it detracts from the game for both the casual gamer and the hardcore gamer.

[vocabulary, from what i understand LIVE means that, back in the day when EA games ran things, that was what is referred to as LIVE.]

1, it needs an AH. auction house.

anyone that has played WoW knows that when you want gear, the AH is ALWAYS worth a look.

it gives the crafters an outlet for their goods and it gives everyone a place to look for gear.

its just too important in modern online gaming not to have it.

[E&B didnt have an AH right?]

2, EVERYONE needs access to prospect.

i played a terran warrior. with game time cards.

IF my terran warrior had had access to an AH for his

http://www.earthandbeyond.ca/community/coolstuff/enbplaner/enforcer.html

build weapons and build engines skills...

and if at level 45 he had been able to unlock Prospect 1 [somehow, whatever pre-reqs fits i dont really care]

THEN i would have had continued interest.

because every ship can work on combat and trade levels, BUT only the 2 explorers could work on exploration thru prospecting [if memory serves.]

=======

these two things would have made the game MORE for everyone.

without them... [shrugs] only the hardcore E&B player wants the good ole days back REALLY bad.

my 2 cents.

-BLOODSHOT

I have to disagree on both counts.

Auction houses ARE highly convenient, but make conducting business an impersonal affair. Keeping things personal and remembering that someone actually took the time to make a thing available for you, when they could have been off smiting one thing or another, and remembering that the universe does not revolve around you and that you would be limited without the aide of others is a GOOD thing in my book.

Everyone mining? Well, why not let everyone cloak... and use missiles... and wormhole... and and and? Pretty soon there are no distinctions or real classes, going down that road.

The original design worked far better, in some ways, than so many that followed. Why reinvent it? Was it broken? Not in my book. The LACK of "convenience" in some things was offset by surprise benefits in the form of encouraging people to work together. It also tends to showcase the "better" inclinations that people can display.

Don't get me wrong, your ideas are well meant, but making things easier does not always make them better. If you want the ultimate in impersonality, go play EVE. But I can tell you that story, short & sweet: trust no one!