If EA turned the servers back on...

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you subscribe?

• Yes
    • No

well its just start me thinking ... will i go for 2 years to pay again 20 dollars (for 2 acc) or not ?

if they going back with the old design but in a newer coat and lower the prices then i say Yes im in.

But if they are going back with the same looks and content then no and i stick to the emu

what i ment is if they going to make this game looks like example Eve but in the old game content im in. i still love it to paly after 10 years and it was a part of my life in live time :) probly for lots of people.

Anyway if they dont then lets make this Emu a good succes

Grtz.

Doddelpw

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the price and if the bellends at EA had nothing to do with it.

Lets face it, it was a fun game and they killed the game off and suggested I play the sims, as the sims was much more fun.

Tried eve, but piracy is too easy and not enough of a deterrent as you increase standing to the law by going to low sec and blowing bots up, then kill high sec traders with no real loss.

even had a 10 day come back to us trial, but they forgot to enable my time and have replied to my email.

What's to stop EA pulling the plug in a year or two and offer sims 7 ?

• 3 months later...

After much thought on this and in regards to what I originally posted here...

I changed my position. I would not want to see EA Games and Steam do a partnership. I would like to see Steam Buy out EA Games and see what they have and see what would be great to bring back.

As for if EA decided to turn the servers back on.. I would not ever go back to them and pay them my hard earned money what so ever.

I did play EVE online a lot and I really got in to it. I have came in to ownership of some battleships and even a capital freighter to help me move my base around.

But even with that.. I keep on gravitating back to EnB I do how ever play other FTP games like APB Reloaded, Team Fortress 2, and Minecraft. How ever EnB has been my first real home and game where I could do what I want to do when I want to do it. I used to play Nintendo Animal Crossing and that game was okay and it had a similar mechanic do it with the upgrades done to the house and such. But still I wanted more.

When I seen Earth and Beyond and read about it when it was announcing the beta sign ups and such to be happening soon. I wanted in soo bad but I had a computer that was not able to run the game one iotta. It took a couple of years before I could finally get in to the game. I got in the day BEFORE they announced sunset. When I seen that Sunset was announced I was very bummed out so bad. I thought to my self back then; "I finally get to play this game after all that begging, pleading, and reasoning and getting nowhere.. And THIS happens? What Gives?"

I asked EA Games on the phone before they had the sunset happen about what could be done to get this sunset to not happen. They would not tell me anything as it was apparent that they did not wish the game to live at all. I did play it enough to get a taste as to what it was all about and I loved it. It felt like a place that I belonged and was warm and welcoming with me being able to do the things that I fantasized about doing since I was little. And then EA Games with out any consideration to the community decided to pull the plug. They did not even warn that there might be a sunset what so ever. They did not even give any kind of thought when they pulled the game from the stores, and even pull the advertisements and such.

That all being said to give the short answer to the question of this thread; "Would you play if they turned the servers back on?" My answer would be No. Reason being is that it would be just a matter of time before they decide to do the same thing and it would be Sep, 14 2004 12:00 PM P.T. all over again. but on another date in an undetermined point in the future in this fabric of the space time continuum that we are living in.

Hope this answer even though long winded, helps!

• 2 weeks later...

As for myself I would never pay for an EA game. I feel they have no idea how to treat the community of players. Only if they gave up the code to Net-7 would I even consider paying for this game. I loved it back when and still enjoy playing on a daily basis. With that said if Net-7 had the code and control...... yes I would

• 3 months later...

I love(d) EnB ever since alpha. I personally knew the WW crew, didn't EA. With trepidation I figured give EA the benefit of the doubt, they failed. When they muffed EnB I got mad, when they screwed my WW buds over I got angry, when they announced sunset I grew wroth. I vowed then to never buy a EA product again.

I broke that promise for the first time last yr. They had a deal you just can't resist (the C&C 7 in 1 disk). I should have resisted, given EA's history I should have totally known better. The "deal" never got delivered, the "7/1 disk" wasn't a disk, it was a code to download it all from their "origins" web site, it didn't work, nor ,despite  many attempts to get what I paid for, has it ever been delivered . I could have got more for my money by using the 25$ to scrub a toilet. At least the toilet would be clean with far less hassle.

So no, if EA turned it all back on, even with a glorious upgrade and story etc etc. I would NOT pay for a EA product. If they wiped their hands of it and let a 3rd party have a go (like the current EnBEMU guys :)) I would give it a serious go, but as long as EA is in anyway associated with it? Big fat NO!

I was month to month $14.99 after the first 30 days free for disk purchase. They had package deals that brought it  down, it was like 13.49ish for 3 month or 6 month sub it was $11.99 month I think. And I know it was $9.99 month for a yr sub (which I had.) They had GTC via vendors that were a bit more than the sub rates (dollar or so). And also for some folks they gave out GTCs (like for folks from Beta we got 2 months free instead of 30 days if we bought in before 30 expired from like date).  And EA had a "friends and family" thing that got a month for bringing other players/victims.

The Devs from WW also had given out GTC to local test sites/vendors to give out as well ( I got a couple months of free that way as well, since I was in alpha, and one of the test sites was my local hangout/dive :))  ( Ah..MaryK's..what fond memories ^_^)Beta players also got as part of their package a F.ounding F.ather  graphic for one of their ships, we were also were promised  EA logoed gear: a mouse pad (didn't get one), a t-shirt (didn't get one) a wall galactic map (didn't get one) and a key board overlay (WOW GOT THAT!) a flimsy paper, rapidly faded, and not really useful item. So like so many other EA promises not kept, is it any wonder I don't trust or like them? :)

Hmm quote extractor not functioning....

Edited by Mattsacre

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say that id go back if EA turned the servers back on even though I despise EA for closing it down in the first place...

Don't get me wrong, what you guys have done here is awesome, you have taken a client and created a server from scratch that the client can talk to and understand, and then populated the server with more content than the original servers had.

That being said though their are some obvious things wrong with the game that everyone just seems to pass over either because its been like this from the start therefore considered normal or no one seems to remember how it worked from sunset.  To me these things stick out a bit too much. This is your version Earth & Beyond, not the one I fell in love with.

I definitely would not return if EA turned the servers back on.

Everything that EA ever did (and this is an observation, not a criticism) with EnB was motivated by money, and it always felt that way, right up to the motivation for turning the servers off.

By contrast, the guys running this Emulator are motivated by love; by the love of the Game. And I feel that every second I spend playing it.

There is no contest.

• Upvote 2

Here are my thoughts on this question.  

First, EA would never ever NEVER have the guys from Westwood back. Not that EA would not want/need them but pretty sure once burned the Westwood guys learned the same lesson we did...

Second, having watched the development of this game from the start this development crew is dedicated  (read Holyman's post) to bringing this game back.  

Third, You may say that it is NOT the same as the original but it is so close that the Westwood guys have given their stamp of approval on the project.  There were posts before the great server crash. 

Forth, I accept changes (some begrudgingly - read B's Progen additions) We should accept the current developers need to add their own ideas into the project. This is mostly done by committee... most off the wall changes are kept to a minimum. (The committee must have been sleeping when B slipped in the Agrippa idea).

In closing the ONLY way I would even consider going back to EA is if they brought this development crew with the game.  But I would think long and hard, and hope the devs here did the same. 

"Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me."

Just saying,

Mim