If EA turned the servers back on...

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you subscribe?

• Yes
    • No

It would have to be a new from the ground up, modernized and supported sequel for me. As much as I love this game still it definitely shows its age much like FFXI that I also loved to play (though it is getting its own modern update as FFXIV).

wouldnt the starbases with the disco room count as 5? also while you might not be able to add rooms... you could probably add as many floors as you want... just put in an elevator and when you walk in you would zone up or down to the next floor?

We can't add any of that sort of stuff, since we don't have the source code for the client. ;(

Maybe the disco room counts as part of the bazaar, since there isn't a door seperating them from one another. Same for stations like N7 that have an upstairs room in their Lounge.

Exactly. The client essentially sees each room as a completely separate 3D space, you just jump from one to another whenever you change rooms, which is why you'll notice the little lag jump between rooms. (Also, the lighting changes, which is kind of funny)

The way the client works, each starbase can have 4 rooms: a hangar, a main lobby, a lounge, and a bazaar. Although I think you could technically add any room for any of these (the lounge could probably be another bazaar), you can't have any more than those 4 starbase rooms.

We can't add any of that sort of stuff, since we don't have the source code for the client. ;(

Exactly. The client essentially sees each room as a completely separate 3D space, you just jump from one to another whenever you change rooms, which is why you'll notice the little lag jump between rooms. (Also, the lighting changes, which is kind of funny)

The way the client works, each starbase can have 4 rooms: a hangar, a main lobby, a lounge, and a bazaar. Although I think you could technically add any room for any of these (the lounge could probably be another bazaar), you can't have any more than those 4 starbase rooms.

while obviously a real low priority... then would it be possible to remodel each room and even enlarge it... put up walls (with open doorways) and even make half the hangar bay into something usable

• Upvote 1

while obviously a real low priority... then would it be possible to remodel each room and even enlarge it... put up walls (with open doorways) and even make half the hangar bay into something usable

Sounds like a good idea to me. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Polishing up an old game, putting new packaging on it and reselling it is not a new concept in video game marketing.

Precidences like Family Guy and Futurama being brought back to life on account of fan outcry can give us hope.

To be honest, I could realistically see EnB being cross platformed to consoles easily.

I see a lot of people commentating on x-box douchebags, and the younger gaming generation as well, but this is the society we live in now, with hundreds of millions of people connected to one another, free to blog, free to grief, free to act a fool anonymously. Until there's a paradigm shift in the gaming industry AND community as a whole, we're stuck with sharing webspace with the unwashed masses.

If they re-release it, I think they'd be stupid NOT to put it in console format.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't seen this before. Yes, that's entirely doable, it's hard to find modelers to do this for us though. sad.gif

Do you use some kind of program to design the starbases or is it open notepad - place object at locattion x 33 y 56? ( well not quite like that but you'll get the point )

Agreed. I could do with the client code though. I'd love to see if we could hack together more rooms for starbases and GUI mods would be easily within our grasp.

AS C Dell said it would be really nice to get the Client code would make it allot easier to update the graphics of the game !and help in other areas also.

AS C Dell said it would be really nice to get the Client code would make it allot easier to update the graphics of the game !and help in other areas also.

If EA were to actually release the source code for the client, what are some things that the team could do that they cannot currently do without the source code? (out of curiosity)

• 2 weeks later...

If EA were to actually release the source code for the client, what are some things that the team could do that they cannot currently do without the source code? (out of curiosity)

We would have a more solid understanding of how the client works, which would lead to greater connection stability, allow us more control over in-game graphics, allow us to change the in-game GUI, add features, etc. Essentially, it would allow us to do whatever we want.

We would have a more solid understanding of how the client works, which would lead to greater connection stability, allow us more control over in-game graphics, allow us to change the in-game GUI, add features, etc. Essentially, it would allow us to do whatever we want.

Thank you for answering.

hrm let me think... let EA upset me again when they cancel it again without ever really focusing on it for all the money I paid them, or play in community driven game, run by people who care about both the game and people playing it!!

I'll got for the latter please!

as for the comments about about getting the source code for the client, that would obviously be fab... we just need a mole inside the company.

Would I pay a sub fee to play EnB hell yes I would and I would be happy to do it. I loved this game when it was live and played it up until the day they pulled the plug. Would I pay EA a sub fee to play it, not a fat chance in hell. They already killed it once and looking back on it now after playing on Emu since Monday (yes I just found this all last weekend and logged in for the first time in almost 6 years on Monday) the support, development, content updates and improvement, and GM availability in live was severely lacking. I also wouldn't trust EA not to turn around and pull the plug again in a year.

Now in my personal opinion EA should either open source the game or license/grant rights to the community to do with it as we please. Doing so would encourage the community to prosper and allow for even further advances from were we stand now. Including more robust options to update the client as well as server content. This would also allow the emu team to charge a reasonable fee for server access and their time instead of relying on community generosity to keep them going (not that the community isn't generous I have seen the donations information that is posted and plan on donating myself after payday).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I will not pay for a nearly 10 year old game. Now if they attempted to come out with a fully updated client including all the changes that we need then perhaps. Though now it would have to compete with Eve online, SWG, STO, and soon SW:KotoR.

If they could get some developers behind the story that actually know what they are doing and give them the chance EA could have a powerful presence in the MMO world. Just keep the idiots from XBox live off of it.

If i remember it right the monthly for this game was less than 15 a month. Does anyone remember what it was. I think it was 10 or 12 dollars.

Just think about this game just sitting in a vault at EA collecting dust. If someone were to step up and buy it then come here and hire the devs as leaders to help work on it. Then i would be all over that. Imagine Net7 entertainment becoming a company like ccp. 

• 1 month later...

If i remember it right the monthly for this game was less than 15 a month. Does anyone remember what it was. I think it was 10 or 12 dollars.

Vote was No.   Cost was 14.99 USD

It would be a hard decision honestly. EnB is a great game, probably tied for first with SWG (pre-CU/NGE) for me. But EAs track record with MMOs makes them hard to trust. In the end, assuming the game basics stayed the same but with updated content, newer graphics (game still looks amazing to me even though its 10 years old), I'd have to take the chance and give it a go. And that isn't because I'd forgive EA or anything, simply because I feel EnB is that good of a game.

The only way I would "sub" to an EA game is if they promised in the EULA, that it would never be canceled and there would be montlhly (at the least updates) . But That would not happen as the model for games EA seems to have is 2 years and the only option is an "upgrade" to the latest, or you can "****off"

Not only no but HECK NO!   :angry:   They unplugged Battletech 3025 for The Sims: Online (TSO), unplugged E&B for the same reason (iirc) then they unplugged TSO (ironically)...   What?  They ended two great games for that thing...then ended that thing too.  Not a very good track record...    I truly wouldn't go back to EA games willingly even if they paid me because they probably would stiff me anyways.   <_<

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe sell EnB to Steam or at least do a partnership with Steam. That will give it a very good leg up.

But yeah what many have said before and I still say this..

EA = Satan

EMU Devs = Angels.

• 1 month later...