If EA turned the servers back on...

270 members have voted

1. 1. Would you subscribe?

• Yes
    • No

I will not pay for a nearly 10 year old game. Now if they attempted to come out with a fully updated client including all the changes that we need then perhaps. Though now it would have to compete with Eve online, SWG, STO, and soon SW:KotoR.

If they could get some developers behind the story that actually know what they are doing and give them the chance EA could have a powerful presence in the MMO world. Just keep the idiots from XBox live off of it.

It would be a hard decision honestly. EnB is a great game, probably tied for first with SWG (pre-CU/NGE) for me. But EAs track record with MMOs makes them hard to trust. In the end, assuming the game basics stayed the same but with updated content, newer graphics (game still looks amazing to me even though its 10 years old), I'd have to take the chance and give it a go. And that isn't because I'd forgive EA or anything, simply because I feel EnB is that good of a game.

As much as I love the game, I would have to say probably not. The game is a bit dated, which honestly doesn't bother me, but there's just something about this project that makes me happy to be a part of it in my miniscule and meaningless way. I brag about the Developers whose names I don't know, I have meaningful conversations with folks I barely know in-game, and enjoy playing an old game I know pretty well. It's the community of this game that keeps me coming back. There's too much negativity in other MMO's stemming from the player base. I don't even keep any zone or general chat on in other MMO's because of the constant barrage of crap. This is different. Much more welcoming and fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It would be prudent to subscribe to check stuff out and maybe get some ideas for changes and improvements to the emulator. Which is why I imagine the devs would subscribe, actually.

EDIT: Discussions like this are probably bad for the forum, on second thought. EA's legal department might look the other way indefinitely, but we certainly do not improve our odds by openly bashing the IP's rightful owner in a public forum.

Would i subscribe? no i wouldnt. Why would i leave a community that takes so much care to keep a game alive that otherwise would be dead ? For a crapload of flashy gimmiks, and another upset?

This is not bashing. In my eyes its just simply telling the truth. So i rather stick to people with a heart.

Loyalty 4tw and my respect to all who keep this emu ticking.

I will not pay for a nearly 10 year old game. Now if they attempted to come out with a fully updated client including all the changes that we need then perhaps. Though now it would have to compete with Eve online, SWG, STO, and soon SW:KotoR.

If they could get some developers behind the story that actually know what they are doing and give them the chance EA could have a powerful presence in the MMO world. Just keep the idiots from XBox live off of it.

The Xbox players now outnumber old style MMO gamers 3 to 1... or more. This is why all "MMO"s are being released now are (in my opinion) just fancy console games for PC with multiplayer content.

True MMO Gamers are still out there, but now we feel like aliens in our own homeland. Any attempt to bring EnB back by EA would result in a worse game than the original... worse from the point of view of an old style MMO Gamer like myself. The beancounters that control the MMO Industry now won't allow Developers to think quality and long term, just profit and short term. MMOs diesigned this way almost always disappoint Players that would have been attracted to the original EnB.

/official on - When creating your polls, please think them through. If you only have two answers to choose from then you need to consider hard whether or not a maybe might be an appropriate response. Rarely is anything as cut and dry as a simple yes or no as in this case. I don't mean to pick on this poll, it's just the one that broke the back so to speak. - /official off

As for myself, I can't vote because it'd be maybe but I would have to know more about their intentions on further development of the game. For the time being, as far as I know, EA isn't really much interested in MMOs. Their focus is Console games with PC titles to go with those mostly as an aside. ie.. EA Sports games

However, with fluctuating changes in the economy and the gaming industry, who's to say they might not gravitate moving toward MMOs as a viable source of lost income as kids begin to find their jobs taken by us older folks or their parents less likely to shell out 50 bucks for a game. They might find it an easy out in to revitalize an MMO like this. Tack on some new content, pretty it up just a little, tack micro transactions onto it and off they go with Earth and Beyond 2 - Vengeance of Man. You can't tell me you wouldn't want take a peek. I know I would if for no other reason than just to see.

• Downvote 3

The poll leaves out an option...

MAYBE

Why maybe? Well, it would seem that the DEVs here have advanced the game in many ways beyond the capabilities of EA. Extra classes, sectors, skills, sector editors, etc. Those are important items. I believe it may be set to become an ever expanding universe... at least the potential is there.

I can imagine an unlikely scenario in which EA got involved in a constructive way... a vanishingly small chance. In such circumstances I MIGHT agree to actually fork over a few Washingtons to them for the chance to see where it goes.

But for just opening up the old, unstable, unfinished servers, under an inexperienced management team? Don't think so. It sounds like an endeavour made up of wholesale FAIL.

And...

The folks here at the EMU deserve far more respect than that too!

There would be no good business reason to support a MMO with a player base of maybe a couple thousand users. That's not worth any company's time, let alone one the size of EA.

This wasn't shut down to spite people, it would have been a business case decision. Plugging it back in 10 years later would make zero sense at all as it wouldn't even be noticed on the market (not that it was the first time either).

If a MMO can't pull people from WoW, it's a waste of resources, and I think companies are going to clue into that at some point unless they can create a profitable game based on microtransactions. The amount of failed MMO's recently is amazing.

...Plugging it back in 10 years later would make zero sense at all as it wouldn't even be noticed on the market (not that it was the first time either).

If a MMO can't pull people from WoW, it's a waste of resources, and I think companies are going to clue into that at some point unless they can create a profitable game based on microtransactions. The amount of failed MMO's recently is amazing.

The reason a lot of current MMOs fail is that the recent trend is to release a unfinished product. It has become the norm for an MMO to release without ANY end-game content, raiding or otherwise (multiple MMOs recently), with amazing amounts of downtime (again, multiple recent MMOs), a poor leveling system (Conan and Aion come to mind here, even EnB could fit in here as its very limited), and a clunky crafting system that has no depth at all (Conan, Aion, STO).

As for subscription numbers, MMOs are advertised by word of mouth more than anything else. And wether people want to admit it or not, a lot of the WoW fanbois will hit up new MMO forums just to trash the game for their beloved WoW. Which brings me to my last point -

WoW is the current MMO monster, love it or hate it thats how it is. But WoW's success has led to a new breed of MMOs players which are undermining what got the MMO market to its current place. New MMO players don't want to work for anything, even if it is barely even working for it. This type of player wants the simplicity of a single-player game, with the social interaction of an MMO. They want their hands held through every quest, every level and every gear upgrade choice. And since they now outnumber the older MMO players (from probably SWG back I would consider the older-style players) every new MMO is being catered to this type of player.

Recent games that have tried to target the older players have been trying to also attract a handful of the new MMO player as well, and that is why they typically fail. They are too boring/easy for the older players, and too hard for the new MMO player. MMO companies aren't likely to change their views on what makes a successful MMO (AKA a WoW reskin), and players will continue to trash any MMO that doesn't have 12 million players like WoW.

As someone that truely enjoys MMO-playstyle, I believe we're locked into a vicious cycle that isn't likely to end anytime soon...

I won't vote in the poll, but I can say probably no in here. Why? I loved the game and they shut it down. Okay - so nothing in life is guaranteed, but I heard they bought the game just to get some of the code. If they did so, they probably bought the game with the idea in mind to shut it down. The fodder they offered those of us who played from the beginning was just that - fodder. Subscription to what was it? Some archaic world that had no resemblance to the only online game I had ever played.

Yea, it's the community I think I enjoy most - along with the virtual productivity.

No - I think I would hope emulator would live through EA's attempt to supplant it.