145 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in IT?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quasi-IT here. I'm an RCDD, so I design the infrastructure for your data centers, structured cabling, etc, as well as function as a project manager for installations, technical trainer for installation personnel, and alternate salesperson as our sales staff couldn't sell you a $20 bill for $5.

Quasi-IT here. I'm an RCDD, so I design the infrastructure for your data centers, structured cabling, etc, as well as function as a project manager for installations, technical trainer for installation personnel, and alternate salesperson as our sales staff couldn't sell you a $20 bill for $5.

They could sell me as many $20 bills for $5 as they have in stock. I'll take the lot.

They could sell me as many $20 bills for $5 as they have in stock. I'll take the lot.

Ill pay $5.50 B)

I'm going to tech currently, transferring to USC (east coast) this fall to finish BS in computer science. Fighting a losing battle to do it without loans. Hope this ends up paying well lol

Im not IT but usually get stuck doing their work after-hours when they're all home in bed. I've been working around computers ever since we did our database and readiness reporting work with punchcards in the Marines (don't do the math...it even scares me to think about how long ago it was).

wow, and our squadron orderly room only used 8" floppies at my first base, no punch cards though. you'd think that the Air Force would be cutting edge even in orderly rooms, but noooooo. The did upgrade from 286's (a couple of 8088's still in use actually), straight to pentium 60's (weren't they the ones with the math error? lol).

wow, and our squadron orderly room only used 8" floppies at my first base, no punch cards though. you'd think that the Air Force would be cutting edge even in orderly rooms, but noooooo. The did upgrade from 286's (a couple of 8088's still in use actually), straight to pentium 60's (weren't they the ones with the math error? lol).

I think you mean the Pentium 5 (which clocked at 60 MHz initially, so easily interchangeable). Yeah, that one really put a lot of egg on Intel's corporate face.

I have a Hollerith card sitting right here on my desk; I'm probably one of the few around this shop that ever actually used these for anything other than a bookmarker. B)

"Back in the day" (typical code for "I'm old) when I was in junior high, living at the Armed Forces Staff College in Norfolk, my (Marine) Scoutmaster would let me tag along when he had to work weekends on the computer running CincLantFleet. I was already pretty geeky (shelled out over $70 - in 1970's money!! - for a TI calculator) but I think being around that sucker pushed me over the edge.

Just a few years left until I join that increasingly large crowd of retired mainframe techs. Yeehaw!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Like about 65% of us here, I also work in IT. Unlike most of you, I'm the guy you don't like.....I'm a Project Manager! (yeah, I can hear you all boo-ing and hiss-ing at me! lol)

I am though working on the worlds largest IT project (the full IT upgrade of the entire British health service.) With 60 million customers, 1.8 million users and more treatments/services than most of us care to think of, managing this lot is no mean feat.

However, in the context of EnB, I don't think my skills are going to be needed as much as Devs, DBAs and code-monkeys.

Still, I'm here if ppl need :)

R

I think this is what is needed first:

a Project Manager as Supervisor who keeps the line.