Jenquai Explorer

This guide is for players that are new to the Jenquai Explorer, and are looking for help about there class along the way.

Advantages:

• The biggest advantage: They can create wormholes, best at exploration, extremely stealthy, very fast, and 6 Device Slots.
  • Cloak – Hide from your enemies
  • Scan – Allows you to see farther
  • Elemental shield – Prevents damaging space energy
  • Build skills – Build your own reactors and devices
  • Jumpstart – Allows incapacitated players to be revived.
  • Fold Space – Allows you to teleport you or your group in sector
  • Navigate – Allows you to warp and move faster
  • Prospecting – Allows you to mine asteroids for exp and minerals
  • Shield Leech - Steal enemy shield and absorb it as energy
  • Create Wormhole – Allows groups to be vast distances in the blink of an eye.

Disadvantages:

• Extremely weak shield and hull
  • No missile technology
  • Worst at combat
  • 3 weapon slots
  • Requires very careful play

Exploration Focus

Beam Weapon (9): 8

Projectile Weapon (8): ---

Reactor Tech (9): Max

Device Tech (9): Max

Engine Tech (8): Max

Shield Tech (8): Max

Create Wormhole (7): Max

Shield Leech (7): ---

Prospect (7): Max

Cloak (7): Max

Navigate (7): 4

Jumpstart (7): 5

Elemental Shield (7): 5

Fold Space (5): Max

Scan (7): Max

Advantages:

• Excellent at Exploration
  • Teleport to all areas
  • Excellent prospect ability
  • Excellent Group Combat Cloak
  • Excellent Navigate
  • Good Jumpstart
  • Good Elemental shield
  • Good Fold Space

Disadvantages:

• Not very versatile
  • Low scan skill
  • Base find weakness skill
  • Base build skills No secondary weapon

Combination Focus

Create Wormhole (7): Max

Jumpstart (7): 6

Cloak (7): 5

Navigate (7): 5

Elemental Shield (7): 5

Build Reactors (7): 5

Build Devices (7): 5

Fold Space (5): 4

Scan (7): 4

Advantages:

• Very good at exploration
  • Teleport to all areas
  • Very Good Jumpstart
  • Good Combat Cloak
  • Good Navigate
  • Good Elemental shield
  • Very versatile

Disadvantages:

• Not specialized
  • No secondary weapon

Trade Focus

Build Reactors (7): Max

Build Devices (7): Max

Create Wormhole (7) Max

Cloak (7): 5

Jumpstart (7): 4

Navigate (7): 4

Elemental Shield (7): 3

Fold Space (5): 3

Scan (7): 2

Advantages:

• Very Good at exploration
  • Teleport to all areas
  • Excellent build skills
  • Combat cloak
  • Versatile

Disadvantages:

• Low Elemental Shield
  • Low Fold Space
  • Poor Scan ability
  • No secondary weapon

Hints and Tips

Grouping:

Jenquai explorers are meant to group by nature. They are not a class that is easy to solo. Everyone will constantly look for them because of their wormhole ability and they will be welcomed into a group almost everywhere. The find weakness ability will also help group combat. Their build reactor skill will also be in big demand because they are the only ones who have it. This can be a fun class to play, especially if you like to group and be with a lot of people all the time. Group cloak is also another bonus to help groups.

Solo:

Solo exploration is not hard to come by. Prospecting is a very good mean to level and make good cash also. It can get dangerous however as enemies tend to lurk in asteroid belts just waiting for an explorer to munch on. Solo combat is a joke. Taking on enemies close to your level is suicide, and lower enemies is still a tough fight. They have to fight close range and with poor shields and armor it is very hard. Combine that with only three weapons and you have an extremely poor class for combat.

Starting out:

After you finish your newbie missions you have a choice to make. First you must choose which weapon you are going to specialize in. This will make all the difference in the world. It will change your solo and group tactics and how you do combat in the future. A brief rundown is that terrans specialize in missile technology. While they hit hard from afar, they can get very costly. Progen specialize in projectiles have a medium range and do good damage, but also can get costly, but less then missiles. Jenquai specialize in beams that are close range combat and require no upkeep. Many simply choose beams because it is cost effective. Choose the one that’s right for you.

You must also choose what type of class you want to play as putting points into skills will make a big difference later on. So choose carefully and pick the one that suits you. Plan you character early and it will save you a lot of time when you get into the higher levels. You can’t go back and change your character, so whatever you use your points for you’re stuck with it unless you can find a Progen Sentinel with "Call Forward".

Advanced tips:

As you grow and gain experience you will find that certain things work better against certain enemies. Remember this, as it can be a big help in the future. Learn when to use your skills when they will be most effective. Try to avoid combat as much as possible. Once you reach 50 in exploration, any experience in that area will apply to the rest of the skill areas. It is very possible to get to 150 just by mining, although it would be very long and boring. This can be a very fun class to play, but it can also be very infuriating.

You're missing Shield Leech, also JE only gets Fold Space to L5. L7 Fold Space is JW only. I would recommend at least L3 in both Fold Space and Environment Shield on any JE. E-Shield raises your deflects by 10 and at L3 makes you immune to environmental damage, while L1 and 2 only half environemntal damage, when it works properly Fold Space (L3) can be used to separate mobs.

When it's fixed to work properly, L3 Fold Space will teleport an enemy that's within 5.5K of you in the direction you are facing. There are a few enemies that are immune to Fold Space, mostly in Ardus. The tactic for a JE to use Fold Space to separate mobs is to go within 5.5K of a group of mobs, pick one, turn your back to the group, and press L3 Fold Space. Unless the Mob resists this will put the mob approx 5K in front of you, cloak close, and attack, or if you want it further away from it's allies, close some then Teleport it away some more. Any mob you use Fold Space on will aggro, some mobs will have their buddies aggro as well, it depends on the mob.

If you're post 150 and decide to max Projectiles (after you max beams), Fold Space becomes more useful for Kiting tactics. Sure PLs only go to L8 and don't do as much damage as Beams when attacking up close from combat cloak, but if you get a HoDo reactor (fishbowl), you can attack from nearly 7K away with a pair of Ninja's Shurikens, and a More Value PL Type Zet. This means that for at least some mobs, you can inflict damage while being outside of their range to return fire, if you want even more room for error use a Coma to blind the mob's scanners first (wait till Coma hits before firing). In Live there was a patch that added distance penalties on Beams, such that they would only do their full damage if used at less than 50% range, and at max range would only do 50% damage, Projectiles suffer from no such penalty. If you choose to use PLs you're trading away some reactor performance and damage, for greater ability to kite, with more room for error. IMO while situational, PLs are useful on a JE, but you should max your beams first, and use overflow points for PLs. If you wish to use PLs on a Jenquai, you must get a PL range extender to make it worthwhile.

Edit: Removed reference to 5th Vector Reactor, HoDo has superior cap and recharge to 5th Vector according ot Slayerman's database. 5th Vector is still a viable option for players who would use Projectiles on a Jenquai, but both HoDo and 5th Vector are inferior to Cygnus 9 in recharge. 5th Vector is inferior to Cygnus 9 in both cap and recharge, but Cyg 9 cannot buff Projectile Range.

As a JE you want to get your signature as low as possible regardless of which weapon you use, whenever you're mining, or fighting. Mob detection, at least in Live, worked by adding the mob's scan range, to your signature. If the sum of those 2 numbers was equal to or greater than your distance from the mob, the mob sees you (unless you're cloaked, and the mob is unable to detect cloaked objects). It also means that the mob can fire upon you if within it's weapon range. Mobs cannot fire beyond their range to detect you, even if their weapon has a longer range than their ability to detect you, because they cannot see what they're shooting at. This makes both having a low sig, and using a Coma valuable to any Jenquai, especially the JE.

Don't even consider using a high sig engine on a JE for anything other than travelling long distances. If you're doing trade runs, or after the terminals are added, jobs, then is the time to use that high warp engine that's also a big "shoot me" sign. Otherwise use a Mercurius/Halley/Trifid until you can get something better.

As a Jenquai regardless of class you want to use Gallina/Draco/Cygnus reactors for combat or mining, while using a Kraken or Unicorn for travel. Unless you have something better, or for a specific situation.

On Devices you want a Sculptor whenever you're mining, any Reactor buffs you can get, as well as a Harpy to speed up your tractor beam. If you can get a Golden Tooth it replaces the Harpy and the Sculptor. You want a Chimaera for whenever you're going to fight anything, while using Plasma beams, but if you're using Energy theres no point in using one. You want an Ivory Ward and a Tolerance (or a dense bullyware chitin), together those 2 devices raise all your deflects to +30. A Coma device is also useful for blinding mobs, and has a longer range of effect than the chim. A Hercules device improves your E-Shield skill (keeps it up longer before it drops), E-Shield is useful in combat if only for the deflects, at higher levels, it can put energy in your reactor and cause feedback damage to any enemy attcking you unless that enemy is using Energy (it's not much but every little bit helps) it (Hercules device) also at higher levels gives device damage control (your devices are less likely to lose structure/quality when you take hull damage but the protection isn't perfect so still be careful). If you know what type of damage your enemies use, you can bring one of the various GETCo "Animal Skin" devices (so can the other explorers), and use them to buff yourself and your groupmates against those types of damage. JE can also make themselves useful to groups with devices that transfer reactor energy to groupmates, it's also recommended that you get a Blood of the Dragon built (reactor recharge activated) and if you want to do balm runs get a Power Augmenter L9 (increase reactor cap/activated) Of course a Seeker can also make herself useful with max Reactor Optimization since that has the same effect as a BoTD and a Power Augmenter 9. I don't know if those devices and the JT's skill will stack but if they do, it would make a JE/JT combination very useful to any group as battery bots.

When Lyle McDonald's missions for JE/PE are implemented you want to do them. You will need max prospect to complete the mission but along the way you will get a device called Loony's Spcial Gizmoblatsit. It's very useful for both JE and PE, it improves your scan range, reduces your signature, speeds up your tractor beam, and lengthens your tractor beam. Don't mistake it for a Progen Gene-Map and space it, they looked the same in Live. It's an irreplacable device, and in live it was given out at 200% quality. You'll want to use this device whenever you're mining, but I personally wouldn't take it to raids since if it's trashed you can't replace it or repair it. Any other combat where you don't expect to be taking hull damage frequently, I would recommend using it. If you have a zero sig engine, like a Solar Sail, you can get your sig down to 0.1 using this device. Lyle also gives you a Loony's Hunk O'Metal which is useful for warp travel because it stacks with boht a Laz/RR+ as well as a Unicorn reactor. (Don't mistake this device for debris and space it) It's buffs are Additive Turbo Warp, both equip and activated. Completion of the mission gives you the choice of 1 of the 3 following devices, Chili-Popper (debuffer useful in combat, and what I chose in Live), Tail Tucker (return to GoH.), and 1 other device. I think the third device to choose from was White Lightnin' (reduced cost for freewarping), but I'm not sure.

When you reach L8 shields, after the Mordana are added, get a TT to build you a Veiled Oyoroi shield, with max Prospect, and this shield you get the skill up to the cap. (Prospect can be buffed beyond L7, just not raised by skill points). This shield also buffs your scan range, reactor cap and has the commonplace Improved Cloaking buff. This shield eliminates the need for a Sculptor or any other Improve Prospect device. You still should carry a harpy when mining unless you have something else with Fast Tractor Beam.

On Weapons, you will often want to equip Plasma beams and a Chimaera (debuffs plasma), When Mining you will commonly come across Manes in orefields. Energy beams are useless against them and in some cases actually heal high level Manes. Voltoi are also immune to Energy so if you're mining in Antares, equip plasma. Both enemies have the same weakness, they're not very fast, and they have fairly poor scan range. If you have a reasonably low sig and wish to attack one, you can get in Coma range, decloaked, without them seeing you, (unless their scanners have been improved over what they were in Live). Coma is a fairly long range device it's range is either 4.0 or 4.5 at L8, I forget which. Coma will aggro the mob, so don't use it if you don't intend to fight. You will find you have far more choices in Energy beams than Plasma beams as a JE, and you will often find that Plasma beams are usually more useful than energy beams, especially since a JE can easily debuff plasma.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been finding this class kind of frustrating, especially now since I am over level 100. I can hardly ever find anyone to group with, and soloing is tedious. This despite that I am in a guild.

^_^

Changing JE's ability to reflect damage using Env. Shield from a fixed number to a percentage, or allowing them to prospect while cloaked, would help smooth things over a little bit for them in solo combat. Other than that, there's not much that can be done until there are more players in the game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

how do you get the jumpstart skill? i know it's gotta do with relk goodspeed near the saturn gate in astroid belt alpha but i approach him, can't interact with him, nothing. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? what i gotta do? please help

edit:

nvm, found out, sorry gang

You have to be overall level 20 to get the quest, and then you have to go to Earth Station, I believe it is, to get 3 romance novels to get the skill.

• 2 years later...

I just went through this.

The key thing to note is that there's an indicator in the top right of your screen after visiting goodspeed's ship.

Click it and you will see a communication from goodspeed to go get the novels Rumrunner mentioned.

The game needs a better method of getting one's attention when a message like that comes in.

I just went through this.

The key thing to note is that there's an indicator in the top right of your screen after visiting goodspeed's ship.

Click it and you will see a communication from goodspeed to go get the novels Rumrunner mentioned.

The game needs a better method of getting one's attention when a message like that comes in.

Client limitations unfortunately.  There are a great many things we would like to do that we just cant.  Example being an icon over an NPC's head indicating "hey i have a mission for you", simply cant be done with this client =/

Ok players this isn't WoW . We don't need bubbles over the npc's heads . we dont need pvp(arena is fine).  Think about this .the game came out the same time as eve .wow was 2 yrs away from it . so quit trying to make this game like WoW or eve .dont make the mistake of thinking we should .it would ruin the game we all loved and are glad its back.

• 1 year later...

As a Jenquai Explorer if I use Shield Leech as a third weapon for shield damage would you use

1) 4-6 second reload low/medium damage energy Beam and 1) 7-9 second reload Medium/high damage plasma beam.

What would your build and tactic be with Combat Cloak and Shield Leech?

As a Jenquai Explorer if I use Shield Leech as a third weapon for shield damage would you use

1) 4-6 second reload low/medium damage energy Beam and 1) 7-9 second reload Medium/high damage plasma beam.

What would your build and tactic be with Combat Cloak and Shield Leech?

I wouldn't bother with energy beams in most situations on a JE.  Go with Plasma beams, appropriate to your level, and a Chimaera to debuff.  Shoot at your enemies from behind, if you're not shooting, you should be cloaked, or powering up cloak.   Somewhere in there slip in a Shield Leech.  (when will depend on your level, the level of what you're fighting, and how much power you have in your reactor.)   A Coma device is also helpful.

Now if you find mobs that are more vulnerable to energy than they are to plasma, then you should use energy beams.  Would likely be a mob with a pretty high Plasma deflect and no energy resistance or energy vulnerability. 

Interesting.

I guess I should of specified Bio or mechanical and level.

NPC mechanical 3-5 levels above you.

I would think that when you got down to the hull of an NPC that plasma would be less effective

than energy. IIRC that was true for the RD base Station.

For Plasma where would you have your weapons fire rate/Damage?

Two identical plasma weapons at the timing of DOT and Combat Cloak, 4-6 seconds LowDPS or

One 4 sec and One at 7-9 seconds highDPS.

The shield damage isn't an issue its when the shield is gone, your Shield Leech is no longer a weapon.

Its getting through the hull that will take a little more time and patients.

On my JD I don't wait for ALL my beams reloads to cycle, I wait for my twin 6 seconds to reload then

Fire out of cloak, by the time I get back into CC my second set of beams have cycled reload.

Basically I'm spamming CC every 4 seconds for a double damage on 1-2 beams.

I use a LOT of energy but Energy Leech fixes that. I don't need a NPC shields to get its energy I wait

just before it dies and get the energy I need for the next fight.

Offen I wait for the Energy Leech to cycle while in CC before I finish off the NPC!

For a JE I would think that on the first attack: 1) Shield Leech, 2) Chimeara's 3) Fire Beams, 4) CCloak.

Rinse and repete after every other reload and cycle.

If the NPC still has a shield, after Shield Leech has cycled Hit the NPC again with Shield Leech 

and fill your reactor for the hull fight. That would mean your fighting something of a much higher level.

You may get better XP per minute per NPC if you hunted something smaller, but not as exciting. :)

Dam JE is fun  :w00t:

I'll experiment with a good 4-6sec JE energy beam and a 9 second Plasma beam, it'll be fun.

Yeah, if I recall correctly Plasma & Chemical are opposites on this, in that Plasma gets extra damage against shields, while chemical against hulls.  The main reason that plasma is better than energy on a JE is that the JE can debuff plasma with a common PM item.  It's harder to get JE usable items that debuff energy, but if you've got a trader with you, the Manticore would help there.  All 3 traders can use the Manticore line of devices, but I'd expect that most of the characters that equip one are JTs.

I didn't catch what level JE we're talking about w/r/t beam choices, only that you're over EL25 since you've got combat cloak.  If you're CL50 get a Made to Live beam (6 seconds).  There are no parts that are both non-manufacturable and loot only.  Check the database for the parts you need to get one made, and what ores you need to make the parts.   The other 2 slots may have to be Pitbull Sr. until you can get something better.  If you can already get better Plasma beams than the Pitbull Sr. then disregard that beam.  Longer reloads will generally be better than shorter ones, all other things being equal, but it would apply the same as the JW or JT. 

Shield Leech has a cool down timer, don't expect to use it more than once on a mob, maybe twice.

• 1 year later...

Im new here, but I see L150? is there a new skill level guide according to what we have in this server or it is the same than the old server??

The skills are the same as the original game except that the JE has one extra skill Extended Wormhole.  You can find a character planner for the class at the N7 Portal.

• 2 years later...