Change the Chat Rules

Hi EMU,

We have 3 area's of player base it would seem:

1. Dev's/GM's/Admin:The establishment and their multitude of player accounts and characters.

2. The 3 Main Guilds.

3. Public.

I would be interested as to what the Public and Guilds part of the player base think of the following suggestion:

"New Player" channel - being reclassified as an all round (including off topic) common chat area.

Points in favour of this change:

- The current default chat channels at character/account creation contain "New Player" channel - not the "Out of Context" and "General" channels.

- The "New Player" channel is currently used as an all round common chat area - unless Admin intervene or some older players know particular admin are present (from my personal observations).

- The "New Player" channel is the first channel new players see - and some have stated it is nice to see a friendly, chatty - welcoming community spirit, without having to be reprimanded by Admin for using the wrong channel.

- The Public community has no default communal off-topic chat area - they are told to go to "Out of Context"

- Ergonomics and efficiency - the "New Player" channel requires no alteration of the game settings to use.

May I remind 'some' members of the Admin - this is your public forum for idea's, so please refrain from censoring / over-ruling this issue as some of you do on the in game chat.

Thank you for your time.

• Downvote 1

Edit: Mmorpgs are not just about gaining levels and finding the best shinnies, or being nice to people to get your guild numbers up. There is a social communication aspect, which I feel Enb EMU is failing to facilitate for the public population.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We already have "off topic" channels available.   Please use the Out of Context channel for that.  Why do we need to redefine the purpose of the New Player chat channel when we already have General, Guild, Market, New Player, OOC (as above), and several role-playing specific channels?  I am not sure I see the point other than as a convenience for people unwilling to use the current channels properly.

Just my opinion....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

We have plenty of channels already. We also have several years of using these channels with established guidance on how they should be used. Unfortunately there are some players who want to use profanity, lavatorial humor, inflamatory language, debating baiting, trolling, etc. New Player is not for that. It's where new players should go for help. Older players hang out there to be helpful. General is where you can chat more freely, and OOC is where you can really go to town on politics, etc. But still subject to the profanity/racist/personal attacks guidelines.

The right to free speech is precious and applies to USA generally - but not on a channel designed for new players and the general player-base who do not need to hear juvenile jokes, acid humor, insults and worse. We just don't need to hear it, especially when some of us have children playing, and specifically because those of us helping out in New don't need to be scanning the channel for the genuine cries for help in a wall of trash-talk and blathering mish-mash.
  • Upvote 2

We have plenty of channels already. We also have several years of using these channels with established guidance on how they should be used. Unfortunately there are some players who want to use profanity, lavatorial humor, inflamatory language, debating baiting, trolling, etc. New Player is not for that. It's where new players should go for help. Older players hang out there to be helpful. General is where you can chat more freely, and OOC is where you can really go to town on politics, etc. But still subject to the profanity/racist/personal attacks guidelines.

The right to free speech is precious and applies to USA generally - but not on a channel designed for new players and the general player-base who do not need to hear juvenile jokes, acid humor, insults and worse. We just don't need to hear it, especially when some of us have children playing, and specifically because those of us helping out in New don't need to be scanning the channel for the genuine cries for help in a wall of trash-talk and blathering mish-mash.

*whispers* I was going to say that too.  

Plus one from me.

Just saying,

Mim

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have to agree with Iacobus and subsequent posters as well.  The channels, IMO, are fine the way they currently are.  If a new player has difficulty figuring out which channels to monitor, or how to change the channels monitored, there are players that would be willing to help them.

Hi EMU,

We have 3 area's of player base it would seem:

1. Dev's/GM's/Admin:The establishment and their multitude of player accounts and characters.

2. The 3 Main Guilds.

3. Public.

I would be interested as to what the Public and Guilds part of the player base think of the following suggestion:

"New Player" channel - being reclassified as an all round (including off topic) common chat area.

Points in favour of this change:

- The current default chat channels at character/account creation contain "New Player" channel - not the "Out of Context" and "General" channels.

- The "New Player" channel is currently used as an all round common chat area - unless Admin intervene or some older players know particular admin are present (from my personal observations).

- The "New Player" channel is the first channel new players see - and some have stated it is nice to see a friendly, chatty - welcoming community spirit, without having to be reprimanded by Admin for using the wrong channel.

- The Public community has no default communal off-topic chat area - they are told to go to "Out of Context"

- Ergonomics and efficiency - the "New Player" channel requires no alteration of the game settings to use.

May I remind 'some' members of the Admin - this is your public forum for idea's, so please refrain from censoring / over-ruling this issue as some of you do on the in game chat.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: Mmorpgs are not just about gaining levels and finding the best shinnies, or being nice to people to get your guild numbers up. There is a social communication aspect, which I feel Enb EMU is failing to facilitate for the public population.

1. The way i see it is the GM's / Devs / etc already use player to player PVT and / or do use the appropriate channel

2. Guilds do exactly the same as above

3. Public , yes you've guessed it.......... do exactly the same (They can and do also use the 'Private Channel' option under 'Chat') 

And New Player chat should be "Hi i just found this game again" ,  "I need help" , "Can i help you"?  (you get the picture) NOT politics / religion etc etc (date rape was even a subject one night) .

I miss Englishvirtue ?  :)

Edited by Prrekoorb

Change the Chat Rules

Not going to happen.

May i remind you that the forums and the game go hand in hand.

If you have never read the rules as i suspect,You may find them enlightening.  

You may not argue with or neglect to follow instructions of Net-7
staff. The player names of Net-7 staff begin with the word DEV,
ADMIN or GM, and may be identified in that fashion.

Sorry Blacklung I ment censoring / overruling the  "discussion" of this issue.

I too believe rules are to be adhered to - but as in any process that can be improved, rules are subject to change - once a management system has reviewed any proposal.

This topic and the suggestions were being discussed yesterday in game on the New Players Channel (not in length I might add), the discussion was cut short after a new player was told , that an Admin/GM/Dev would log in their Admin/GM/Dev character to stop the discussion. Which is why I brought this topic to the attention of the forum - where it can be properly discussed by "some" of the player base.

May I add, this is not about rights or free-speech, it is purely an exercise in discussion, with the goal of improvement. Continual improvement/assessment is key to the longevity of an entity/process.

Motivation:

I am not any devil - or his twin brother lol. Just a nice man who likes to understand how and why things work. It is possible people feel threatened by that. I assure you I have no malicious intent. Although I do like to have an impish giggle every now and again.

MUHAHAHAahaha.......

Goal:

Someone yesterday also refered to me ingame as, "It's that pizza guy" - which I absolutely loved, positive or negative - it means a social connection was made with another player.

I genuinely feel (after 3 - 4 weeks of playing EnB EMU, +8 hours a day) that new players are being shut out, of an established community that has forgotten how to have fun, and takes life and gaming very SERIOUSLY.

The thread of this suggestion is to re-engage the old and the new, by the means of a less cumbersome "out of context" chat system.

Massively
Mulitiplayer
Role-playing
Galaxy

This is what Earth & Beyond was originally labeled. If you need interaction so badly, N, why don't you use the /rp channel for all your in-character relations? I have seen quite a few players join me there, either to respond to my /n7news reports or to generally razz my poor,Progen-centric journalism. Even Zona Mason hates me. Meh. There is plenty enough interaction on [New Players], [General] (I know because I comment there often). I even advertise the Call Forward (Meet the new you!) in the [Market] channel.

So many players nowadays have forgotten the R in MMORPG. Sad. But come interact with me in the above channels if you crave interaction. Be advised that other, "grizzled pilots", will look at you funny for talking to a rat.

I uphold the current status quo having been given the means to Role-play with worthy, characterful pilots. Too bad the rest just want to Win.

From the Situation Room aboard NET-7 SOL in Saturn sector, this is the Pakkrat.