just a thought about explorers and prospect skill

STRETTCH

often times i've seen explorers prospecting in high lvl ore feilds when they don't have the combat lvls to be able to handle the pop mobs or guardians. i have done it myself.

I think a possible solution would be to change prospect skill from an explore lvling skill to a combat lvling skill. this way a miner would always have better combat ability to handle the mobs in the ore fields they can mine in, i know that prospect skill can be boosted by devices but it still would keep them from being an explore lvl 50 je/ts/ps with combat lvl 12 which currently would allow them to mine a lvl 9 ore feild but not handle the mobs.

just a thought, i know most miners will be dead set against this, but if you really think about it , it makes alot of sense.

If a miner wants to level up explore without combat because they feel that they can handle the mobs without fighting, let them. As a JE who mined high level fields with low combat skill, I always had fold space and cloak to keep me safe. A TS can simply run away. A PS is tough enough to survive encounters and even fight the mobs in many circumstances. A skilled miner doesn't have to fight to mine high level ores in the vast majority of circumstances. Explorers have those unique skills for a reason. Survival is one of those reasons. Well-played miners rarely die. Leave combat to the warriors, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Well said Vitaes, as a miner you have no need to fight unless you want to, fold space and Cloak are our best defense while mining. Me on the other hand, I pop every pop roid/hydro/Gas I can. You never know what you’re going to get in that Box of Chocolates. I say leave as is, we're minners not fighters.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.

I have to also agree with Syber & Vitaes.  For a JE we do have options for avoiding combat, and between the Fox, Lion, and Jaguar beams we can defend ourselves against energy immune enemies if we have to fight.  The other options mentioned earlier, cloak & fold space are helpful, especially Teleport Enemy which you can get by EL5 at the low cost of 3 skill points.  Coma helps too which you can get at OL20 if you provide the parts (or the ores to make them).  The PE can play dead if necessary, the Scout is the one that would have to run away.  If the Scout were to get a "hide" skill, they'd have more options as well.

even as a scout u dont have to run (at least not far). just outrun the enemys fly circles around em. drag em outside of that orefield warp back to your last spot till they are back or warp to the other side of that orefield and (if sig is low enough) the just go away :)

Just my last thought on this, When I lv ANY toon, the last skill I lvl is combat, my trade is always the first to pop at 50 and explore is close behind; and yes even on PW / TE / JD. This way I have the shield to handle any mob I encounter.

Just my last thought on this, When I lv ANY toon, the last skill I lvl is combat, my trade is always the first to pop at 50 and explore is close behind; and yes even on PW / TE / JD. This way I have the shield to handle any mob I encounter.

I think this strategy makes the most sense as well.  It's how I leveled my characters both here & in EnB Origins.  Explore is the biggest PITA to get for anyone who isn't an explorer (regardless of race).  The trade jobs are the most efficient way to get XP, including using Trade XP for spillover.  This assumes that L150 as quickly as possible is your goal.

If you're more concerned with enjoying the leveling up process, and not hitting the terminals, you'll need to be an explorer & it will be slow.  If you want to do it with a warrior or trader, well, you're going to have to use the job terminal, or do trade runs.  Even then you will need to get TL & EL high, before you work on combat.  The most efficient process will still be Trade jobs, you'll just stop doing them after you reach TL50, and at least EL40, then play normally from that point on.  From there your equipment should keep up with your weapons.  Your CL will have also been raised, but depending on where it was when you started it should still be behind your EL.