pre-raid auctions (public raids) as money sink idea

STRETTCH

in live, on pegasus server and maybe some others, there were often times full public raids. prior to the start of these raids the raid sponsor (leader) would hold an auction for all possible raid drop items. after the raid the highest bidders for the items that actually dropped would pay for them to the sponsor. the sponsor would then devide the ' take ' between the number of groups involved in the raid, and give that amount to each group leader. then the group leaders would devide thier 'take' by the number of players in thier group and give each of them that amount.

this was a nice way of gaining credits needed to win an oober item and at the same time give players something to spend those multi millions on. also everyone involved in a raid left with some gain.

would anyone be interested in seeing this type of system incorporated into some of our public raids? i know i would.

• Downvote 1

I'm more of a fan of the lotto method for the rewards.  In such a system the people who are new to the raids, but participate, have a shot at a drop more quickly.  I'm reminded of Serinna's public fishbowls in the closing months of EnB Origins on Andromeda.  Being the looter for a raid is pretty awesome though, done that a couple of times, and often got 2-3 overdings doing so.  One raid I'm looking forward to, but didn't do in the original, is the one (Scooter I think) where the SS8 drops.

I do agree with the premise of needing credits for things, since right now our economy, for most items, is mostly barter.  I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, but it's a start for coming up with ideas of making credits useful.  Thanks for bringing it up.

• Upvote 1

One thing the EMU hasn't been is "about the money"    If its done that way, the richest gets the prize, next raid the next richest gets the prize, etc.

As it stands now, everyone involved has a fair shot at the loot

• Upvote 1

that may be true to some extent at first, but all who participate will get a share of those credits spent thereby making them better equipt to win an auction next time.

in live we had nearly 200 players at these raids and most items went for 20- 50 mil. so the credits recieved by each player wasn't as much as it would be here.

in these emu raids i've never seen more than 5 groups of people, thats only 30 players. if you have 5 drops go for 40 mil each thats 200 mil devided by 30 players = over 6.5 mil per player. and drops that didn't get auctioned off would still be lotto'd.

also many players already have multiples of some of the more coveted drops, and i don't think they would bid 100's of millions or more to win another copy, just to keep someone else from having one. but if they did thats alot more credits for the rest of us.

if i have a choice of doing a raid, with a 1 in 30 chance of winning the lotto on the one item i really need or want, as opposed to at least gaining more credits to someday be able to win the item, i'll choose the latter everytime.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I remember that from Pegalag i liked it and i can say why. I been invited to my fist Gate raid (tada-o-Gate) from an Big guild member since i had some loose contact to him from farming grounds and building items.

The bidding started (and yes bidding took more time as the Raid itself) and i asked my buddy what are they bidding... he said MILLION creds my cash stats at that moment was somehow right below my first Million creds overall.  I thought geez ill never get an item that way when the ML goes for 200M creds.

At the end of that raid it was payoff time and i went off with a cash stat of nearly 30M Creds. I had nuff cash to buy me better quip (was using ML Class Z3) that time since i found em somewhere and had no cash for better ML.

4 Weeks and more or less 8 raids Later i had nuff cash to bid on my first own Smiters Fury and won it for that 200M. Since i participated in that raid i payed ONLY 160 M (200-40 as payoff).

That way the story continued I been the Looter for the FIRST SolarSail8 on our server that went for a Ultimate price of over 1 BILLION creds and it dropped from Genril McQuicken btw. Same sector as Scooter but totally different mob. Scooter dropped the Hyperactive Nerve Bundle to build the Dung Flinger ML and the ML itself.   

I am trying to keep an open mind on this method, but I still don't see how this would be a better way.  

The ones with all the high end gear are the ones with the most credits, they will outbid the others until they do not desire the item for themselves or their friends, So the ones without said gear/credits have to wait until all the others don't want the item any longer, and the price drops to a point they can win the bid.

The current method gives a fair shot to each person at the raid to win the item.

Currently, when a trigger spawns it takes 45 min to 2 hrs to get the groups formed, this bidding would add to the time frame, and if others show up for the raid after the bidding does the bidding start over? or are they excluded from bidding?

I do see how this method would/may work IF the server had 2000 players in game fighting for a spot in the raids as it was in live, but with the current server base I don't see how this would be better than the current method in use.

If I am missing something please let me know, as I said Im trying to see how it would be better.

mainly this was suggested as a way to use some of the credits many players currently have no use for. it would reallocate some of the wealth and not truly be a credit sink, but i see nothing wrong in that. i'm guessing that i might have to sponsor a fishbowl with this method to see if it would spark some interest in doing the same for some public raids.

• 2 months later...

I feel like the fairest way to divide loot is to roll for the item and the highest roll wins.    Having more credits than someone else should not be a factor in who gets loot.  Anyone that participates in the raid should have an equal chance at getting the item.

Pegasus We did a lot of FB Raids bidding was the norm. Bidding took place at Orsini.

I have a screen shot of bidding during live.
The total amount collected was then divided among all the raid participants.

It was not uncommon to net 80 to 170 million credits.

Unlike the free economy we had in st4 and still some what have now, the economy has gotten better.