DPS at 200%

Ok something has been driving me a little crazy. I'm going to use Beams here just because that's what I was just looking through. My question is, in the database at Net-7 it shows all the stats of the different beams but I always thought the main one is DPS. So if that's true why would anyone use any of the ones that are below 50 which is the top DPS beam in level 7? I mean there is a ton of beams to choose from but I don't know why you would. I know there has to be an answer for this so Ill wait before I get my lev 7 beams lol. I do know about the buffs so that's not the answer im looking for. I always get the buffs I want first then I go for the highest DPS of those.

Depends on the beam in question, some are more difficult to obtain than others.  In addition, when I looked at the L7 beams, the ones at or over 50DPS were either Energy or EMP.  If you're a Jenquai you can debuff plasma, regardless of your profession, but of the Jenquai only the Seeker can debuff energy, and only the Defender can debuff EMP, with readily available Player Made devices.  The Swimming Jaguar; however, has 49DPS at 200% quality, and all Jenquai can debuff it's damage type.

Say as a hypothetical situation, you have a mob that's slightly vulnerable to Energy, but takes normal damage from Plasma.  If you are a JT, then it makes sense to equip energy if you have beam with equal or better DPS than your plasma choices.  If you're a JE or JW; however, the Swimming Jaguar, and a Chimaera is a better choice, since they cannot use the Manticore to debuff Energy.  It's likely that in such a case, for the JW and JE, that they will actually get more DPS using a Swimming Jaguar & a Chimaera, than they would using an energy beam with 1 or 2 more DPS, even with the mob's vulnerability to energy, since they cannot use the Manticore. (I'm assuming that you also have L7 devices, and the mob's vulnerability to energy isn't greater than the vulnerability to plasma it would have after the Chimaera hits)