JE miners need love

xulei

I think we could use some new JE only beams that have good mining stats on them but poor combat stats. In fact I would encourage a whole line of equipment that would help JE's do anything other than fighting and make combat harder.

If cloak gets back to how it should be there is no need for a JE to have to kill any mobs in a mine field, just cloak and wait for it to move on then continue mining (this is what I spent most of my time doing in live at 150).

We definitely need new beams, but given Manes I can think of one that already fits this description. The Ghost's Edge gives buffs that are useful to mining in Reactor Recharge & Scan, so and Cloak to help avoid being seen. The beam, however, is useless against the Manes that guard many orefields. I'd favor a Plasma beam with average stats, and a Fast Tractor beam buff instead. Fast tractor beam is quite useful in mining and Plasma for when that Manes has aggroed, and you are willing ot fight back instead of always running. When levelling up, a Prospect buff on a beam is fine too, provided, it has something else buff wise that would cause the JE to use it in lieu of a Sculptor device. When the JE reaches L8 Shields, and the Mordana drops are in, the Veiled Oyoroi gives buffs to reactor cap/recharge, as well as prospect, and Scan (though the Scan buff is less than the GE's).

We definitely need new beams, but given Manes I can think of one that already fits this description. The Ghost's Edge gives buffs that are useful to mining in Reactor Recharge & Scan, so and Cloak to help avoid being seen. The beam, however, is useless against the Manes that guard many orefields. I'd favor a Plasma beam with average stats, and a Fast Tractor beam buff instead. Fast tractor beam is quite useful in mining and Plasma for when that Manes has aggroed, and you are willing ot fight back instead of always running. When levelling up, a Prospect buff on a beam is fine too, provided, it has something else buff wise that would cause the JE to use it in lieu of a Sculptor device. When the JE reaches L8 Shields, and the Mordana drops are in, the Veiled Oyoroi gives buffs to reactor cap/recharge, as well as prospect, and Scan (though the Scan buff is less than the GE's).

I'm looking more at the JE getting things that make us even worse at combat in order to give us more to non-combat abilities. I'd be flying around looking like "Smiling Bob" with his "sack full of confidence" if I was flying around with zero combat ability but jaw dropping other stats! :)

I'm looking more at the JE getting things that make us even worse at combat in order to give us more to non-combat abilities. I'd be flying around looking like "Smiling Bob" with his "sack full of confidence" if I was flying around with zero combat ability but jaw dropping other stats! :)

Why would we need to be even worse at combat than we already are? If anything we need to be marginally better than we already are. Or are you being sarcastic?

I do think we need more non-combat abilities, but then again, that's what our 6 device slots are for. Give us more things to put in those. Now I do agree with things that make our support skills better, like something that buffs E-shield cast on fellow players, (L3 increases all deflects by 10, L5 of E-shield deflects some damage back at opponents, and still higher levels convert some energy into reactor power), or better scan buffs (since L7 scan shares scan with groupmates), or even a buff to JS (range boost, or less time to activate). There is even an item on Slayerman's database that reduces XP debt as a buff. Or even more items that reduce our sig, or our ability to buff other players.

I actually like your ideas Xulei, the problem is that I get the *impression* from what I have read about the future of this project that Mob AI is getting a significant boost, so sitting waiting in cloak for a Mob to move away.... I am beginning to think the Devs will put an end to that. In a group of 5 to 10 Mobs at a belt it would only take one to uncloak you and then warp speed scotty time. You can't get any mining done if you are either waiting for Mobs to leave, or warping away to excape them because you are strong enough to survive a fight.

No, I fear (yes I said it) that the Devs will make the Mobs smart enough that the only Miners we will see in belts are Progens (I think even the TS's will have a hard time to be honest). I do not think Jenquai are going to do very well at all. I have seen Dev Teams "improve" combat in other MMOs, and it almost always ending up favoring the combat specialized classes/professions, and diminishing gameplay opportunities for classes similar to JE in philosophy and gameplay.

TS could use mining love as well, gear wise. There's stuff exclusive to sentinels and explorers, just no TS love. But i agree more gear to help out the JE would be nice

Agreed, Scout, Seeker and Privateer all need love in the equipment realm, since there wasn't any equipment in live designed specifically for them. Some items were in game that they would find useful, like the line of Explorer only Explosive debuffers for Scout (JE and PE can also use but have less use for), since they actually use explosive, as well as the Manticore Energy debuffers for the JT since they actually use Energy beams(TT & PT can use, but have less use for since they usually don't use beams).

Why would we need to be even worse at combat than we already are? If anything we need to be marginally better than we already are. Or are you being sarcastic?

I do think we need more non-combat abilities, but then again, that's what our 6 device slots are for. Give us more things to put in those. Now I do agree with things that make our support skills better, like something that buffs E-shield cast on fellow players, (L3 increases all deflects by 10, L5 of E-shield deflects some damage back at opponents, and still higher levels convert some energy into reactor power), or better scan buffs (since L7 scan shares scan with groupmates), or even a buff to JS (range boost, or less time to activate). There is even an item on Slayerman's database that reduces XP debt as a buff. Or even more items that reduce our sig, or our ability to buff other players.

nope, not being sarcastic at all - I would love nothing more than three new beams with stackable buffs that decrease any aggro (so you would need to have all three equiped to make much use). Or some way to give us a more advanced cloak that will mirror closest mob (no aggro). Something along these lines that make us unable to do dmg and also unlikely to take it (higher lvl mobs would not get fooled).

I'd rather just have a zero sig engine, and a strong sig reduction buff. (In Live with an SS8 and a Loony's Special Gizmoblatsit, I had a sig of 0.1) That would make it harder for mobs to see us in the first place, and allow us to avoid combat. Same with our cloak, when it's working properly. I wouldn't mind having a buff to cloak that reduced energy consumption while cloaked.

I actually like your ideas Xulei, the problem is that I get the *impression* from what I have read about the future of this project that Mob AI is getting a significant boost, so sitting waiting in cloak for a Mob to move away.... I am beginning to think the Devs will put an end to that. In a group of 5 to 10 Mobs at a belt it would only take one to uncloak you and then warp speed scotty time. You can't get any mining done if you are either waiting for Mobs to leave, or warping away to excape them because you are strong enough to survive a fight.

No, I fear (yes I said it) that the Devs will make the Mobs smart enough that the only Miners we will see in belts are Progens (I think even the TS's will have a hard time to be honest). I do not think Jenquai are going to do very well at all. I have seen Dev Teams "improve" combat in other MMOs, and it almost always ending up favoring the combat specialized classes/professions, and diminishing gameplay opportunities for classes similar to JE in philosophy and gameplay.

I agree. That's one of the main reasons i looked at STO and said NO THANKS! No Mining! No Builidng! No real player economy! not even sure how they can justify the name MMO

As it is right now, abilities don't pull aggro.

Using A JT and healing my ass off, I didn't pull aggro off of people doing more damage than me. So the aggro thing, not needed.

However, JE specific buffs could be benificial. Just help me figure out what they are, other than group debuffs....*scratches head**

can someone tell me what the JE group buffs are?

I am not trying to be an ass or anything, but honestly what does a JE offer a group other than damage resist buffs? Other classes can cover these, so what now is a JE nitche?

Not dis'ing the class, but umn.....maybe the devs need to start looking at this stuff to make a JE more lucrative to combat groups.

However, JE specific buffs could be benificial. Just help me figure out what they are, other than group debuffs....*scratches head**

can someone tell me what the JE group buffs are?

I am not trying to be an ass or anything, but honestly what does a JE offer a group other than damage resist buffs? Other classes can cover these, so what now is a JE nitche?

JEs have lots of roles:

- Instant Reactor Recharger (a Battery if you must).

- Damage/Enviromental Resistance Buff.

- Removing a chunk of a mob's shield.

- Jumpstart.

- Cloaking an entire group (once the code correctly works).

- Crowd Control (compulsory contemplation is similar to a Mage's Sheep in WoW).

- Pushing a Mob away incase it gets to close to the group(when the Fold Space issue is fixed).

- Mining for Explore XP, while your combat buddies protect you.

- Scouting for a party with their increased Sensor Scan and Navigate boosts.

- Using Beams so you can act like additional storage for your combat buddies ammo supplies, while you guys fight mobs.

- Participate in DPS of a group (at range) with projectiles. There is a very nice level 8 Projectile for Jenquai which is sold at Jove's Fury.

- Wormhole, to move you and your party across the galaxy (WHs are going to get a face lift at some point for a few new spots).

- Etc.

The JEs have a lot of roles they can perform. The overall niche is that of a Reactor Battery that is also a taxi, just like in Live.

On a side note: You guys jump to conclusions to fast. Mining will get a face lift as well, down the road. Right now though, we have other more "pressing" goals to work on.

- Marco

JEs have lots of roles:

- Instant Reactor Recharger (a Battery if you must).

- Damage/Enviromental Resistance Buff.

- Removing a chunk of a mob's shield.

- Jumpstart.

- Cloaking an entire group (once the code correctly works).

- Crowd Control (compulsory contemplation is similar to a Mage's Sheep in WoW).

- Pushing a Mob away incase it gets to close to the group(when the Fold Space issue is fixed).

- Mining for Explore XP, while your combat buddies protect you.

- Scouting for a party with their increased Sensor Scan and Navigate boosts.

- Using Beams so you can act like additional storage for your combat buddies ammo supplies, while you guys fight mobs.

- Participate in DPS of a group (at range) with projectiles. There is a very nice level 8 Projectile for Jenquai which is sold at Jove's Fury.

- Wormhole, to move you and your party across the galaxy (WHs are going to get a face lift at some point for a few new spots).

- Etc.

The JEs have a lot of roles they can perform. The overall niche is that of a Reactor Battery that is also a taxi, just like in Live.

On a side note: You guys jump to conclusions to fast. Mining will get a face lift as well, down the road. Right now though, we have other more "pressing" goals to work on.

- Marco

Thanks Marco...some of that stuff I forgot about since it's still in the works :lol: i really wasn't trying to put the class down, just couldn't think of anything, hehe.