Graphics update: looking to help...

Trekker

Abandonment does not apply to the game client, they could leave it for 20 years and it will still be theirs because it will qualify under copyright as a work for hire for I believe it's 75 or 85 years.

Oh yeah, sure, I didn't say "abandon-ware" because EnB is certainly not. I said abandoned franchise, meaning that they are not heading for an EnB2 or even running EnB. They still own rights to that, but this emu is not cutting into their bottom-line of a game or game franchise. Like someone mentioned creating an EnB2 a couple weeks ago, but EA/WW owns the franchise rights even though they abandoned ever continuing on with it from a development standpoint. See, even when a Star Wars MUD code-base was created (SWmud), the main concern was about cutting into the franchise, but LA is good with that as long as it is non-profit. However, graphical games undergo far more scrutiny when it comes to usage rights, because if it were a graphical MUD (mmorpg) it could cut into the bottom-line of their existing SW mmorpg's. EMU usage is a whole other beast than what I'm used to dealing with, I've only been/am envolved with original projects on the indie level (mmog's), and in that area of development, intellectual rights are taken very seriously for obvious reasons.

Problem with doing something that's so stylized (and I personally don't like the cartoony feel of WOW) is that you need an artist with that type of style. My personal style is very technical and photo-real, and given enough time, I could model/light/texture every icon to not have a CG feel, and to look absolutely realistic, which I personally think would be way awesome. On the other hand, I'd be content redoing planets, skyboxes, suns, and station interiors. I may do an example of a re-textured system, maybe Saturn (which is probably the most visited system in game). And try to get some feedback on that :rolleyes:

Everyone's got their own personal taste though, and it's impossible to appeal to everyone unfortunately.

Problem with doing something that's so stylized (and I personally don't like the cartoony feel of WOW)

Actually the environment isn't bad, just the character art is pretty poor imo.

is that you need an artist with that type of style. My personal style is very technical and photo-real, and given enough time, I could model/light/texture every icon to not have a CG feel, and to look absolutely realistic, which I personally think would be way awesome.

That's what color swatches and custom filters are for. You can take photo realism and make it cartoon style, all uniform to the environment as a whole. Then the rest is dependent on shaders, all the post processing techniques most often applied to real-time rendering engines. Style is personal preference, but does not impede upon technique usage to achieve desired effects. The problem with having only photo realistic icons is that it throws of the uniformity of what is being rendered by the game as a whole. At least IMO, all graphics should have uniformity. The only difference is at camera level that the player is up-close and personal that quality should be a bit higher compared to things that are at distance. So like ceilings or skyboxes are less important than character models or walls. But in all cases, they should be uniform in color ranges and any post processing techniques applied. Usually develoment documents cover the required tecniques involved so to achieve uniformity.

FYI to the folks who don't have a legal background, adding to the client itself does not get us in any gray area or legal trouble. Adding it and distributing it as ours DOES. We would NEVER be able to change it enough that we could re-patent it (doubt it's patented in the first place, software patents are notoriously difficult to come by, as that which is to be patented has to be a novel idea and something that's not common. In other words, you can't patent a function to do simple addition, no matter how complex you made it look, because in the end its still simple addition)

It's the same reason EA couldn't place a copyright on "Net 7" but they could on "Net 7 News". It's much more distinct and was a concept from the game. I hope that grants an idea.

So, with the legal junk out of the way, yes we can add to it, that's a non-issue. We just can't alter the client and provide it in a different form then say its ours. The days of Atari and Tengen put that to an end. :)

i just wonder what ea want to do lol the cant stop the dev from the emu the cant legal forbidden the edit of the client.

the gfx look nice and from my side i dont really think ea will anything do

btw kyp you have say on nice thing

So, with the legal junk out of the way, yes we can add to it, that's a non-issue. We just can't alter the client and provide it in a different form then say its ours.

right so long we dont remove the (cr)ea the cant do legal anything or im wrong?

The graphics in Earth and Beyond is a very big part of the game, and making it the way we all remember.

Changing big things like this suggestion, is not a vice thing to do.

The game will lose its "feel" and charme, not all changes is a good thing...

The graphics in Earth and Beyond is a very big part of the game, and making it the way we all remember.

Changing big things like this suggestion, is not a vice thing to do.

The game will lose its "feel" and charme, not all changes is a good thing...

sign

I rememember sooo much lag during troller raids where server pug groups were competiting with (notice I didnt say trying to ks) our guild that I would crank the graphics down so low it was like black and white vector images...

i just wonder what ea want to do lol the cant stop the dev from the emu the cant legal forbidden the edit of the client.

the gfx look nice and from my side i dont really think ea will anything do

btw kyp you have say on nice thing

right so long we dont remove the (cr)ea the cant do legal anything or im wrong?

Er thanks, I think. The client is the sole property of EA, as long as we don't modify the client prior to releasing it to everyone, attempt to charge a subscription fee for playing, or sell the client as ours, we shouldn't be crossing any legal lines.

They can always attempt legal action, even without a really good reason but it is unlikely unless they feel we're cutting into profits they could have.

So... If I understand the gist of the info presented...

If an enterprising person made & freely distributed one mod or another that, say, reskinned items within the client, then that would be no issue, yes? Some folks have touched on this matter, yet I saw no clear and direct answer.

The reason I focus on this is the astounding number of mods I have found for Fallout 3. But in that case, there seems to be some support from the IP owners, as it keeps people interested in the game. Of course, EA has nothing to gain in this case. Benign neglect is the best outcome, I think.

And if the question was previously answered, you have my apologies.

I modified the TE Ship up to a Higher poly count and produced higher res maps for it a few years back.

Looked well and detailed.

Not sure the client could display it due to the poly count but ill dig it out and post it.

Trekker, did you model them in 3d or are they photoshop drawn ?

Also, wasnt there an issue with adding/modding MIX files ? I thought it crashed the client ?

These items were modeled, textured, and rendered from a 3D program, and then adjusted in Photoshop (I'm not really a 2D artist, 3D is far easier for me to do).

I'd love to see that rendering of the TE ship.

Floss is right, it's entirely possible to keep the look and feel of the game, but give it a little face lift. Next time you're sitting in the main room of F7, look down at the floor and take a look at how jagged the texture is. That can be fixed and still maintain the game's look and feel.

The icons I did earlier were only a suggestion to help the look a little bit. But if you don't redo the icons, you'll have to find someone who can replicate the original look of them if you ever want to add new items to the game and not use repeat icons. Using filters to adjust the look and feel of the rendered icons is entirely possible, but again, no matter what you do, you can't please everyone (even leaving the game as is won't please everyone).

I think you guys are complaining too much. Trekker is doing a great job!

If you don't like it, then don't install it.

Well, maybe because this is game is diferrent...

There is a lot of MMORPG games with 'awesome graphic' but unplayable.

When EA force down emulator because unaproved Client modification, it will be too late...

I'm all for it.

So if it's possible to modify local mix files without tempering client I would go for it.

In that case people can decide on their own if they apply the new gfx or not.

I know I would !

Well, maybe because this is game is diferrent...

There is a lot of MMORPG games with 'awesome graphic' but unplayable.

When EA force down emulator because unaproved Client modification, it will be too late...

It's clearly been said this would have no impact on the legality of the project.

You could probably have this just work like a mod pack. If you're ever played any sort of PC FPS, there are ways to install things client side that reskin the graphics, but only are your side.

I don't understand how nice graphics and getting rid of the jaggies would make the game unplayable.

• Upvote 1

>It's clearly been said this would have no impact on the legality of the project.

Who said this? EA?

>You could probably have this just work like a mod pack. If you're ever played any sort of PC FPS, there are

>ways to install things client side that reskin the graphics, but only are your side.

Did you read EULA and licence agrement for at least one game?

>I don't understand how nice graphics and getting rid of the jaggies would make the game unplayable.

Hard to explain but yes it can. I like original not unnaturaly enhanced copy. I prefer playability and fun

factor over #of polygons and so.

All, I trying to say is EA CAN shut this down if they WANT. Way to modifying is irelevant.

Hope all is cler now.

>It's clearly been said this would have no impact on the legality of the project.

Who said this? EA?

>You could probably have this just work like a mod pack. If you're ever played any sort of PC FPS, there are

>ways to install things client side that reskin the graphics, but only are your side.

Did you read EULA and licence agrement for at least one game?

>I don't understand how nice graphics and getting rid of the jaggies would make the game unplayable.

Hard to explain but yes it can. I like original not unnaturaly enhanced copy. I prefer playability and fun

factor over #of polygons and so.

All, I trying to say is EA CAN shut this down if they WANT. Way to modifying is irelevant.

Hope all is cler now.

You need to go back and read the whole thread.

if there was a mod or user only side patch to change grafix/icons, i would use it.

im a new player and dont know/remember "live", but i do know i love the game and will continue to play as long as its available. a patch/mod would make the players who want the original look/feel happy by not installing it.and those who would like a newer look could.

i think useing the same icons for many different things a bit confusing,and each item could look unique.

as alot of ppl say,thank you all for the hard work by just makeing the emu run. im just happy to have found enb as it is and will enjoy it whatever happens

just my 2 creds :P

• 2 years later...
Thought of posting a topic about possible new graphics, but then I found this thread, so please consider this a bump for the concept of creating a client-side graphics mod project? I bet we could get more people to hop in and play if the graphics had modernized textures. I propose the project should start with ship models and backgrounds, then station exteriors and mobs / roids / objects, then station interiors and UI.

I would offer to help with the graphics, but all I have to work with is Fireworks and I'd need guidance on the look of the textures ('cause I suck at visual design. Good with technology, not so good with emotional judgements). I'll give it a go because I care, however, planning and project managing is much more into my strengths, so I'd be happy to throw in there.