Jenquai Seeker Skill Set

Reon

I was looking over the server numbers again this evening and noticed I was the only one playing a JS...and I also noticed the JS is still taking up the least logged in/played spot for the server.

I know some people say new content (in the form of seeker only gear) will fix this, I myself am not so sure. I have been asking around to various players to find the reasons JS's are not played or first pick on raids. The consensus seems to be the lvl 8 shields (and the resulting frequent deaths), no hull patch, and that there are better suited healer classes.

That in mind, when a person pulls up the original posters from Westwood for the seeker, we see they were intended to have Psionic Shield. Perhaps the devs never intended it to be the same skill as the JD has. What if they intended for a different version of Psi shield that stacked with JD's abilities?

My proposal is a short duration massive group ward. The ward could be instant cast time with a 5+ second recast after the ward falls and a very short duration of a few seconds to make this a skill to deal with spike damage (so maybe 12 sec recast and 3 sec duration?). This would not only solve the problem of the squishy lvl 8 shields but would give them a added bonus to groups. The ability to keep players alive while a heal is casting is a very usefull ability, and shouldn't make them overpowered.

Seekers do not need to put JE's, JD's, or TT's out of business, but a reason to include a JS and a TS into a group rather than a single TT would be nice. I believe a short duration, fast cast psionic group ward would give them what they are missing without overpowering or changing the class beyond its design.

The JT did have Psionic Shield back in ST3, at the end of it they removed the skill in favor of Build Reactors.  I agree that the JT needs something to bring her up to speed.  I think that a new device effect called Dispel would help on a JT only line of devices.  The purpose of such a line of devices, is the removal of debuffs from players. I'd give it a cool down period comparable to our current debuff devices.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, some kind of "leech" skill for the JS like their other two brethren Jenpie classes. I know some people have mentioned this already, but a longer duration on the Reactor Optimization skill would be nice.

Or the Reactor Optimization could become the JT's L135 skill, and another L7 skill to replace Reactor Optimization.  Kenu first mentioned that as a possibility but I can't seem to find the thread where he did.

Edit: Found it.

If Reactor Opt was the L135 skill, then it should have the effect it currently has after the player has spent 21 skill points on it.

The question, that should be addressed here, is if we move RO to the L135 skill, what would be a great support skill to replace it with?

On the issue of JT improvement I think that it will take both some skill change & some new JT only buffs.

I'll put forth an idea.

"Hull Penetration" (Offensive and Defensive)

Defensive, add actual hull hit points to user and players. Not Damage control !

Offensive, Weaken NPC hulls by a percentage or set number, at higher levels make NPC more susceptible to chemical attacks.

Thinking of the ideas mentioned in this thread, I could see a way to work with the JT.  Some combination of the following:

Potential equipment for the JT (not necessarily all of the equipment)

Based on Reon's idea:

L3-L9 device with a damage ward (activated).  At L9 with 200% quality, the device would reduce incoming damage by 10% for 10 seconds with a cool down comparable to the Martyr's Heart.  Energy use would be a little higher than a debuffer of the same level.  As the device quality or level is lower, the degree and duration of the buff is shortened.  Device would pull minimal to moderate agro.

Device would have a 2nd buff at L5, Device Damage Control (equip), and at L9 Device Energy Conservation.  The debuff at L5, L6, and L9 would be increase mass 10%.

Based on Phorlaug's idea (though I think I've seen others with this idea as well):

L3-L9 device Hull Regeneration.  The device would slowly repair hit points to the hull of a single target.  No group restriction.  The amount of hull restored per second and the duration of the buff would increase as device level & quality increases.  Not sure how long the L9 one should last.  Cool down would be about 5 seconds longer than existing debuffers.  Device would not pull as much agro as a cast of Hull Patch, but wouldn't be as effective.

Device would have 2nd buff at L5, Reduce Signature, and at L9 Improved Reactor Optimization (duration increased)

Debuff at L5, L6, and L9, Beam Friction (10% more energy consumption for beams)

My Dispel Idea as a L3-L9 line of devices:

Dispel device would remove debuffs on a single target, would have a cool down & energy use comparable to existing debuffers of the same level.  Debuff for L5, L6, and L9 would be weapon damage magnification (10%).  2nd buff would be Improved Scan, 3rd buff Increase Reactor Cap.  There would be a failure chance on debuff removal, but the chance would lower as the device level or quality increases. Device would pull moderate agro.

L3-L9 device buff Skill Efficiency.  Would do ONE of the following, Increase skill range, increase skill chance to hit, or decrease energy use by skills.  Cool down, energy use, and duration would be comparable to an "animal skin" device of the same level & quality.  (animal skin devices being those explorer only devices that give activated deflect buffs) Device would pull very little agro.

Range on all of these devices would be comparable to a Coma device of the same level.  All of these devices would be manufacturable, tradeable, and unique.

All potential devices have activated primary buffs.

Possible skills: (one of the following)

Confuse:  L1 skill Makes skill use by enemies less efficient.  Increased likelihood that skill will fail to hit or be interrupted.  (could be redone a L7 skill while Reactor Opt becomes L1) Pulls agro comparable to a debuffer.

Distract: L1 skill, makes enemy weapon use less effective (less damage or less accurate, but not both).  Decreases damage or accuracy of enemy weapons.  (Can also be a L7 skill, where reactor optimization becomes L1.) Pulls agro comparable to a debuffer.

Salvage L1 skill.  5% chance that mob will drop 1 more piece of equipment, if JT is in group credited with kill.  10% chance of 1 additional junk item, if JT is in group that is credited with the kill.  One or the other can occur with a kill, but not both.  (percentage chance may need to be lower)  Passive skill, pulls no agro.

These things could also be divided between the JT and the Scout.

I see were we're going, instead of another skill set the Seekers devices are their new skills.

The same could be done for the other new classes, if it is easier.

But, I'm thinking that a new skill would be easier than implementing a bunch of new devices.

I could be wrong. ??

I was thinking in terms of devices, as that's one of the ways that the JE helps, with various JE Only devices.  The reactor transfer devices come to mind first.  One of the HtM rewards, that was purchasable through passes was the power augmenter devices, JE Only, that increased reactor cap.

The problem, w/r/t skills, is that there is a limit to what can be done.  Unless the JT is going to be allowed to have more than the 17 skills the other classes have (counting the Techs as skills) plus 1 L135 skill, she can't add another L7 skill without losing a skill.  The JT currently has 17 skills and is only short her L135 skill.  The PT is the only class that's a L7 skill short (the Scout has his 17 skills too, and is only missing a L135 skill).  Hence the idea of JT only devices with new buffs to make her more valuable.

I like RO as a 135 skill and come up with a new skill to add to the JS.

Some sort of offensive skill, similar to a leech type skill. Maybe something like Reactor Overload, causes target's reactor to go critical and cause radiation damage to the hull based on energy used during effect duration. Sort of like a gravity shear but not movement based.

or, Idea #2.. a skill that gives the target a localized low grade gravity shear. And just to keep it from being a kiter's dream, just make it a hull damage over time based on skill level and target's hull capacity (ie: level 1 skill does 1% hull damage per second for 5 seconds, level 2 does 2% hull damage per second for 5 seconds, etc). Actual numbers subject to balancing, of course.

Edited by Yuritau

I do think that the JT should have some offensive skills (and debuffs) but anything w/r/t hull damage would be useful in more situations if it were defensive in nature (would also fit the PT more than the JT).  An offensive skill that targets enemies hulls would only work against mechanical opponents like the Controller, in the Fishbowl it would be useless.

I am still unsure why it is such a bad idea for the JS to have the skill they were meant to have. A psionic group ward solves the 2 main problems  with the class, survivability and a reason to bring them on a raid (instead of another TT). Make it their 135 skill or drop the scan skill or something. The JS doesn't need anymore offense than the TT has...just make it more usefull. I still think "Dispell" sounds like a scout skill...don't get me wrong, I would take it for the JS, but it just seems like the JS could really be better at what it was intended to do...which is keep people alive via shield recharge and a type of psionic shield.

I have spent the last decade and a half playing and beta testing MMO's and hard core raiding 7 nights a week in EQ2 and other MMO's, and I can tell you, all of that game time has left me with the impression that WW had a great idea by giving the JS a version of a ward, it would be a sweet ability to set it apart from the other healers without overpowering them or making others useless.

I guess I am still the only person barking up this tree.

The Psi Shield that the JT had up to the end of ST3 was no different than the JW's skill.  I do think that a ward for the JT that makes her, her & the group, or who she targets is fine, especially if it stacks with Psi Shield from the JW.  Before they would not have stacked, since they were the same skill.  I strongly doubt that the developers will remove Scan from any Jenquai class, since all Jenquai get scan on the basis of their explorer racial traits.  I think giving it as a device effect would be better in that it doesn't cost the JT a skill to be able to do this.  If it's a replacement for Reactor Optimization, where Reactor Opt becomes the JT's L135 skill, I'm okay with that, but I think it's better if they get something else there.  (it would effectively give the JT 2 more things to do, counting the ward, single or group with an unknown improvement to the class.)

I thought Dispel worked as a JT device effect because it's a type of heal, remove debuffs from affected players.  With Hacking taking your skills offline, Dispel would put them back online as soon as the JT used it on you.  It would be unique to the JT so no other class can bring the effect.  It's not something that stops Mobs from casting skills, that would be Disable (Silence in D&D type games), which I agree fits the Scout better; however, I think that the JW will ultimately will get Disable as their 135 skill.

An offensive skill that targets enemies hulls would only work against mechanical opponents like the Controller, in the Fishbowl it would be useless.

I am aware of that limitation and I don't feel that it's important for a skill to be useful in every possible situation. Just like damage types, each has their place, and it's up to the players to determine which fits each situation more appropriately.

I am aware of that limitation and I don't feel that it's important for a skill to be useful in every possible situation. Just like damage types, each has their place, and it's up to the players to determine which fits each situation more appropriately.

If it were a device effect, where she had to bring one set for say the Controller or Mordana, but a different one for the Fishbowl or the Tada-O gate, I'd understand.  But what's the point of adding a skill to the JT that only helps her go to one type of raid, but not others?  Doesn't make her any more likely to be able to get the non-tradeable loot from those raids where said skill doesn't help.

I bet if there was a complete line of items for the new races there would be a fervor for playing the new classes.

Matching name prefix of items that complement each other.

New items.

Edited by Phorlaug

I bet if there was a complete line of items for the new races there would be a fervor for playing the new classes.

Matching name prefix of items that complement each other.

New items.

Interesting, I agree with the concept.  Would like more description on what those items do, and who gets to use them.  I do think that for the support classes, each bringing things that are unique & helpful for any group content, is a good thing.  So I do think that like the JE & TT, the JT, Scout, and PT should have some unique buffs to bring.  Also the PT is still missing a L7 skill, don't know what they should get for that, but definitely something that's nice & PT only.

I do think that over time alternate equipment does increase interest in raids, and the equipment in most cases shouldn't be spectacular.  Common buffs, for the character in question (race, profession, class),  that allows different equipment combinations, to set up a character to do what you want. I'm thinking of players with mediocre to good equipment, but not awesome equipment, have more than one way to set up their character effectively.  I love the Good Earth Trading Company's Jaguar line for this.  A few awesome things, but mostly things that are merely "desirable" or "good".  Things like the GoD or DG would qualify as awesome, while the Jaguar line would be "good" or "desirable".  Except for the awesome things, I could also agree with them dropping, albeit rarely, outside of the raids.

It looks like the Quasar line of devices by Nishido was the start for something like that.

Quasar III MRB 7
Discover the future! Sundari. When equipped it gives a reduction to the amount of damage your ship's hull might take

and gives an increase to your psionic resistance.

When activated on a targeted group member, this item gives target an increased energy regeneration.

Recharge Reactor - BOOST! (Activated) +30.00% Reactor Recharge for 1600.00 seconds when activated.
Hull Damage Control (Equip) Increases your hulls effectiveness at sustaining damage by 45% when equipped.

Jenquai Only

Trader Only

The description is missing for the psionic resistance..?

I made one of these for my JS but I can't equip it yet as my JS is my least played char and only level 23.

Curious to see if it does give psionic resistance and how much.

So this would make you a more effective reactor support for raids as your hull is stronger and you have less chance of getting hacked (if psionic resistance works.)

All 3 of the new classes could use some help and specialty devices could do it.

No it doesn't actually raise the JT's psionic resistance.  I don't know if it's an error in the device's description, or in the device's buffs, but good catch, Stevinium.

The description is in my original Excel file:

Resist Psionic (Equip)  +30.0 Psionic Resist when equipped

L4=+20

L5=+23

L6=+26

L7=+30

I got a message in to see if we can get it added/fixed or remove the typo.
But they may of decided not to add the buff.
(Be careful what you ask for) :)

Edited by Phorlaug