Automatic Towing

I am suggesting an automatic towing timer in order to discourage spawn campers who make a new toon purely to park it at a spawn point , and let it get 'killed'. So that they can watch spawn point with no effort. And yes i know you can park a good JE cloaked for hours or a PS forever , but incapacitated just lacks imagination.

<<< Waits for the 'flame wars' to begin :)

Probably a stupid suggestion , but i am entitled to my thoughts :)

• Upvote 2

What would the timer be set to?

In EA live there was a time it took our entire guild a good amount of time to "rescue" fallen warriors.  In Ardus? our whole guild was dead trying to rescue a fallen few.  Great fun, but what a pisser if we spent all that time, effort and loss of fun and racking up massive dp only to have an auto recall spoil that fun. 

This is only a suggestion and is of course open to debate , but what about 40 minutes ? . And timer continues to count down even if you log at say 39 minutes to avoid towing .

Also increase the spawn area for the mob, make it over a few navs so when the mob does spawn it's not exactly in the same spot, but in the same general area. Or add cloak, hence the see cloak buff. Make us work to find the mob, because if we are incapacitated no buffs or skills should work

There was a suggestion in the forums on the lines of no movement of an avatar for a time, the avatar was disconnected from the server, same principle as a dead avatar 

Or maybe even a disconnect timer for toons that are left for extended periods of time, say an hour or so? Don't want to be ctd' then log off. I seem to see some toons afk for days some times.

I do like the auto tow suggestion too. :)

Also increase the spawn area for the mob, make it over a few navs so when the mob does spawn it's not exactly in the same spot, but in the same general area. Or add cloak, hence the see cloak buff. Make us work to find the mob, because if we are incapacitated no buffs or skills should work

There was a suggestion in the forums on the lines of no movement of an avatar for a time, the avatar was disconnected from the server, same principle as a dead avatar 

I'm not sure I understand this correctly do you mean mobs that see cloaked, or mobs that cloak?  Mobs that can cloak would be cool, since you'd have greater need for characters with Scan 5.  Not a fan of the opposite when we're talking about mobs that aren't in raids.

IIRC in EnB Origins the Mabonae & Ostarae in VG had combat cloak.

The comment is in relation to the mobs, they go into cloak, that makes the 'see cloak' buff viable as it's not being used now that I know of, nothing seems to be in cloak that a player needs 'see cloak' to find them

The comment is in relation to the mobs, they go into cloak, that makes the 'see cloak' buff viable as it's not being used now that I know of, nothing seems to be in cloak that a player needs 'see cloak' to find them

Cool, that would be a nice addition.  The Explorer, Scout, Defender, Sentinel, and Seeker wouldn't need see cloaked buffs, as they are all able to see cloaked via their Scan skill L3+.  Would be an advantage to those classes, since they don't have to use an equipment slot for the buff.

I am suggesting an automatic towing timer in order to discourage spawn campers who make a new toon purely to park it at a spawn point , and let it get 'killed'. So that they can watch spawn point with no effort. And yes i know you can park a good JE cloaked for hours or a PS forever , but incapacitated just lacks imagination.

<<< Waits for the 'flame wars' to begin :)

Probably a stupid suggestion , but i am entitled to my thoughts :)

How about 3-4 minutes, that would be fine by me.

1 problem would be raids, and how long they may take in relation to the incapped player. This timer would have to be in place for ALL toons throughout. I don't think the coders could seperate any type of toon without opening a can of worms per say. 

Expanding on the topic: If you're incapacitated, should all your systems be offline?

If you get incapped your ship's Scan range should be reduced to 0.1k - 1.0k until you are Jumpstarted. Let incapacitation have all its negatives. An incapacitated ship has no scanner capability if none of its systems are online, eh?

From the hangar of NET-7 SOL, this is the Pakkrat.

Pakkrat makes a far more interesting point, instead of a fabricated system and timer to run, simply disable that which makes it advantageous. There's no reason you need to be able to scan anything that's not a nearby nav and chat as far as I see it. That would be super easy to implement on the incapacitated state and would solve the problem altogether, yet still allow you to communicate with rescuers and hopefully lead them to your position.

But what about genuine incapacitated players being able to see and warn rescuers of nearby mobs , would up to 1k be enough ? And if you make it more than 1 or 2k scan it would possible to see spawn points if your parked in the right spot . Unless we do go down the road of being incapacitated being a major discomfort and a jump-start a dangerous operation in which the player doing the jump-start has to asses the situation when he gets there .  So Scan Blinding the incapacitated might be an option ? 

Making incapacitation really suck for the victim pilot would make a successful Jumpstart all the more valuable, yes? Next is the question of what actually happens to a pilot of an incapacitated ship? Did the original creators mean for downed pilots to suddenly be impervious nodes of forward-field intel? Or are they, like EVE-Online, shoved in a gel-filled egg on suspended animation life support as the Earth & Beyond Emulator says, "All systems offline - Emergency Life Support initiated."

Realistic versus Easy Button. Challenging Search And Rescue versus "Dude, come save me. I'm right at x,y,z."

I do have an Evil Streak when it comes to issues like this, so I may be a little biased when I see the game is vastly skewed in the favor of the pilot with a 45-toon fleet at their disposal and a multibox setup to die for.

From the Situation Room at NET-7 SOL, this is the Pakkrat.

Alignment: Malignant Evil (GM) Lawful Neutral (player)

I believe disabling all skills while incapacitated is the way to go. The distress beacon leads players to their position. The only available skill a player should have is what they can see out their viewport or use the function keys to see around their ship, but the player cannot access any on-board systems, they are broken. 

As a JSer I always check the surrounds before getting in close for a JS, including waiting in cloak or powerdown till the mob is far enough away to start the JS process, if the player fails to freewarp away nor not have a nav set to warp to after being jumpstarted, then it gets to be fun

Forced tow = Repair credit removal on docking. We remove credits from the player when the player maybe wanted to wait for his friend JE to jumpstart him...so forcing a tow could be an action taking influence of something (purse) we shouldnt....so Pakkrats suggestions most logic: A dead toon should be dead so camping incapped has no benefits at all anymore.

Which ever way stops incapped 'spawn watching' is fine by me , its why i started the thread :) But i still believe a long timer before 'Automatic tow' is best as it gives time for a genuine player to get help and inconveniences a 'spawn watcher' . 

There will always be camping as long as spawn points are static. You don't need to die to gather intel when cloaking works so much better IMO.

Blinding all incapped players just to discourage using a new toon to camp is heavy-handed. I'm sure more players get incapped while exploring then those campers your trying to punish.

Forced tow is another bad idea. I'm sure most players would rather wait for a JS from a guildee or other kind player. Some new players may not have the funds for repair just bad judgement when wandering into dangerous areas.

Blinding incapped toons will also prevent them from giving info to anyone rushing to their aid. Anytime I'm going to JS someone I always ask if they're clear. If they not it's wise to ask for help from others to take the heat off the incapped and JS'er.

What's next? Do we start dropping toons left afk in stations?

You do remember this is a game and is supposed to be fun.

leave it as it is,add the forced tow with a timer.

with a reset option for the player.

must be there to click it or else he gets towed.have it cycle that way while incapped at whatever interval seems fair.

just my thoughts on it.

With 45 toons at any one player's disposal all the major, desired spawn sites (and even dynamic spawn territories), raid trigger-mobs, as well as a single toon in every sector, with plenty of toons left over as 'mains' and 'vaults', can be camped in some form. Using function camera keys to see around your vessel is wide-angle enough to see the nearby aggressor mobs and warn incoming Jumpstart (or of course Jumpstart yourself providing enough power remains in the reactor). Having your ship incapacitated currently does not dispel activated buffs, yet the buffed (and de-buffed/hacked) systems remain so until their timers run out.

Scan blind the incapacitated ships to 0.1k -1.0k, then if you like add buffs from activated, (but not Equipped or skills). The pilot and their systems are out for the count. The only skill that should work for an incapacitated ship is Jumpstart.

If you want to increase the area that a target mob spawns, fine and dandy. I'm all for it. I'm also all for roaming asteroid and hulk fields or mobs that journey across sectors like Old Nick or Modi's Child.

Like Prre, I'd like to see pilots work a lil harder with their 45 toons and multibox setup for that mob and its uber-rare drop.

Is this, as Savic puts it, "drop blocking?"

From the Situation Room at NET-7 SOL, this is the Pakkrat. Edited by Pakkrat