Sparkling Asteroids

Often while mining, I will see asteroids give off a sparkling / glowing animation.  I heard someone mention in-game that they type of sparkle is an indication of how long it has been since the field was fully cleared, and therefore an indication of the bonus XP you will get for clearing the field.  I wanted to know 1) is that true, and 2) if so, does anyone know what the various types of animations stand for.  I think I have seen at least 5 types: green circular large explosion, yellow-orange sparkles, and red-purple small explosion, small blue inward moving sparkles, bright white flashing asteroid.

To add to the mystique of the graphics, a pilot can often hear sounds come from the asteroids as well.  Dirt asteroids grinding together, creature vocalizations.

Let's not forget the off coloration that may indicate that the target is inhabited by a pop-rock mob or may be a pop-rock alone.

Then there's what I call Treasure 'Roids.  Those gems advertise an above average yield of ores, but threaten to be a pop-rock.  Yet once mining begins, the asteroid yields exactly what was advertised.  Quite the treasure.

How about them pop-hulks and volatile gas clouds that explode too?  Been there, done that.  Have the hull dings to prove it.

Lastly, is the super-rare Anicent Artifact or 'aa' device that is found so seldom these days.

Yes, there is quite the adventure in mining.  

Live from spinward Lagarto, this is the Pakkrat. 

Yes, the sparkles indicate how long has passed since the field has spawned without being touched.  I'm not sure which sparkles mean how long it's sat without being touched.  The longer the field has been around, the bigger the field clear bonus.

The off-color rocks, for their type & level, are pop-rocks.  The difference is that in E&B Emulator, there's a chance of successfully mining a pop-rock.  In E&B Origins pop-rocks always exploded.  Each time you try to mine a pop-rock, the server does a check on whether or not you will successfully mine the pop-rock.  Your prospect skill & the level of the rock affect your chances of mining the rock, so if you try for a pop-rock, grab what you want most, first.  It's possible to pass the first thing & fail the second, or subsequent items resulting in the rock exploding.  In the original game, only some types of resources would be potential pop-rocks in E&B Emulator, any type of resource can be a pop-rock.  (by rocks I intend to include any item that can be prospected)

Exploding rocks can do damage, and in some cases kill you from full shields.  Pop-rocks can also give you a buff, debuff, or have a mob come out.  Any pop-rock can have more than one of those effects.  Damage from pop-rocks is absolute damage, so deflects have no effect, but distance does lower the amount of damage done, for the damaging explosions.  Not all exploding rocks do damage to your ship.

One other thing, what looks like one field, may be more than one field, as far as the field clear bonus is concerned.

I don't think he is asking about pop rocks here.  Seems he is asking about the attention-getting animations that spin around an asteroid that is just a regular 'roid.

I have seen these also.  They do appear to indicate different lengths of time that the field has remained uncleared, but I have no idea which animation means what.  Field clearing bonuses do appear higher when you see lots of these though.  Just confirming basically what you said, but can't add much.  Sorry!  :mellow:

The animation you a talking about indicates that the field is for an explore terminal job...

Ummm no.  ^_^

The animations the original poster describes happen in any field.  Job 'roids have a loose, bold blue spiral emanating from the top of them, and the fields often form a circle.  It is the same animation that happens when the Seeker does a reactor optimization  ;)

Edited by Hobbs

The off-color rocks, for their type & level, are pop-rocks.  The difference is that in E&B Emulator, there's a chance of successfully mining a pop-rock.  In E&B Origins pop-rocks always exploded. 

And in the Original live I learned the Trix to mining the pop rocks, if you were quick enough you could click back on that roid and mine part of the roid before it went by by.

Someone (a dev I think) posted the order in which the different animations connected to field clear bonus occurs over time a when it was introduced. I can't find the post now, but it should turn up with a bit more digging. Red comes first (the lowest possible bonus) and gold comes last (highest bonus available) and green and blue are in between if I remember correctly. I don't remember the order of the green and the blue. The fifth I don't know about. I don't think it was mentioned back in the day.

Also, in job fields, all roids are marked permanently. The clear field bonus animations only play every once in a while, and only on one roid at a time. 

You can get some nice xp from this. I got 31,548 clear field bonus yesterday from a rarely mined field. It was a well-guarded field, and I could see why not many peeps want to mine it.

For me that is the type of fields I love to mine, it all in the challenge. That is one thing i like about a JE, your able to fold the mob away so your able to clear the field. I always mine the Pop rocks first in order to make sure that I do  get the bonus.

• 5 months later...