ATT everyone having gate/ctd issues - TSO settings

Heya!

Everyone having gating issues or CTD's on sector change etc, please try this (and report back plz if it solves your issues).

For problems landing on planets or stations:
Check if you have disabled the so called "landing camera" or docking camera for stations in the client's in-game options. If so, please turn it on again (for now).
(This has to do with some packet timings)
Tnx to "Duvel" for this tip!

For problems gating:

Close all instances of the game and N7-Launcher

Hit the Windows key + R, and type: devmgmt.msc
Hit Enter or Ok.

Expand the Network Adapters category. 
Double click on the network card listed.

Click the top most "CONFIGURE" button right to your network card name
Click the ADVANCED tab, and disable (set to 0 or off) these:

IPv4 checksum offload
TCP checksum offload IPv4
UDP checksum offload IPv4

Confirm all dialog boxes with "OK" and restart game, see if you still have problems.

!!Please check your Modem/Router for similar settings and adjust them the very same!!

Erm i have 2 'adapters' , first one is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controler and second is TP-LINK 300mbps mini-wireless N USB Adapter . So i am using the second as my my network adapter i assume (as its my wireless connecter) and this has no option on it or the router to adjust these the settings you point out . Any ideas please ? Also may point out this 'problem' has only appeared since last tuesdays patch , what was in the patch that caused such a widespread problem to so many players and their different machine setups . For example i cannot play it all on my laptop and only with a lot of frustration on my desktop , both are linked wirelessly to same router and are both fairly high end spec computers.

Ps In no way am i knocking the great work you guys do to bring me/us this awesome game :)

• Upvote 1

Pree, try to NOT use WiFi when gaming as it is fragmentating packets "by nature" (WiFi has b..load of packet retries and fragmentations).

So try to use the cable connection and set that adapter accordingly.

To make sure you are not using WiFi anymore, rightclick and disable the WIFI adapter.

I do not have the options in my Ethernet Card as described... Broadcom NetExtream 57xx Gigabit Controller ... However it does have a "large Send Offload V2 (Enable/Disable) which I believe it similar to the setting you are describing.

Single Client: (Prototype Reorder Checked)

Rubber Banding is a bit better... Only bouncing + and - 1K to 1.5K not 2K to 5K as before... and stopping at a normal distance from objects rather than ending the bounce 2k+ away from the object I warped to...

Single Gating seems OK, did about 20 gates, no crashes when solo.. :) That makes me VERY happy....

Dual Gating in group mode... Still throws toon 1/2 across the sector unless I gate the "Followers" first then the leader...

Tried all this, still stuck on loading screens everytime i undock... :-/  Funny thing is last night,  I was playing just fine, undocking, jumping systems....play this morning and all of a sudden have these issues, logic dictates it's a server side issue....not an issue on our end.

Edited by Lightbringer
  • Upvote 1

Ive always had a few problems with gating such as I call 'gating to nowhere' where id see a close up view of my ship in the map display and nothing else, or the client would never progress past the logging into server message but I could love with those. After the previous patch where the group gate bug was introduced however ive had many new problems primarily with group members disappearing from the group. The ships would remain visible in the map however their names would be blank in the group list and they would report that on their end it appeared they were online however they could not move, use weapons or buffs and basically were disconnected from the server requiring shutting down the client and logging back in. Since the latest patch the group gate bug has thankfully been fixed however we still experience dropped group members up to several times each hour. My main question is what change on the server side may be causing this (change in packet ordering)? and if this is another new bug or a permanent new setting. Unfortunately in the tech support thread the option changes to the network card settings under device management are not available (Win XP) and I must use wireless to access the internet.

I haven't been able to overcome my gate/dock crashes even with this tweak.

I went out there and after some research got myself a new router and bridged it to my ISPs so i can still have my telephony.

I haven't got a single crash since i did that but will continue to monitor the situation.

Best 65 euros i ever spent :D

PS. I first thought i would do a dd-wrt flash on it but since its working fine as it is i will hold on for now.

Tnx for the report Efi!

I know that it is absolutely unsatisfactory for some of you, hearing "its on your end, its not the server blabla" - esp. when it was working before, and of course you are right!

BUT....Truth is, it wasn't really working before, many people had constantly problems gating and CTD's! Keep in mind that this was the reason for the proxy update.

The latest patches were fixing problems for many of you but some still got (or were getting now) problems - but it's all leading back to the fragmentation problem cuz we now send data cached on gating - so in bigger chunks/packets, which is "intensifying" problems for people suffering from fragmentation.

The final solution is either making sure, that there is no fragmentation happening in the complete network chain at home - or unchecking "Prototype Reorder" again to use the old Proxy mechanism - if nothing helps.

• Upvote 1

All of my characters are hung at the loading screen for exiting a base... Client is responding Server Failed to respond to sector login...

And this just happened...  I tried to undock from F7, and now all of my characters, no matter which one have the same loading screen.... and background tells me Server failed to respond to sector login...

I am only running 1 client on 1 computer

Edited by Yaunsalot

Since you have control over both ends of the network connection between player computer and the server through the proxy, wouldn't it be possible to establish two streams between the server and proxy? One of them is udp and transmitts al the 'realtime' data like movements, turning, shield status updates, etc and the other one is tcp and sends all the 'static' and reliable information, like chat, inventory management, player ship configuration and all the other stuff that crashes the client if it comes out of order or things are missing. You can splice the two streams together in the proxy before handing them to the client again and even give priority to realtime packets to keep the response latency low.

From what i've seen by looking at the udp packet stream, you are already mimicing the nagle algorithm and you also have in-order delivery by numbering your packets. Just need acks now and congestion window control and you are essentially there. If you use TCP you get all of this for free and can probably offload a lot of the tcp like features you are doing in your server process right now onto your server's network card.

If you want i can help you with that even.

well game is unplayable now!!!!  there's no config button on my network card :( i tryed to uncheck prototype reorder that made it worse

guess i'll take some time off while u guy's work this out

Morning jmes,

it would be great if we could track this down for you, i will try to help.

Would you like to give me some details? I would like to know how your network is setup and whats the exact name of your router.

Example for a "flow":

ISP

My Router "Belkin Model 0815 / Rev 1.2"

Internal-Switch ( 6 port NoName)

My Computer

Also i would like to know your Network card name (eg. Realtek 8139) and the driver details, esp. what driver is used. SInce you have no "configure button" i guess you are using the generic microsoft driver, which should be changed to the manufacturers driver to go on.

I've been experiencing massive issues just the last two days or so as well.

I could blame my older than dirt router if it wasn't operating just fine with everything else.  My kid plays WoW and League of Legends and hosts a Minecraft server at times.  Very very very few issues.  I have an old linksys wireless-g 2.4 router.

I've tried the fix you have at the top of this post, and it worked reasonably well for a while, but still couldn't gate grouped without it locking up at least one toon.

It really is acting as if something is corrupted in the install or or the game itself now.  The reason i say this is after these last few HARD crashes where i have to task manager my way out of the game, both my lap top and PC fail to connect to the login server.  In fact, it shows it off line as we speak.  If i give it a few mins to totally reset, then its fine.

My network path:

PC

>>>>>>>>

Gateway

This is what shows up when I open the gateway and then open the "network device" tab

(Linksys Inc.

WRT54G

v3.03.1

uuid:0012-17b0-3e2c00008edc

and ip)

>>>>>>>>>

Internet

sry zackman I have no idea what your talking about :( I know how to turn this thing on thats about it

but i do play on verizon 4g most of the time(truckdriver) so no choice....  It was fine till last patch i could raid and almost never ctd :P while duel boxing

Morning!

Muhir,

1. What is the name of your network card? 

2. Do you know how to get to the dialog where the network card driver is displayed? If so, what driver you are using?

3. Is the Linksys factory firmware or DD-WRT?

4. Is the Linksys Router used via WiFi or cable?

@Jmes
4g and Multiboxing?
If you are not using diff. Computers/Laptop/Netbook/Tablets for the multiple clients, we have a problem for now...  :mellow:

Can you at least try for once to only log in one client and see how this is doing for you?

Morning!

Muhir,

1. What is the name of your network card? 

2. Do you know how to get to the dialog where the network card driver is displayed? If so, what driver you are using?

3. Is the Linksys factory firmware or DD-WRT?

4. Is the Linksys Router used via WiFi or cable?

Morning back to ya.....

Network Card

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Driver:

Provider:  Realtek

Version:    7.46.610.2011

Router:

v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004 damn almost 10 years old!  hahahaha

Firmware Version. This is the Router's current firmware

As for the router, I use the cable from modem to router to PC and wireless to laptop.  Which firmware.... i have no idea.  I've looked where I can and know, but cannot find it.  I've gamed consistently with the lap top and pc running generally two clients on the PC and one on the lap top for years.  I've always been a little sketchy with the lap top, but its old and I just accepted it.  The PC has always be mostly stable.  There were times when you'd get the random DC or gate to oblivion, but generally, not many issues.  Now, its horrid.

Like I said, its almost as if the router needs to reset net-7.  When it crashes, both the PC and lap top clients fail and I have to ctrl-alt-del to open up task manager to close the game.  If I log in immediately, the launcher opens, but the server box (with server selection, all the buttons---proto. reorder and such--- ) is all grayed out.  The web dialogue where it shows updates and such is there, so the internet connection is functioning.  And, all other internet activity is fine as well.

I did the fix at the top of the post, and it ran pretty good for a few hrs, but by megan hour last night it was back to crashing every 5 mins or so.

I am stumped, so any help you can give i appreciate it.

/update

log in with just a single toon on a single client on my PC and did well for about an hour then everything locked up.  if you want to know the truth, it feels like it just reaches a full point, can't handle any more, then shuts down until its all out of the system.

edited for router info.... thanks for the assist in locating it vincent

Edited by Muhir

As for the router, I use the cable from modem to router to PC and wireless to laptop.  Which firmware.... i have no idea.

Open a cmdtool window and type ipconfig.  It will tell you what internal IP address your router uses under "Default Gateway":

Say your Linksys router internal IP address is 192.168.1.1 (the default), then bring up IE, Chrome or Firefox and put that IP address in the address field.

If you have not changed it, the default login info is:

User name: <blank>

Password: admin

If you have changed it, and don't remember what it is, then use a paper clip and push it into a hole in the back of the router to reset it to factory defaults.

After you have logged in, click the Status tab, you will see something like the following:

Firmware Version:  1.0.30 build 126544 2011-12-24 02:40         

Hope this helps