Scaling

I know the client is not up to par with modern technology and widescreen monitors, just wondering if anyone has found a workaround to make 1920x1080 rez look better. It is not horrid but on a station toons look short and fat and space looks a little stretched but not as compressed vertically as on a station.

Sucks my old monitor died but I was playing a game and it went black with the power button flashing between standby and on (tested with another monitor and worked fine) so no choice but to either pay as much to fix it as this new monitor or upgrade so I choose the latter.

I could run it in windowed at a lower rez but chat is rather tiny on this monitor so if there is a workaround to make it look better I would prefer that. Edited by shadowxsx

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Stanig' timestamp='1353550604' post='66812']
Nope, I use native 1600x900 and if i dont use windowed mode my toons look like fat hobbits.

You have to use a 4:3 or it looks terrible. Unfortunately =/
[/quote][quote name='shadowxsx' timestamp='1353551354' post='66813']
That's what I was hoping I wouldn't hear. I wouldn't say it looks horrible just a little squashed ;)
[/quote]

I actually managed to work around that. I'm running at full screen heigth resolution, and its pixel perfect scaled to 4:3.
Here is how I did it:
I run windowed at a custom resolution using net7config. Then I use autohotkey to remove the window borders and make "always on top" to go above windows taskbar.

You have to play a bit with the resolution is you want to have it perfect, as the window border and titlebar count in the screen size when you remove them.

My screen is 1920x1080 (16:9) and to get a perfect 4:3 with 1080 you want 1440 of width. To get that magic 1440x1080 without border, I set my custom resolution to 1434 x 1052.

unfortunatly, I cant automaticly place it in the center with autohotkey, so I need to do the shift-rightclick move trick to place my window in the center.

this is my autohotkey script:
[CODE]
WindowTitle = Earth & Beyond
run LaunchNet7.exe
WinWait, %WindowTitle%
Send {Enter}
WinWaitNotActive, %WindowTitle%
WinWaitActive, %WindowTitle%
Sleep 1000
WinSet, AlwaysOnTop, On, %WindowTitle%
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, %WindowTitle%
[/CODE]

here is the result:
[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/88640796/EnBFullHeigthScaled.jpg[/img] Edited by rem0te

• 1 year later...

Excellent script!  I've made a few tweaks which others may wish to share:

WindowTitle = Earth & Beyond
run LaunchNet7.exe
WinWait, %WindowTitle%
Send {Enter}
WinWaitNotActive, %WindowTitle%

WinHide ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
WinHide Start ahk_class Button

Gui, Color, 000000
Gui +LastFound -Caption
Gui, show,  % "W" . A_ScreenWidth . " H" . A_ScreenHeight . " X0 Y0", GUIWIND

WinWaitActive, %WindowTitle%
Sleep 100
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, %WindowTitle%
WinMove 240, 0

WinWaitClose, %WindowTitle%
WinShow ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
WinShow Start ahk_class Button
ExitApp

GuiClose:   ;Alt-F4 to close
   ExitApp 

It'll now

1. Hide the windows start menu + task bar
  2. Open a full-screen black window underneath E&B
  3. Won't set E&B to always-on-top (which interfered with alt-tabbing for me)
  4. Center E&B on a 1920x1080 monitor.
Edited by OStone

This does provide black borders rather than a distorted image.

The 4:3 resolution that would use all available vertical space on a 1080p monitor is 1440x1080.

There is no such monitor option in either configuration utility, so windowed mode is used to select a custom 4:3 resolution (As far as I can tell, even if you set the values directly in the registry it decides to use windowed mode)

I would much prefer to play with the appearance of fullscreen than windowed, so this script handles removing all the chrome and putting a black window behind EnB.