Before I waste my time filing bugs...

Which of these are bugs and which are 'working as intended'. At best we'll agree to disagree on 'working as intended'.

• JE Cloak lvl 6 consumes 250 power on activation. Tooltip says it should consume 0.
    • Ima go ahead and assume lvl 7 consumes 500 power, because, ya know, standardized code?
  • Level 9 asteroids (and all other levels > 1) sometimes (frequently) containing 0 lvl 9 ores, only lower level ones.
    • IE: lvl 5 roid has only lvl 3/4 ores. Lvl 3 roid only has 1/2, etc.
  • Level 9 hulks have less (10-30) Debris than their lvl 8 counterparts (45-55). This is not offset by Wrecked Slag or any other loot.
  • PS Powerdown skill allowing recharge of shields/reactor despite being rank 1 (0 recharge allowed). Additionally, reactor and shield can be drained under certain circumstances as well by the same issue.
  • Job terminals in star bases that have no jobs. (Why have a job terminal then? I know you can put them in and take them out. Why not just take out the ones that don't list any jobs?)
  • Evolver PrimerMax 3000 is not sold by any vendors, despite having Evolver in the name and literally all other Evolver parts being vendor-sold.

I've re-checked all of these since the patch. They are all still persistent.

1. From what I've witnessed, it does APPEAR that it consumes energy, IE: The reactor drains a bit, but if you keep a close eye on it, it is back to full charge within a fraction of a second, and then begins draining as listed per the skill level.

2. This is probably due to the fact that a L9 asteroid does not really mean "chock full of L9" It usually means it can spawn L9 ores, and usually it is somewhere between L7 and L9. If you are in a field and notice it repeatedly then report it as a bug, but if you roll up on a field and don't see any in the marked 9's but don't wait to see what happens on field respawn, it could mean someone else beat you there and picked it clean. That does happen quite frequently.

3. This is very likely a bug and will probably be adjusted. Fill out a bug report, you won't know until you do.

4. The powerdown skill will work as you stated at L1 IF (in my experiences anyway) you previously had the skill up and then recalled it. Changing the level to a lower one, if you have a higher ability will always yeild the result you are speaking of. Again, my experiences.

5. This was asked about previously and also addressed. I believe on the bug tracker, look it up.

6. PrimerMax 3000 is not the only Evolver product that is not vendor sold. There are a minimum of 3 that I found with a quick search. I suspect its intended based on the items these pieces create.

If you want an in depth answer or one from the 'Team' I suggest you post in the bug section. That is probably the only place you'll get what you're looking for. This particular section is for tech support. You're asking about game mechanics, which implies you can get into the game ;)

Fly Safe

-Alurra

JE Cloak: Nope. Fly at warp with a lvl 3 or 4 reactor, activate rank 6 cloak, watch a huge chunk of your reactor disappear and stay gone.

I don't demand lvl 9 (or any other level) be chock full of certain ores. But I do think it is really dumb that a level 9 roid only contains lvl 8 ores and 0 lvl 9 ores. This happens very frequently, and I don't believe that every.single.field I've found (including several I didn't put on the wiki as a control group) are all being cherry picked.

I have never ranked up the powerdown skill above rank 1. The behavior can be recreated with a new character (lvl 0 -- or whatever lvl you are when you get Powerdown), assuming you can get appropriate buffs on the character.

I opened a bug about the job terminals as well and was told it was working as intended. But it makes no sense to have job terminals with no jobs. Just remove the terminal.

*sigh* Just use another comp then. Digiapogee, Anthor, CE3K, just...use something that instantly tells people 'not store bought'. Don't mess up trends that exist in the entire rest of the game purely because you want something to be difficult to build. It's like me taking your personal car and swapping the positions of the fuel fill hole and oil dipstick. It makes no sense, and literally every person on the planet hates your special snowflake of a car. Same principle.

• Downvote 1

On 5/29/2016 at 4:06 PM, Doctor said:

Which of these are bugs and which are 'working as intended'. At best we'll agree to disagree on 'working as intended'.

• JE Cloak lvl 6 consumes 250 power on activation. Tooltip says it should consume 0.
    • Ima go ahead and assume lvl 7 consumes 500 power, because, ya know, standardized code?
  • Level 9 asteroids (and all other levels > 1) sometimes (frequently) containing 0 lvl 9 ores, only lower level ones.
    • IE: lvl 5 roid has only lvl 3/4 ores. Lvl 3 roid only has 1/2, etc.
  • Level 9 hulks have less (10-30) Debris than their lvl 8 counterparts (45-55). This is not offset by Wrecked Slag or any other loot.
  • PS Powerdown skill allowing recharge of shields/reactor despite being rank 1 (0 recharge allowed). Additionally, reactor and shield can be drained under certain circumstances as well by the same issue.
  • Job terminals in star bases that have no jobs. (Why have a job terminal then? I know you can put them in and take them out. Why not just take out the ones that don't list any jobs?)
  • Evolver PrimerMax 3000 is not sold by any vendors, despite having Evolver in the name and literally all other Evolver parts being vendor-sold.

I've re-checked all of these since the patch. They are all still persistent.

1) Appears that this might be a real issue. I would suggest opening a ticket and we'll talk about it at one of our meetings. (I'd also note that the 'cost 0' is an oversight, there is supposed to be a cost, we just didn't reflect this in the text file the client is reading to show you that information.)
2) This is the way it is supposed to work. The original live game is what we based this on, from thousands of original screenshots. The level of the ore *sometimes* matched the outer level, but most of the time it was 1 or 2 levels under, we're talking like 15-20% of the time where it might be on level, but even then it depends on teh scarcity of a given ore and whether that's what the server chose to try to populate in that field.
3) This is likely a holdover from a very serious economic problem that we had with Debris. Report it.
4) Would need some examples so we can duplicate behavior and see this one. Open a ticket with details.
5) Intentional. Why NOT have a job terminal? We will likely add some to them eventually but the process of adding them in and taking them out isn't as easy as flipping a switch because you often have to add them, and then move them around until they are properly visible and not clashing with something which means a lot of experimentation.
6) Probably an oversight, make a bug ticket.

By the way, filing a bug ticket is never a waste of time. People that feel that way and don't report issues allow bad things to get out of control for long periods of time that we've missed.

4 hours ago, Kyp said:

By the way, filing a bug ticket is never a waste of time. People that feel that way and don't report issues allow bad things to get out of control for long periods of time that we've missed.

4 hours ago, Kyp said:

1) Appears that this might be a real issue. I would suggest opening a ticket and we'll talk about it at one of our meetings. (I'd also note that the 'cost 0' is an oversight, there is supposed to be a cost, we just didn't reflect this in the text file the client is reading to show you that information.)
2) This is the way it is supposed to work. The original live game is what we based this on, from thousands of original screenshots. The level of the ore *sometimes* matched the outer level, but most of the time it was 1 or 2 levels under, we're talking like 15-20% of the time where it might be on level, but even then it depends on teh scarcity of a given ore and whether that's what the server chose to try to populate in that field.
3) This is likely a holdover from a very serious economic problem that we had with Debris. Report it.
4) Would need some examples so we can duplicate behavior and see this one. Open a ticket with details.
5) Intentional. Why NOT have a job terminal? We will likely add some to them eventually but the process of adding them in and taking them out isn't as easy as flipping a switch because you often have to add them, and then move them around until they are properly visible and not clashing with something which means a lot of experimentation.
6) Probably an oversight, make a bug ticket.

Why I feel like reporting these is a waste of time:

1. 'Real issue, specifically the tool tip is wrong.' -> outcome from my point of view: Devs will always side with whatever makes life harder for you. When you find a bug, they will pick the most soul-crushing outcome.

2. No bug -- report wasted. Outcome: Every time I find a lvl 9 ore I can continue to expect half of them to be lvl 8s. Finding level 9s stop being special and becomes something bland because there is no way to count on anything good coming from any source it's supposed to. Said another way, you gave me a carrot on a stick, and then took away the carrot, and wonder why I have no desire to do anything.

3. Legit bug! Yay!

4. Based on 1 and 2, why? So you could take something away that's actually useful? I'd like the game fixed as much as you, but I want it fun too. Here, I'll give you a carrot on a stick too, make a waterloo V, equip it, buff yourself, then power down. Have fun.

5. 'No bug. We'll use them later...maybe.' Outcome: same problem as the ore example above. I see something and say "Oh goodie, a stick!" and then find out there's no carrot. It doesn't make me find something else, it makes me hate you for lacking good game design. When was the last time you played a game where doors opened into giant middle fingers or guns killed you instead of your enemies and then the game laughed at you for daring to think mechanics were going to work as they do in literally every other video game? Or how about the last time you picked up a paperback book and it was written in 4 point font. Or in Comic Sans. Or with rainbow text. These conventions exist for a reason. I've seen the dev tools. If your tools cannot let you write down where it is now and then put it back, improve them, because that shit is totally possible.

6. Bug...maybe.

So in the end, 2 things get fixed. 4 things remain the same. By helping you I force everyone, myself included, to encourage you to continue having bad game design as an argument against fixing things. *sigh* This is why I feel like I'm wasting my time.

I find bugs for a living. Literally my actual fucking big-boy job is finding bugs in multi-million dollar equipment. I come here to relax. I find the same attitudes I find at work. "It's not our problem, it is *their* problem." "Ok, we'll fix it by changing the spec!" "That's not a bug, it's working as intended...nevermind what the rest of the industry/IEEE/T10/etc say! We r teh spekle snowflak!" It's exhausting. I chase these assholes down at work so your clouds and cell phones keep working. I come here and I have no big stick to smack you with because I am not a critical part of your organization. I left once for a year, I guess it's time for another hiatus. It's not good for you or me that I get this stressed out over a game whose client is so old it's basically held together with bubble gum and hope at this point. >.<

• Downvote 4

Doc, looks like you might be having a bad day and needed to vent some.  I hope you're feeling a little better now and decide to stick with the game despite the bubblegum keeping it together.  And if you don't, I wish you luck finding that perfect game with no bugs where the developers see everything from your point of view.

I might also point out that this is a volunteer run emulator, the staff that run it also have "actual fucking big-boy jobs" that are not this game, their idea of relaxation is keeping this game together so that guys like me and you can enjoy it, so let's keep that in mind before we start slinging insults at them in the forums.

I work in software development, I've been in both the developer and tester roles on large projects.  I've read this thread and I see nothing but professional responses to your concerns.  So if by your statement "I find the same attitudes I find at work" you meant to say that they act like professionals working on a multi million dollar project despite the fact that they are volunteers working with no budget, then yah, I totally agree with you and say keep up the good work guys.

P.S.  Sorry if this came off a little rude, I guess I needed to vent some too.  Let's give some credit for the 99% of the things that are working correctly and let's enjoy what we have.

• Upvote 1

@Doctor

If it is a waste of your time then why even bother posing the questions.

Don't waste my time by asking me to look at your questions requesting an answer then listen to you bitch because nobody gave you the answer you wanted. And yes, by posting on a public forum you have asked everyone to take a look and give a response.

Bugs that don't get reported end up like your 'carrot on a stick'. They don't get reported because people want to take advantage of the situation, when the team FINALLY finds out about it, and they usually do, its gotten so out of control as to be 'the norm' for the player base who then screams FOUL when it's dialed back to what it was initially intended to be. This wouldn't be an issue if fine folks, such as yourself, reported bugs and let them get fixed.

I know, it makes you a more special snowflake to sit back and yell about how your life is oh so much rougher than everyone elses' though. We all have 'actual fucking big boy jobs' that require us to chase around some asshole or another. Pull up your big boy panties and deal. Report the bug, don't report the bug. But do not come here to bitch about things that haven't been fixed "as of your last check with the patch" if you don't report it. Can't fix it if its not known that its broken.

BTW. You'll find that many of those on the team that work their big boy jobs don't have much time to allow them to actually play the game. They work, come home and work some more on this emulator to keep it up and running, and work out kinks (provided they were reported in the first place) to keep folks such as yourself happy and content. So where is their leisure time spent? I guess here listening to you complain about things that aren't fixed that you don't want to waste your time reporting.

P.S. If this came off a little rude, good. Responding to a rude person rarely generates a flowery response from me.

• Upvote 4

On 5/30/2016 at 1:14 PM, Doctor said:

JE Cloak: Nope. Fly at warp with a lvl 3 or 4 reactor, activate rank 6 cloak, watch a huge chunk of your reactor disappear and stay gone.

I'm just curious, why would someone who's leveled up enough to get lvl 6 cloak be flying around with a level 3 or 4 reactor?  Also, look at the recharge rates of your 3-4 reactor and whatever reactor you normally use.  I'm willing to bet the higher level reactor fills in that brief amount of time

Love your outlook OP,

I've been a professional cook nearly all my life (more yrs than I care to remember), I love people like you and their outlook on things.

They come in and ask for a bacon swiss burger..but bacon isn't good for you..leave that off, make it american instead of swiss, no mayo,catsup,mustard,pickles or special sauce please...oh frying is bad too, bake that burger..and blot it. The bun? All that gluten, make it flat bread would you? I hate lettuce, don't even put it on as garnish! Onions? they give me bad breath off with them as well...tomatoes? allergic..NO to tomatoes!, hey add some avacado, sproats, and a egg white (no yoke!), don't even THINK of upcharging for those last 3! I'm running late for lunch hour, can you make mine express before all the other peoples orders?

Then the next time they come in, they are sure to tell you that the "bacon swiss" burger was bland, dry and tasteless.

I've bitched about things in the past, but I've tried to make it either constructive and/or humorous (sometimes the humor didn't come through...meh tastes differ). But if you aren't going to make a bug report..don't moan about the bug! The unpaid, overworked Dev's are just like everyone else in this world, they don't like to be bitched at work any more than you do (in this instance their non-paid, just for the love of the game, night "job"). Don't come in my house and complain about the decor, thanks. If you rearrange the menu to suit you, to the detriment of all the other guests, don't bother the chef with your complaints about the nightly special.

• Upvote 1