Game Freezing At Gates

Well this is happening to me now as well. 

I was away from the game for some time, but had minimal  lockups before this.  Now I am locking up at gates almost every time in the Earth sectors.   It really is unplayable in this state unfortunately.  I have the game on 2 computers and same thing happens on both.

I hate to say goodbye, but no fun to be had with constant restarts. 

Will keep checking to see if anyone admits that there is a problem here that needs to be fixed.

Caught your post in the other forum area Bonesarr... And asked if you were based in the U.K. and using Virgin Media...

*IF* you are...

At some point in the second week of July, Virgin Media pushed out a firmware upgrade to the majority of their routers/hubs.

A consequence of this firmware upgrade was that it set the Firewall Policy on the router/"super-hub" to "Medium".

And that meant that 99 attempts out of 100 to gate in EnB would cause the Game client to lock-up.

Setting the Firewall Policy on the router/hub to "Low" resolves the issue.

Of course... If you're not based in the U.K., or not using Virgin Media, the above may be irrelevant. But the symptoms you are describing (locking up almost every time you gate; happening on both computers you use), sound identical to the problems that I and TolkenMoon were having. We're both Virgin Media users in the U.K.; and TolkenMoon (my Hero  :wub: ) discovered the resolution.

Sorry to butt into this conversation with nothing constructive to add ...but regarding the statement I underlined in your quote ....

You should write the song in Haiku and include speak of BBQ ribs and sing it whilst wearing a BBQ filthy baby bib .... Tolk will LOVE that, trust me ;)

Hahaha i nearly wet myself laughing.

Holyman, again my pleasure glad we sorted it out.

Tolk

Nope I am not in UK and have tried most suggestions here.  

There were a few gates in Arragoth where things worked well and I thought problem was fixed but no, every where else I tried, Sol, Beta Hydri and Tau Ceti I hang every time.

Very frustrating and unfortunately not being a computer geek, I really don't have the smarts to fix this myself.

Oh well, you were fun while you lasted EnB.   At least I can come back and look at my ships from time to time.  :P  Trading and exploring are pretty much out the window though. :( 

Coincidentally enough Bonesarr...

I had a few gates in Aragoth where things worked fine... But everywhere else would hang almost continually.

So you're not in the U.K., and that means you won't be using Virgin Media as your I.S.P.

But it *DOES* sound like it's a Firewall issue.

One thing you can check is the "Net-7 Proxy" icon that comes up in the taskbar (all the little icons that cluster around the clock in the bottom-right of your Windows desktop) whilst you have the client loaded.

Common-or-Garden Variety Gate Hangs will turn that Net-7 Proxy icon to a black-framed square, and when you hover the mouse over it, will show something like "Awaiting Master Hand-Off". These are just the usual gate-hangs that happen very periodically with the Game client, just as they did in Live.

But if your problem is Firewall related (and it really sounds like it is), then the Net-7 Proxy icon will show "Stage 1 Completed", when the client hangs.

Try (temporarily) disabling your Firewall on your I.S.P.'s hub/router, to see if it makes any difference. If the Game then works, you can try turning the I.S.P. Firewall back on at a lower setting.

You should be able to find some non-Geek Friendly instructions on how to do that at your I.S.P.'s support pages.

Heya Holyman, tried a few other of Zackmans suggestions last night and sadly none of them helped. 

Thanx for the tips, I am kinda hesitant to mess with my ISP just for a game when everything else seems to work fine.   I might give it a try though, and will let you know if I have any success.

You should give it a whirl, at least to identify if it is the cause of the issue.

Everything you describe - including your frustration! - is *EXACTLY* as it was for me.

The situation with the Firewall occurred because the firmware upgrade pushed out by the I.S.P. necessarily wiped whatever settings had been set by all their users. They chose to reset the Firewall at the default of "Medium", since that offered the best balance between continuing functionality and not being moaned at for compromising security.

Looks like I'd had my (I.S.P.) Firewall settings at "Low" forever... And was able to play EnB without any issues, or get attacked by any Internet ne'er-do-well. The Firmware upgrade set it to "Medium", and that was that... Until TolkenMoon came along.  :)

If you change your own I.S.P. Firewall settings to "off" or "low", and establish if that cures the problem, you can always (if it does cure the problem) reset it back to "medium" (or the equivalent on your kit) when you are not playing.

I'm working on the principle that you have an easy-to-use (for non-techies) Web interface to manage your I.S.P. hub - it will be where you changed your Wi-Fi password &c. But if it is all a bit incomprehensible, your I.S.P.'s Service Desk should be able to help you out.

Good luck and stick with it. The frustrations all seem worth it once you hit the glorious moment of resolution and can start playing again!!

• 1 month later...

I upgraded to Windows 10 about a month ago or so, and kept putting off reinstalling ENB but finally did yesterday, and after going through the initial setup process, everything works wonderfully.  No longer freezing at the gates or any other issues.  Been playing smoothly for a few hours and as Holyman said, it is worth it once you get a resolution.