Windows 8.1 The Install

A couple years ago I wrote an article on how to install e&b on a windows 8 machine and it's right here ( https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/8167-windows-8/) if you want a look.

Now microsoft has released a update called windows 8.1, it has given a lot of people fits on installing older games(uac being the big problem) and security settings.

I am not going to go into detail about the exact changes as I wouldn't know where to begin.

This article is my experience helping people thru teamviewer to get the game working on 8.1 and a couple files to help you on your way.

First I want to thank the poor unfortunate souls that have let me see the problems in real time so I can work out how to go around MS's security so gamers have access to old favorites.

This method might work for other emulators if they allow downloading the entire client via the proxy software so keep an open mind.

This article specifically applies to new installs without a prior install of the game to copy and paste files from (those will be provided at the end of the article).

I will provide  the steps if you are so fortunate to have a previously installed game.

First lets start by addressing the first problems I see with windows 8.1.

I was asked by Pakkrat to help him install the game on his new tower he just built with 8.1 on it and this is my experience with that.

So when pakk asked me to remote into teamviewer and help him get the game installed and install the starship creator I ran into the usual issues with windows 8.1( the game wouldn't install from the installer (the demo.exe)), I disabled UAC (the popup window ms so helpfully added to vista and newer os's to block users from installing malicious files (like mcafee and nortons) and create all sorts of problems for normal people. So after UAC was disabled via the slider in the user settings in the control panel and the computer rebooted it still wouldn't run the exe. Wierdly enough I didn't see this in my 8.0 experience.. But I had seen it on others comps and it seems to be a by comp problem more then a microsoft problem.(after 5-10 of these you see patterns).

So from prior experience I knew I was going to have to install the game via the net-7 launcher exe (kudos to the dev's who allow us to install the game without the demo.exe)

So first step was to zip up my net-7 install folder and the release folder from the games main install folder (This is so net-7launcher can find the game folder and have something to update from).

>>> IMPORTANT<<< Before you start you will need to disable UAC. Access your control panel/users/your account UAC settings and slide the bar all the way to the bottom, important reboot your comp so the uac is disabled or this will be painfull and probably wont work, you can re-enable it after were done but I hate mother ms not trusting me to know the good from the bad and causing so many issues.

Step 1. Via teamviewer/or the files from this article, obtain the two files required.

Step 2. Open your My Computer/access the c drive on your comp via windows explorer.

Step 3. On your C Drive(or the folder you intend to install the game to ( DO NOT USE c:\program files(x86)\ EVER windows 64 bit os's do not like older 32bit games and they need to be in a root based folder or installed to a seperate drive).

Right click in the blank area of the window and create a new folder called Games (dos guys are laughing at this point)  C:\Games  <-- this directory if you intend to install the game on 1 drive computers I have mine in this folder but larger/newer games I have installed to a 500gb drive which has nothing but games installed on(my steam folder is 145gb alone).

Once that folder has been created open the folder and make 2 new folders name them Net-7 and Earth & Beyond ( you can make it E&B/whatever you want) if you like but you need a folder you can identify as the e&b installed folder).

Step 4. I'll list 2 ways to do this is you have a computer with the game installed on or via the files I'll provide here.

A. Previous Installed game.

Version 1. Previous install and access to the game on a working comp.

Step 1. You will need to copy/paste 2 folders from your previous working install.

You can just copy and paste the 2 folders wholesale to the correct directories from the other comp/old hard drive via whatever method you have (plugged in hard drive/usb key/network etc) and proceed.

Step 2. Open the net-7 folder and delete the Client-FileList.txt/Client-Version.txt/Net7-FileList.txt/Net7-Version.txt this forces the launcher to update net-7 and the game folder and is important to this method.

Step 3. Copy/paste the contents of the entire folder (minus the 4 text files listed in step 2) into the new net-7 folder you created (you could just copy the entire folder to the C:\games folder either way) just make sure you delete the 4 text files listed.

Step 4. In the e&b folder you created previously (Step 3 in the main article) COPY ONLY THE RELEASE FOLDER into the you wont need the rest of the files and it'll be installed fresh.

Step 5. This is the tedious part I can't help this.

Open the net-7 folder, open the bin folder, and the LaunchNet7.exe and proxy.exe need to be right clicked open properties/compatibility

Set to run as admin and (4 boxes at the bottom third one down)

Also set the games compatibility mode to windows xp service pack 2/3 or vista if xp isn't listed.

Click apply/okay

Step 6. Open the release folder in the e&b folder and find client.exe and do the same thing xp service pack 3 and run as admin.

Click apply/okay.

B. Files Provided.

Version 2. No previous installed game folders and using the 2 zip files I'll provide here.

Step 1. Open C:\Games\Net-7 (or if using a alternative hard drive to the games directory you are using, On mine it's F:\Games\Net-7/)copy the files in net-7.zip to this folder

Step 2. Open C:\Games\Earth & Beyond\ Copy the release folder from the zip file to this folder.

Step 3. The tedious part.

Open the net-7 folder, open the bin folder, and the LaunchNet7.exe and proxy.exe need to be right clicked open properties/compatibility

Set to run as admin and (4 boxes at the bottom third one down)

Also set the games compatibility mode to windows xp service pack 2/3 or vista if xp isn't listed.

Click apply/okay

Step 4. Open the release folder in the e&b folder and find client.exe and do the same thing xp service pack 3 and run as admin.

Click apply/okay. (Yes I copypasta this)

Step 5. (back to the main article as A and B are now on the same step)

You can do this a couple ways but the easiest method is open the C:\Games\Net-7\bin and find launchNet-7.exe right click and pin to taskbar.

You can also send to desktop via shortcut or whatever method suits your needs.

Step 6. Run net-7 ... When windows 8 detects to exe needed .net 2.5/3.0 it will download the updated files (takes a minute or two) You might need to reboot your comp( I did 2 years ago when using 8 the first time) your situation might vary reboot your comp if in doubt.

>>>>>IMPORTANT<<<<<

Net-7 will likely cause a error with .net ALWAYS ALWAYS Click on continue never click close it'll shut the program down and you will have to do this again..

<<<<End of important>>>>

Step 7. The launcher is running(oh joy it does work)

At this point I just want the game to run,

At this point the launcher wants to know where client.exe is hiding so navigate to the C:\Games\Earth & Beyond\release select the client.exe and click open.

Let it update the launcher (if needed) when it's done click open and see the files or close and move on.

Step 8. Next step is to update the game and download it.

When the launcher is done updating it will want to update the game also and will start checking files and downloading missing files.

Let it update everything it's about 1.2gb approx so it'll take as long as your internet connection takes.

Step 9. When the game is updated, files are done downloading. You will need to check all the exe's in the net-7/bin folder and the client/e&b folder click click set compatibility/run as admin apply/okay.

Step 10. You will see a security certificate error (the games current certificate is expired and they know about it so don't go complaining I had issues with access to the dev ftp and they are working on it) Click on yes continue and you wont see it again.

Step 11. Run the game.

Launch net-7 if it's not already running

(I suggest next to the server address to check the top 3 boxes and uncheck the delete th6 check, the only thing delete th6 does is delete the games database files for the asset folder, only use this if you crash at the map loading screen back to windows, check your vid drivers and click the checkbox to clear the corrupt files and uncheck as needed. I do not understand peoples issues with this I do direct changes to the game files via a couple methods for doing my graphics updates and never have issues with map screen crashing so if you crash at map loading use this if not leave it unchecked).

Step 12. Megan..

All right when I did pakkrat's computer megan popped up with the activate via the demo website (name eludes me atm) click have account and continue and you should get the password screen. Try logging in if you have an account, you should at this point be in the game unless you have firewall issues(outside of the scope of this article).

Step 13. Always have patience, if you have followed this article step by step and still have issues please contact me via teamspeak (ts.net-7.org) I will ask you if you have teamviewer, (www.teamviewer.com) and if you do not mind me remoting into your computer (you will have complete freedom to take the mouse back over or close the program if you think I am doing anything wierd. Some people have issues with phantom typing and mouse movements others do not, I will let you know now because I will ask you. You can't shock me with your desktop as teamviewer makes it black by default and I do not need to know. I used to be an admin in a file sharing program that will go unnamed here but trust me I have seen all sorts of wierd things. I'm tough to shock but if it's illegal remove it from your desktop ahead of time. I do not want to know.

This method works for microsoft vista/7/8/8.1 and probably 10 when it's out the only real problem with the game is going to be having access to drivers for your video card if you run older hardware with newer os's ( aka directx9 vid cards in 8/8.1/10 etc)

Screen setup article   https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/6404-net7configexe-for-running-custom-resolutions/)

Other then that have a nice day and good luck it's a big universe out there. If a moderator can pin this article I believe they will find it most usefull and hopefully make it easier for people to find.

• 1 month later...

dont know if its related but ive managed to intall straight onto windows 8.1 but the problem im having is once game is fuly logged in i can play for 2-3min at most then it freezes and i have to kill the program with ctrl+alt+del

• 2 months later...

dont know if its related but ive managed to intall straight onto windows 8.1 but the problem im having is once game is fuly logged in i can play for 2-3min at most then it freezes and i have to kill the program with ctrl+alt+del

This might or might not be related to the problems I had when I swapped in a nvidia 670 SC card for the ati 5870 I normally run.

I ran into a problem where if i had a hdmi out to a non hdmi monitor it would do wierd things to the screen if you are not seeing your screen turn on and off that isn't this problem.

Second thing i ran into is my motherboard and the nvidia card hated eachother.. I rustled up a dvi-d to dvi-d cable and removed the hdmi cable and that problem went away but the comp would lock up in games after a couple minutes and i'd have to force reboot.

In the bios came up an overcloocking error(I'm not overclocking but the vid card is over clocked from the factory). If this sounds like more your problem then it might not be the game but a hardware issue.

Third how does it lock up and where specifically it could be an overheating problems or a driver error or something.

If you want to contact me in teamspeak I can help you that way also. Ts.net-7.org look for Scootermagoo[GrA] i do work during the american daytime but you might catch me early or after work. I typically work from 10 am MST to 5pm MST and get home after 5:30 MST if this helps.