Adjustments to older weapons.

Dragonsmurf

Hi, I been notice that a lot of players hardly ever use certain weapons because they are deemed useless. So therefore certain raid items never get used, or they stop doing the raid completely because of the weapons and such are in a sense useless anymore compared to other weapons. Now I been thinking, why not revamp some of these weapons once again. Therefore making them a bit more useful to plyaers as well as giving players more options for weapons. Now my suggestions are:

Zenrei cannon: make it buildable to 200%.

Tengu reaver: buildable to 200%

Eye of Fang Fiend: buildable to 200%. In all honesty the only other option we have for weapon energy conservation is a Deadly focus for JD's.

Made to Live: open to all classes

Emerald Devastator: Open to all classes (Same could be applied to all of the weapon drops from the controller raid)

HellBore missle launcher (both): reduce the timer on the reload from 22 seconds to 16 seconds. also make the ammo buildable. (quite honestly it is a worthless weapon IMHO).

These are the ones I can think of right off hand. Because once Dertodesangel opens up, the use of most of these items will become useless, as well as the raids. because when asked for a lot of different weapon types we automatically respond or get told they are useless because this and that is better. In a lot of cases it is. Ie. Oni communication Device raid, then Red Dragon Base raid will become moot, after Dertodesangel opens up.

I tend to disagree and here is why.

While some of the gear might be deemed useless by some players, there are others who use these items in conjunction with certain setups to achieve a certain goal.

Much like how we all dress or eat, why would we want all the same things on the buffet or in the closet all the time? We all have individual playing styles and preferences. What might be a great or perfect setup for you, might not be what I want to use because my playing style is different.

You said specifically the EOFF should be buildable and your reasoning was that the only other option for conservation is the Deadly Focus. Wouldn't that in turn make the deadly focus now pointless?

To me, having options is the way to go. I don't want to have 'cookie cutter' toons that EVERYONE should have this that or the other thing. If I want advice about what is best, or what is the most 'popular' than I can always ask, but part of the fun of the game is the ability to equip all of these different things to achieve a different outcome.

I suspect that some of the other items you talk about are likely designed to be the way they are to avoid making them overpowered. Meaning the buffs/enhancements they add at the 'looted' percentage is equitable, but to get more would unbalance the game long term. Of course, I don't know this for sure, but that is my thoughts on it.

I would certainly encourage others to respond here with their thoughts as well though.

Fly Safe

-Alurra

all of the items listed and many more are gap/fill use items between high end buildable gear and high end raid gear. many are used for specific set-ups as Alurra pointed out. I don't see any need to "fix" these things. it would only make the other gear either unwanted or less valuable.

What Strettch says - totally agree - many of these items are fill-in items which are valuable if you have nothing better. Not everyone gets to win the best stuff immediately.

I also think the quest for more and more damage actually makes the game more boring. If you can kill a L66 with 2 toons in a few minutes without any real effort what was the point. You may as well shoot scuttlebugs. The degree of difficulty makes the game more interesting, not the uber goober super potatoguns which can slice through Desash or whoever like a butter-sauced fillet of trout.

they are very good points, and I will have to agree with you on some points. But, in reality of things who actually here even uses some of these weapons? the Zenrei cannon for instance? The Eye of Fang Fiend? I just recently got a Eye of Fang Fiend for my JD, so i can open up a device slot for certain applications. And when I asked on market for one, the first few tells I got were, that thing is useless, you should use a Deadly Focus and go with this weapon set up. And be honest here, do you run with these weapons on your guys? or recommend these weapons to others?

As far as the Controller raid and the weapons it drops from there, those weapons do not really buff that specific warriors abilities. Ie. Emerald Devastator, it only gives 4% extra damage, and 104% beam range. It is still a nice weapon, but it does not buff a JD specifically, unlike the Defenders Pride. So it could be used on the other two classes of Jenquai.

Again I think this all comes down to what expectations are.

Yes, I have an EOFF. No, I don't currently use it, but that is because I have not been playing much on my JD.

On the other side of this coin. I also have a Plague's Bite that has been in my vault for I have no idea how long now collecting dust bunnies, because even when I do take my JD out, i just don't use it. My playing style just doesn't warrant hot swapping gear in and out constantly for this buff, that buff or the other.

You see how my play style might be different then yours? To me, the PB is an 'obsolete' device, but I know many others who would throw a veritable fit if I were to vendor it or whatever.

Do you kind of understand what I am saying here?

There are so many objects in this game, and just because some of them get more playtime than others, does not make them obsolete or useless or even mean they need to be changed to make them better than they are.

There are items that are already in game that fulfill those very qualities you would like to see assigned to these particular things.

I don't dispute that you feel that way and you certainly are not being faulted for feeling that way. Please don't misunderstand me.

Me, personally, I like the variety. I like the ability to just play with the different combinations to achieve what I want to achieve. If I don't like the way it works, then I will change it out for something that might be more suitable.

I think if you were speaking specifically from a point that said you can't get certain buffs, enhancements without changing these items to get that ability, that would be a different story.

Let's take this bit by bit:

Zenrei Cannon: Gives a turbo weapons (projectile) of 27.5 % on equip. That is at 100%. You would ask to have it buildable to 200%. Would that not dramatically increase it's turbo properties that would unbalance the game in the long run? Especially if you add on top of that any activated buffs that stack. Let's say the waking nightmare and the CVE. It also gives a cruising speed boost of 234. Again, that removes the need of a device slot all alone, but if you could make it even faster by building it to 200% wouldn't that make it a bit overpowered and perhaps make say, the cat's paw a now useless and defunct item because of it?

The reaver: Already reduces weapons cost by 36.5% ; enhances damage by 30% and gives a 2880 scan boost. Give that 200% qualities and who the heck would even need a JE for that DEA buff? Now the DEA is kind of defunct.

We already covered the EOFF ;)

Made to Live: All the buffs that beam produces for a JE is the ONLY way a JE can get those buffs since many of the damage increases/ weapons costs items are warrior only. Now open that up for all the jenquai. Suddenly the JD has a super duper new beam that gives all he /she needs with little to no need for ANY other devices. Damage increase/Critical targetting/hdc/shield increase .. I mean the buffs on that one beam alone make it fantastic for a JE because they really can't get the buffs it provides without it. That to me screams OVERPOWER and overkill for anything other than the JE.

the ED: would only be useful to jenquai anyway since it's L9.  But in conjunction with the MTL for a JE while the JE might still not be overpowered in the sense it could take the place of a warrior, it is slipping into more of a warrior role rather than an explorers role. You can make a JE more warrior like with the gear that is provided, but it will never be as strong as a JD and was never meant to be.

Hellbore: This is one of those weapons that I am not terribly sure about. I know that both of them have different timers for reload, one at 22 the other at 15 or so. The buffs on them both make the weapons a desirable one because they remove the necessity of device slots being needed for debuffs for other skills.

I have an Eye of the Fang Fiend on Torrence, and find it useful.  His other 4 beams are the Ambushing Jaguar.  I don't need it on my JE or JT as they're more energy efficient.  I don't think there need to be changes to the Made to Live beam.  IIRC the devs said that the MtL beam would likely be too powerful on the JW.  I don't think that the EoFF needs to be changed, as I use it for the same reason that Alurra uses hers.  If there are to be future plasma beams with Beam Energy Conserve in the future, I might use them, but I'm okay with the EoFF as is.  If the devs were to make such a plasma beam, it should be no more powerful than beams like the Ambushing Jaguar, and have no more than 2 buffs, none of which enhance damage.  There is already an upcoming energy beam with the Energy Conserve buff, assuming it's like the original, the Sun Focus 2000.

For my JE I ultimately want to have the Gaze of Amah, Made to Live, and Ambushing Jaguar for my beams, while mining.  For dealing with ore field guardians it's more than enough for my needs, and my JT already has the requisite prints for 2 of them.  The Gaze of Amah, as far as I know, isn't in the game yet.  It's a storyline item, that's tied to the Mars Construction Project.  The 6 device slots will be filled with relatively run of the mill equipment, like a L8 Lazarus & a L7 Navigation Computer for those quick escapes. Coma & Chimaera for fighting, and probably a reduce sig buff somewhere.   The Veiled Oyoroi for the mining buffs.  For an energy setup, something different, but spectacular weapons wouldn't be needed.  Something like an SF2K, Ghosts Edge, and one other.

If there are new beams added, and similar love for the other 2 races, I think they should not rival existing equipment such as the DG or GoD.  Weapons comparable to Zets, Archos, and Pitbulls in terms of DPS, with buffs that are common to the race they're geared towards are fine in my opinion, same for other common buffs that tend to cross races.  IMO the devs made a great addition along those lines when they added the Jaguar line of beams.

Not having cookie cutter equipment is a good thing, but new rivals to the DG aren't necessary for that.

the lvl 9 Ambushing Jaguar is a great little beam weapon for anyone actually. I have one with me as well. I love that 4 second reload. I am not saying get rid of them, just discussing the possibility of making them manufacture-able. Also opening up certain weapons to all classes. (notice I said classes not races), making a lvl 9 beam weapon progen restricted, or "Jenquai only", seems kind of moot, same applies to lvl 9 missiles, and projectile launchers. When they can only be used by the intended classes anyways.  So the sarcasm has become moot, or null and void. Now I have heard, from other people that the MTL was open to all classes, and that it wasn't unique either. and of coarse peeps would strap on 4 of them along with a Devastating Gaze or Glare of Destruction. Now making certain weapons unique does serve a purpose, and I am all for that. You could make all lvl 9 weapons unique, that would force players to use other based weapons. instead of strapping on 4 bile missile launchers and a Smiter's wrath. or 4 Eye of Destructions, and a Devastating Gaze/Glare of Destruction, or the Progen weapon systems from the fish bowl.

The "restricted" versions of racial restrictions matter, as they also affect building, not just use.  Progen cannot build, analyze, or dismantle any item that's Progen Restricted.  Jenquai are under the same restrictions for Jenquai Restricted items.  I don't know if something that's profession restricted, rather than race restricted, would affect building.

There are pieces of equipment that are in existence that cannot be used by anyone.  The L9 Profiler is an example.  It's Terran Only, Tradesman Only.  I'm not sure, but I think that prior to launch of the original game, characters could use L9 of all 4 techs, instead of the current configuration where everyone gets 2 L9 and 2 L8 techs, varying by race & profession.  Those items simply weren't removed.  I'm not certain of that.

If at some time in the future, the devs decide to go to the everyone gets L9 of everything, though I don't see why they would, then those "Race Only" restrictions would also matter. 

I doubt the devs will deviate from the original stats/specs of items that were in place during "live". One would be better off providing suggestions and ideas for newer types of equipment to be implemented. As long as the idea(s) in question is reasonable and wouldn't make said class/race over-powering then most likely, the suggestion would be taken under consideration.