A Big Welcome To New Players

I would also like to join "Lobster" in welcoming the new players. some of the links that are on the link that he provided no longer work, but the ones that do have some great information for the new and not so new players. Enjoy the game and if you need any help while playing just ask. You will find that this is a very helpful community.

*holds her nose because wetpolecats are notoriously smelly lil creatures*

Yeah, what these guys said....

A big hello to all, new and old :D

*scratches the 'cat' with a 10 foot pole and runs out waving at Syber as she races by*

Um, hello

I was a player during the EA beta and into live.  I distinctly remember there being a gap of about 24 hours between the end of free Beta and the launch of paid accounts where you couldn't play until you had physically gone into a store and bought the game.  I remember that being super frustrating.  

I've thought about this game many many times over the years.  I stopped playing before sunset; I can't remember why now.  Maybe I needed to get outside more.  Maybe I saw the writing on the wall and got out on my own terms.

I just discovered this emulator, good work guys!  Thank you!

Having said all that, I have some thoughts/questions. 

What are the dev team's long-term goals here?  To provide nostalgia for us original players, or to build something that attracts new players? Something in between?

Was it necessary to re-do the entire quest system? It seems totally different. And (I swear by all the million names of God that I mean this constructively) somewhat amateurish. I say that as an experienced geek (I played Oddesy: the Compleat  Apventure on an Apple II in the 1980s, and Taipan!, and some other seriously old-school stuff when it was new-school, and the original AD&D, and Star Frontiers, for that matter) and a creative writing major with a degree in English writing. I also have more than a passing (but amateur) interest in game design.  If I were writing a review of this game, the only thing I've found to criticize would be the quests. The new player tutorials are gone (or I haven't found them) and the talk-trees and quests are shaky at best.  Take the TT guy out in the hanger on Loki. (Louden? I think.) He is loaded with quests that seem to exist for no other reason than to provide a necessary bunch of quests.  Motivation and story are lacking here, other than the motivation of just leveling.

Maybe it was always like that, in live.  I really don't remember.  Maybe my expectations are more sophisticated now than they were 12 years ago.  But that sort of thing takes me out of the immersion of being a space pilot and reminds me that I'm playing a game.

Having said that, if this is something the devs would like to fix or work on, I'd like to offer my help.  Like I said, I have a degree in English writing (Pitt '96), long experience with immersive games.  I've made Skyrim mods enough to understand talk trees and quest structures.  I've designed stuff in Unity 3d.

If I should be directing this note somewhere other than this forum discussion, please let me know.  Thanks!

And really, thanks for getting this back up and running.  I've been missing it.

tl;dr: Devs: If you'd like some help with story/talk trees/quests, I'd welcome the opportunity to assist.

Send  me a PM with some examples of what you think you'd change and what you would say instead, perhaps. Remember, sometimes it has some intention to seem thick, for example, Bogeril and Executive Macellan

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd try this game again, going for a support role in a huge raid (something I never did with my JE a decade ago). After 2 hours I have a level 10 JD (picked the right class?). What would be the fastest way to get my toon grouped up and fighting? Should I just ask for a group on the new player channel when I'm logged in?  Will I be limited to grouping with toons around my level? What skills are most in demand by groups? Thanks...

My toon is named Foo, because he was born with that fu manchu. See you out there!