Strange lag

Two separate computers (both Win7 - one 32-bit (older) and one 64-bit (fairly new very powerful), and I get the same oddity.  I can log in and play fine for about 4-5 minutes....then it just lags out so bad as to be almost unplayable.  A click takes 10-15 seconds to register, ships drift all over the place or miss warp paths or replay the same stop at destination scene three or four times.  Shut down client, start it all up again, log back in, repeat.  Tried a bunch of stuff like different resolutions (which is also why I started it up on second pc, it is much more powerful in all aspects), even DNS servers, turning off A/V or any other scanning...easily repeatable. My ISP is not the best, so I suspected that a bit, too...but it is reproducible even when my ISP is having a good day.  I know it is not lag on the servers, everyone I have spoken to in-game is not experiencing it- but it is odd that I can play fine for a bit, then thunk...lag city.

Have loved E&B since well before it went sunset- just wish I could figure this out to keep playing. :)

I get the same lag you are experiencing.  It happens on my Earthlink DSL, as well as my buddy's Comcast.

EDIT: I can't even leave Luna station now.  It's stuck on the loading screen forever.  I've waited over 10 minutes on the loading screen now.  I'm with you, it would be nice to play...

Edited by Jaymz

One of my friends recently started playing, was experiencing this lag. He was able to remove it by taking his router out of the loop and so determining it there.

After confirming that, he flashed the firmware of his router to the current version & the lag disappeared completely. We can't really support you with that process, but look up the thread on WinMTR and capture some logs.

I can give it a shot, but I am using the same Cisco hardware firewall I've been using for years- and before a few player wipes I was playing fine.  Agreed - it has been a LONG time since I played last, on the same machine(s), but I wouldn't expect this much difference (and if it was ISP, I would expect it to be more intermittent. It's not the best, but it's not *always* bad. :-)  It's a bad comparison, but my Xbox One and PS3 online game just fine.  I'd hate to have to completely reinstall, but I might, just to try it.

And I am not in Luna anymore, but again...I can play for 4-5 minutes (wired or wireless, makes no difference), then it just bogs down so bad as to be unplayable.  I do appreciate the responses, though.

I have not, I will try that now. Sorry if I missed the memo on checking that - I've been away for quite some time. - Well, there's a content update taking place right now, I will check it later today/tonight. As well as the update put out today.

Edited by Morrundar

I will post back again later- but either the Prototype Reorder solved the issue or the update/system reboot (if that was performed) today seems to have solved it. I was able to play for about 30-45 minutes without issue this afternoon.   Thank you, Stevinium!  And thanks, Kyp, for pitching in. :)

Glad to hear you got it working better.
The game has been running good lately for everyone.
You'll still have the occasional crash to desktop but it is minimal.
Have fun.

Thanks!  Just making sure to report back in - both machines are working successfully with the Prototype Reorder option checked....now I am looking for Oguns. MWaahhahahahhahaha.

• 5 months later...