Have the developers abandoned this game?

I have posted a number of bugs in this game and have not had one of them addressed. It's been over a month too.

When I start the client it takes about 20 minutes for it to check updates. This used to take a few seconds before last month. In February it took 2 minutes, then the delay got longer and longer and....

When It finally gets done and I click play, it takes another 45 seconds for the policy page to come up. This time is getting longer and longer as the days go by.

Today I go to a job terminal and I get sent to the desktop seconds later. Have to start the above all over again.

This computer is running on Windows 7. Games runs from a 512-G solid state drive.

This computer is 1 year old.

No other mmo has an issue. Asheron's Call is 15 years old and runs perfectly. ESO Beta and LOTRO also run perfectly.

Didn't even start playing other mmo's until I kept getting knocked off the game at the jobs terminal. Instead of having to wait another 20 minutes just to get knocked off again, I started looking for another mmo.

Had this problem was resolved several weeks ago when it first started happening and reported, EnB would be my only mmo.

Notes:

My other computer doesn't have this problem. Everything loads up fast. Don't know about the jobs terminal as I only do them on my main computer above (30" screen, surround sound).

This computer is 8 years old.

The hard drive nearly full.

This computer runs on Vista.

I really enjoy playing EnB over other mmo's,  but these unnerving bugs and macroing (see below) are taking a toll on my patience.

Trying to do jobs is getting very difficult to do manually as many players are macroing them. This kills this part of the game for others when these players are making more and more characters using the macro (automatic 150).

Edited by LagBeast

When I start the client it takes about 20 minutes for it to check updates. This used to take a few seconds before last month. In February it took 2 minutes, then the delay got longer and longer and....

what does it do in that 20min? any text changes somewhere?

It sounds like a conflict with your machine and client. I'm only on win 7, but I have no issues. The real indication is the difference between your two machines.

Microsoft is well known for updating their operating systems and purposely phasing out old tech support.

I would suggest that perhaps a recent critical or optional update from Microsoft may have pushed the enb client into unsupported territory.

I'd also like to suggest that your MMOs, (the ones you listed) are still live and being supported, so their clients have evolved to play on the latest machines.

The enb client is for intents and purposes, dead. It is not supported by its owner and developer. Rumor is, the code that built it went through a paper shredder at sunset.

The EMU devs have only built a server from the ground up that plugs into the client. They support the server and the world. But when it comes to why the client is having a bad day? It's anyone's guess.

Again, I strongly suspect that your machine as powerful as it is, has reached a point that the client is simply incompatable.

My 2 cents

For about 20 minutes it says at the bottom of the client "Checking updates for client". After this extended delay it says "Please select a server and hit play: These are the only changes.

If I click anywhere on the client while it is "updating" it will say "Not responding" up top. If I click on the screen around the client that message goes away.

Maybe I should go online and look for a brand new 9 year old computer :) 

not reponding means just that,not responding,lucky it only takes 20 minutes by that reasoning.

go get your windows updates,check to make sure you have the latest version of .net framework installed for a start.

sounds like its bottlenecking on your end.

startup takes around a minute from shortcut to  char selection.

I have version Launchnet7 2.0.0 How do I tell where it is trying to get its updates from?

I went to the Microsoft Framework site and the latest version I saw was 4.5. When I downloaded that, a message said that the version I had was higher and the install was canceled. I also saw a Framework Service Pack 3.5 in the download section, but I didn't download it. Figured I'd ask you first :)

I looked it up and it says that Framework 4.5.1 is the latest version. That version is on this computer.

Update: I downloaded Framework 4.5.1 and it asked if I wanted to delete my current version of 4.5.1 or repair it to its original state. I chose the latter. After it did its thing and restarted the computer I tried the client again -- no change :(

Both computers have the client set up the same way. All 4 options are checked.

Edited by LagBeast

I've seen this happen before, find your hosts file, mine is in C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc

copy and paste or add the following lines at the bottom, if windows asks what to open it with use notepad.

# 74.208.192.215 local.net-7.org

# 74.208.192.215 sunrise.net-7.org

# 74.208.192.215 patch.net-7.org

You probably only need the patch line but what the hay.

Good luck, may be a longshot but you never know.

I found this file and entered the lines at the bottom as you said, but when I tried to save it says, "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to gain permission."   This is my personal computer and when I looked at the properties of the file "Hosts" it says that I am the administrator :)

By the way, doesn't putting a "#" in front of the numbers turn it into a notation (ignored by the file)?

I think we're on the right track and appreciate you taking the time to help with this problem.

Edited by LagBeast

You need to open the file 'as administrator' to edit it.

you are correct. the # have made the lines comments, remove them.

Just be aware we cannot guarantee that the IP addresses will not change, especially if we move suppliers.

Rolo

You may consider trying some typical network troubleshooting as well.

C:\Users\Kyp>nslookup
Default Server:  homeportal
Address:  192.168.1.254

> patch.net-7.org
Server:  homeportal
Address:  192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    patch.net-7.org
Address:  74.208.132.71

tracert patch.net-7.org
ping patch.net-7.org

Like your math teacher used to say.. Show your work. :-P

I was having issues like that not too long ago. I ended up getting spy hunter (the pay for version) and ran it. It found all kinds of problems including a tool bar I didn't even know was running. Once it cleaned me up all my problems went away. I still have the occasional crash when gating but its 100% better now.

I used to have the same problem, bound to be posts of mine on the forums about it, eventually I followed a few ideas and they seemed to work.

In the long run I re-installed EnB after completely removing all traces of N7 and EnB in registry and following the instructions reloaded EnB then Net7 and let it update etc.

Works fine now except the crash to Meagan and Gate to Desktop now and then.

Running Win7 Sp1 on a homebuilt comp at 3.2Ghz i3 with 4 gig ram, 1 terabyte hard drive and a medium lvl Video Card with only the first 3 boxes ticked on start-up. I only tick the delete TH6 files once a month

Also I run EnB from my Library Computer with is an old Pentium4 3Ghz, 512 meg ram, 80 gig hdd and on-board Video, put win7 sp1 on it, runs fine. Upped the ram to 1 gig yesterday and could multibox 2 accounts

I made the changes in the "host" file (ran notepad as admin. and it saved), restarted the computer, but still have same slow issue.

Kyp, where do I find the network lines you listed? (I'm not a programmer or network tech -- just 35 years of computer user experience)

I use spy-bot (latest version) and it didn't find anything. 

Edited by LagBeast

A looong time ago mine was doing the same thing, the green bar at the bottom of the launcher took forever to fill up checking for updates.

So I put those lines in there and it worked, something must have changed because I # hashed them out.

I just now went in and unhashed those lines and ran the launcher and got a 404 not found for the patch server.

That may indicate that the patch server has changed to a different address.

I used to have the same problem, bound to be posts of mine on the forums about it, eventually I followed a few ideas and they seemed to work.

In the long run I re-installed EnB after completely removing all traces of N7 and EnB in registry and following the instructions reloaded EnB then Net7 and let it update etc.

Works fine now except the crash to Meagan and Gate to Desktop now and then.

Running Win7 Sp1 on a homebuilt comp at 3.2Ghz i3 with 4 gig ram, 1 terabyte hard drive and a medium lvl Video Card with only the first 3 boxes ticked on start-up. I only tick the delete TH6 files once a month

Also I run EnB from my Library Computer with is an old Pentium4 3Ghz, 512 meg ram, 80 gig hdd and on-board Video, put win7 sp1 on it, runs fine. Upped the ram to 1 gig yesterday and could multibox 2 accounts

My older computer has 4 gig of ram on it, but when I run just two accounts the CPU is maxed out. Intel Pentium 3.40 GHz - 32 bit

nslookup  

default server:  www.asusnetwork.net

address 192.168.1.1

patch.net-7.org

Server: www.asusnetwork.net

Address: 192.168.1.1

Non--authoritative answer:

Name: patch.net-7.org

Address 74.208.132.71

tracert patch.net7.org

Server: patch.net-7.org

Address: 74.200.132.71

*** patch.net-7.org can't find tracert: Non-existent domain

ping patch.net-7.org

Server: patch.net-7.orgAddress: 

*** patch.net-7.org  can't find ping: Non existent domain

This is the output from the tools on my machine

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Andy>nslookup patch.net-7.org
Server: cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address: 194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: patch.net-7.org
Address: 74.208.132.71

C:\Users\Andy>ping patch.net-7.org

Pinging patch.net-7.org [74.208.132.71] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 74.208.132.71: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=113
Reply from 74.208.132.71: bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=113
Reply from 74.208.132.71: bytes=32 time=142ms TTL=113
Reply from 74.208.132.71: bytes=32 time=140ms TTL=113

Ping statistics for 74.208.132.71:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 138ms, Maximum = 142ms, Average = 140ms

C:\Users\Andy>tracert patch.net-7.org

Tracing route to patch.net-7.org [74.208.132.71]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 10 ms 6 ms 19 ms cpc3-roth8-2-0-gw.barn.cable.virginm.net [82.47.
202.1]
2 8 ms 11 ms 14 ms brad-core-2a-xe-132-0.network.virginmedia.net [8
1.97.83.177]
3 15 ms 30 ms 11 ms manc-bb-1c-ae7-0.network.virginmedia.net [81.97.
80.117]
4 14 ms 11 ms 10 ms manc-bb-1d-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253
.174.93]
5 14 ms 11 ms 10 ms brhm-bb-1c-et-600-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.
253.175.197]
6 18 ms 14 ms 15 ms 213.161.65.149
7 17 ms 41 ms 16 ms ae1.mpr2.lhr2.uk.above.net [64.125.27.149]
8 93 ms 93 ms 109 ms ae4.cr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.20.73]
9 89 ms 91 ms 90 ms ae1.er1.iad10.us.above.net [64.125.31.206]
10 104 ms 99 ms 102 ms equinix.dc2.ash.oneandone.NET [206.126.236.200]

11 128 ms 128 ms 130 ms te-1-2.bb-c.bry.dal.us.oneandone.net [74.208.1.7
8]
12 139 ms 140 ms 137 ms te-4-4.bb-c.ms.mkc.us.oneandone.net [74.208.1.77
]
13 137 ms 139 ms 139 ms ae-10.bb-c.slr.lxa.us.oneandone.net [74.208.6.10
6]
14 139 ms 139 ms 137 ms ae-11.gw-distp-a.slr.lxa.oneandone.net [74.208.1
.117]
15 143 ms 139 ms 138 ms ae-1.gw-prtr-r5-a.slr.lxa.oneandone.net [74.208.
1.167]
16 141 ms 138 ms 139 ms u16148424.onlinehome-server.com [74.208.132.71]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Andy>

Base on the above try adding the following 2 lines to your hosts file

74.208.192.215 sunrise.net-7.org
74.208.192.215 patch.net-7.org

This should tell your PC where the domains are as for some reason it does not seem to be able to track them correctly.

Rolo

Aye. If this was an old obsolete computer I wouldn't mind so much, but it was the very best game computer I could have custom built. I wouldn't expect anything to be amiss. Especially when all other games regardless of high their requirements; play flawlessly.

Just re-read first post.  2 computers, the older one works fine, new one doesn't, seems like something wrong with new computer, not the EnB Server.

All the signs are pointing to something on your 1 yo computer. Can you do a restore and go back a few updates and see if an older restore will load EnB at the faster speed? If so, look at what has been updated.

Don't know if you have tried this already, but bloatware tends to upset EnB as it is +12 years old now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have restored it several times, but the new updates have to be on the computer eventually. EnB started slowing down several months ago. Now it takes a half hour to come up. I start it and then go read emails or play another game while I am waiting. If the server drops me while in a group, I'm just screwed.

I guess the answer may be to erase all parts of EnB on this computer and then start again fresh, but if it still messes up I will have no choice than looking for another mmo. There's no way I can have it this way while raiding in the end game. Besides, it is getting really slow leveling cl after 42 and I'm just not into such a slower and slower grind. Its just not worth it anymore.

A lot of guildies do combat missions and say that is much faster, but the second I touch a jobs terminal the game crashes to desktop and I have to wait another 30 minutes. Most times when this happens I am so disgusted by it, i just go play another game or mmo for the day.

I really love EnB and would really miss it if I left, but to live with this turmoil just to play I will not miss. Again, if this computer works flawlessly to play other mmo's I'm not going to change everything by recovering to a point 9 months ago and messing up everything else. EnB will just become a good memory.

So EnB is ok on your older computer? If so, it is your new computer you need to look at, something is slowing it down your end, EnB is still as fast as ever.

Actually the updates do not need to be added, if you have good virus protection you are covered.

Most of the time the updates are updating bloatware not the actual operating system itself.

I mention this because I use 2 computers where I work at my library and they have a 'test' version of Win7 SP1 Ultimate on them with a 'test' version of Office 2010.

I have never updated them and EnB works fine,,, err everything I do and use on them is fine, and I'm 'testing' a wireless connection from across the road to run them on the internet at 150kps.

That's why I mention EnB is still as fast as ever.